Hard wiring mount rather than using mini-USB

John Gorst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my mini 0803 GPS running in my car for a week now and thought I should share how I mounted it.

I find that having the mini-USB cable plugged in makes the wiring more obvious and bulky..... so I cut off the micro-USB connector, dismantled the GPS mount, drilled a hole in it and soldered the +ve and -ve wires to the circuit board (I am not a soldering expert so quite easy!). I also wired it directly to a 12--5v transformer connected straight to the fuse box to avoid the extra bulk of a cigarette adapter.

Here is a photo of it taken apart and in action.

I can also let anyone know how to fit to a Seat Alhambra (2011+) taking a switched feed from drivers side fuse box, up A frame and along headliner without any unscrewing or damage! No wires visible at all! You only have to remove the driversside A pillar cover which is 'easy'.

IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0780.jpg Untitled.jpg

They reach....just.... and only because the camera is pointing slightly down.

Only problem is reflection off the windscreen.... I assume this is made worse by the angle/distance the lens is from the screen.

Ideally I would have liked it behind the mirror but the mirror is too bulky making not enough room behind it when adjusted for my wifes driving position..... also it would have to fit on the passenger side of the mirror and the rain sensor and mounting for factory fit lane/sign camera (if fitted, but the plastic is still there regardless) gets in the field of view.

Deva ju.... (yes, on purpose).

I recently did the same thing at the miniUSB, although I'm still using the acessory port at the other end. https://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrski/15138756646/

In my case I didn't mind the 'bulk' of the miniUSB connection...it just wasn't reliable at all at (loose / intermittent power contacts).

I put an insulating tape between mont and micro usb conection and solves the problem.

I did try shimming and pinching the miniUSB metal connector shell a bit, see if I could just tighten up the connection. Didn't cut it for me. Even when it was 'connected' I could see the screen backlight flickering. Now that I've hard-soldered it, as John did, no more apparent issues from that source.

I stick mine on the opposite side in a RHD behind the mirror where you've got more room to play with due to it being tilted towards the driver - that way it keeps it completely out of your field of view. On the plus side this way you know if it's recording or not!

I can't really tell but is that the new 0803 mount you modified? Looks good anyway, I am not too worried about the mico usb connection on the mount on mine, but i did hard wire it in to the ACC wire with the hard-wire kit from foxoffer.

Does the 0803 have a setting to flip screen. I live in Australia, driver on left side of road and want to put it left of my rear view mirror but would prefer wires to some out towards the mirror stalk rather than the left hand side.

Does the 0803 have a setting to flip screen. I live in Australia, driver on left side of road and want to put it left of my rear view mirror but would prefer wires to some out towards the mirror stalk rather than the left hand side.

even if it did there isn't enough rotation to get it aimed correctly if mounted the opposite way in most situations

even if it did there isn't enough rotation to get it aimed correctly if mounted the opposite way in most situations
I've not seen anyone complain about that and some people do mount it upside down. I thought it was about 180 degrees rotation?

Even without a setting, the video always comes out the right way up, although some firmwares do have an Australian setting where the video always comes out upside down...

I've not seen anyone complain about that and some people do mount it upside down. I thought it was about 180 degrees rotation?

Even without a setting, the video always comes out the right way up, although some firmwares do have an Australian setting where the video always comes out upside down...

unless it has changed recently it's always had about 90 degrees of rotation only

unless it has changed recently it's always had about 90 degrees of rotation only
Just tested mine, you are correct, it has exactly 90 degrees adjustment, which when mounted on my windscreen is 45 degrees up from horizontal and 45 degrees down from horizontal.

When mounted upside down you need to put a wedge under the mount with an angle of at least 45 degrees and 90 degrees being ideal (eg a cube) - is that why it is supplied with two sticky pads? Of course that varies with the angle of the glass.

Back