Hardwire a Cigarette Lighter Adapter + VIDEO

niko said:
thomasgatt said:
Hi guys,

I bought this Mini 0801 cam and would like to wire it to my car. Which converter do you recommend please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161103549489
Thanks
-----------
Thomas

Hi Thomas.
Do you want to wire it to the reading light or to the main fuse box?

Thanks for your reply. Not sure which one is best - what do you recommend?

thomasgatt said:
niko said:
thomasgatt said:
Hi guys,

I bought this Mini 0801 cam and would like to wire it to my car. Which converter do you recommend please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161103549489
Thanks
-----------
Thomas

Hi Thomas.
Do you want to wire it to the reading light or to the main fuse box?

Thanks for your reply. Not sure which one is best - what do you recommend?

If you not going to be using motion detection recording when car is parked, then it, ok to go with reading lights connection using 12v to 5v converter like trancen added pictures above.
If you do want motion detection rec when car parked, then wire to fuse fox using battery discharge device.

Here 8s good video explaining on how to wire Power Magic Pro to fuse box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't I use a cheaper converter to connect it? Like the DC converter on this thread?

thomasgatt said:
Can't I use a cheaper converter to connect it? Like the DC converter on this thread?

yes you can hard wire 12v to 5v converter to fuse box as well, but you have to remember if wired to constant battery power, it will not shut down / start up dash camera and in parking mode / motion detection you will risk to drain your car battery. You need to connect it positive to ACC ( ignition ), negative to any ground.

Cheapest and easiest way, if dont want to wait 3-4 weeks delivery of that converter from China, is to use DIY of your dash camera cigarette charger plug like "Chris" recommended in the very beginning of this thread. Just hardwire it to main fuse box acc + ground.

If still planning to use dascam for parking motion detection, then need battery discharge device.

Does the mini 0801 consume a lot of power? I use my car a lot and I would only need motion detection power while I'm out with my car. Probably for about 5 hours maximum? The rest is the battery of the car is being charged.

So basically that converter is good to hardwire in the fusebox right? But that will drain the battery if used a lot - do you think 5hours using the battery is a lot for the battery? Do you think it will drain after 5hours of motion detection recording only?

Thanks again for your help and prompt replies!

thomasgatt said:
Does the mini 0801 consume a lot of power? I use my car a lot and I would only need motion detection power while I'm out with my car. Probably for about 5 hours maximum? The rest is the battery of the car is being charged.

So basically that converter is good to hardwire in the fusebox right? But that will drain the battery if used a lot - do you think 5hours using the battery is a lot for the battery? Do you think it will drain after 5hours of motion detection recording only?

Thanks again for your help and prompt replies!

Its all depends on capacity of your car battery and how old it is, on type of battery etc. Because standard batteries are loosing their mamory by long run. Also depends how much you drive each day. If only short distances, then battery will not have time to recharge to its max potential.
Also you have to remember that within 5h you can get 1-2 short motion detection video recordings, but some time whole 5h activity. Depends where and when you park your car ( shopping centre / mall , day time ? ). So there are many things to consider if want to use direct constant battery hard wire. Best is not to risk and buy battery discharge device or external battery pack. They are fairly cheap.

You are right!

Many thanks for your feedback - much appreciated!

thomasgatt said:
You are right!

Many thanks for your feedback - much appreciated!

U R welcome.
You may also check thread below. Guys sharing a lot of good advises there:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2363

Last edited by a moderator:
technically yes, some of those converters can be a bit electrically noisy so you'll have to see how you go if it impacts GPS, radio reception etc, it may or may not, very cheap to to test at least though

Back