Has VIOFO improved long term reliability?

Foogoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Of the 8 A119 V1s I installed five years ago 6 have failed capacitors. I emailed Viofo after seeing a post here that they will send replacement capacitors but the response I got doubted the capacitors were at fault and said they were not user reparable. Considering that the caps were all either swollen or very obviously leaking when I opened them, I'm pretty sure that's the problem and they were brushing me off.

I'm considering replacing them with A129 Duos but am a little soured by my experience. Will I end up replacing them again in a few years? Has their quality improved? I'm hesitant after sending a few hundred dollars down the drain with my A119 experience and no help from VIOFO.

If your capable of soldering and you need capacitors just order them from your favorite electronics supplier. I never get component parts from the OEM. Most OEM's don't sell electronic components. I use Mouser electronics. I own a 2017 A119 and it's still in service as a rear cam on my 2nd car. I would buy another Viofo when one is needed without hesitation.

am a little soured by my experience
@viofo @VIOFO-Support
The warranty for Viofo dash cams is 1 year.
If you got 5+ years out of ‘em, that means you got 4 years of “free money”.
Viofo has no obligation to service your cameras out of warranty, but they often do anyways.
I have seen them go above, and beyond for their customers here on DCT time, and time again.
It’s possible those cameras are old enough, they don’t have spare parts anymore.
You didn’t “send a single dollar down the drain”, instead you got 4 extra years of free use.

considering replacing them with A129 Duo
In terms of reliability multi-channel dash cams “always” seem to have more malfunctions than single channel dash cams.
You may even be more lemon faced going from single channel to 2-channel dash cam.

If I were you I would email Viofo again, and request a discount on some A119 Mini 2’s or the upcoming VS1.
Anything less than STARVIS 2 & HDR, and you’ll basically be getting the same image quality as your A119 V1’s.
Or, you can try your luck with a different brand.
And good luck with that.
-Chuck

I'm hesitant after sending a few hundred dollars down the drain with my A119
But they worked for 5 years?

If you got 5+ years out of ‘em, that means you got 4 years of “free money”.
The way I read your comment one might assume that viofo are only designed to last a year! I know that's not what you meant lol.

If i got 5 years service without any problems from the units and divided that with my purchase price for example purchase price $100 over 5 years = $20 per year.
Everyone will value their money differently so everyone will have their own view on value. Longer life of course is always hoped.

Side note. It will be possible to source the caps but it does require some skills with a soldering iron.

TBH i do not expect to get more than 4 years out of a dashcam, also in 4 years things have moved so much forward i would want to upgrade anyway.

I cant recall for sure but what was the A119, IMX 291 sensors ?

For sure a A 119 mini2 would blow it way out of the water.

one might assume that viofo are only designed to last a year! I know that's not what you meant lol.
Of course you already know this, the “golden era” of 1980’s Japanese consumer electronics was the best the we ever had.
Sony walkman, VCR’s, tape recorders, boom boxes, answering machines, car & home stereo equipment, and all the other gadgets lasted 20 years, or more with some still working today, (and never required a firmware update. lol)
Today all we get is rush to market, half finished products with little R&D, and even less quality control.
Consumers have unwittingly become their own R&D staff, and QC Inspectors at the hands of manufacturers.
That said Viofo dash cams are the only ones I‘d spend my own money on, or recommend to family & friends.
Of course Viofo dash cams are not design to last 1 year.
I expect them to last 18 Months with “product registration”.
Just kidding. Lol
After 18 Months we'll probably have some other advancements in image quality worth upgrading to.
I’m expecting the Thinkware U5000 to add HDR for 2027. Lol

Power User .png

Reactions: LMN
Of the 8 A119 V1s I installed five years ago 6 have failed capacitors. I emailed Viofo after seeing a post here that they will send replacement capacitors but the response I got doubted the capacitors were at fault and said they were not user reparable. Considering that the caps were all either swollen or very obviously leaking when I opened them, I'm pretty sure that's the problem and they were brushing me off.

I'm considering replacing them with A129 Duos but am a little soured by my experience. Will I end up replacing them again in a few years? Has their quality improved? I'm hesitant after sending a few hundred dollars down the drain with my A119 experience and no help from VIOFO.
Shall we know your ticket number? We do not suggest our customers install the capacitors themselves. In most circumstances, we will be glad to replace the cameras for them to avoid unexpected malfunctions.

I've been using dash cams for almost 14 years now and have had hands-on experience with dozens of them. I am now entering my 5th year using the Viofo A119 V3 as both front and rear dash cams and they have performed absolutely flawlessly! They are the most reliable dash cams I have ever owned with the possible exception of Mobius cameras which I've had in service for about ten years but they are basically a different class of camera. It wouldn't surprise me if the V3s will last that long too but well before that I will migrate to newer, more up to date models. For now, they do what I need and they do it well.

On almost every score, from design, to performance, to reliability, to customer service and support, to value for money, to their forthcoming and generally helpful presence on this web site, they are about the best in the industry and I say that from the perspective of being a ten plus year member here on DCT.

After 18 Months we'll probably have some other advancements in image quality worth upgrading to.
I’m expecting the Thinkware U5000 to add HDR for 2027. Lol
So true about advancements.
AI should start to show up in Dashcam units soon.
If Dashcam makers moved away from combined chips this would move much faster i expect.
Just have a look at the size of the brain in an iPhone it's tiny. I know it costs a lot but that's the type of designing that will propel very smart Dashcams.

Manufacturers having an active presence on this site certainly helps customers to have confidence in their products.

Of the 8 A119 V1s I installed five years ago 6 have failed capacitors.
I'm considering replacing them with A129 Duos but am a little soured by my experience.
Shall we know your ticket number? We do not suggest our customers install the capacitors themselves. In most circumstances, we will be glad to replace the cameras for them to avoid unexpected malfunctions.
Viofo at it again;
Taking lemons, and making lemonade. Lol
Nice work Viofo, I see you getting a “lifetime loyal” customer out of this.

AI should start to show up in Dashcam units soon.
I lament any kind of bell & whistle feature in a Viofo dash cam that does not improve;
1.) Image Quality
2.) Reliability
3.) Durability
I hope they just continue what they keep doing.
My only wish would be for them to figure out a way to get better heat dissipation.
And if they can do that, I hope they crank up the Bitrate & fps options. lol
Oh yeah, and include a 64GB Viofo SD Card, and Hardwire Kit with every camera. lol
That should reduce tech support inquiry, and increase overall consumer satisfaction.

My A119 V2 also needed a capacitor replacement. Viofo sent me the capacitors out of warranty and I got them replaced at an audio service store.

Answer your question - overall, yes. Support has also improved. What I'm glad about is the improvement in their engagement on DCT.

Yeah every tech product is gonna have a certain failure rate. I just got this comment from earlier today, for example.

IMG_0301.jpeg

I've run many Viofos over the years. I've had 2 A119 series dashcams fail. One was a USB power plug that broke and the other I think was an LCD screen? The others have been okay. I've got two in my in-laws vehicles and to the best of my knowledge they're still fine. I've also got an A139 Pro in my wife's car and my car as long term dashcams and they've been fine.

To gauge overall reliability though, I polled as many people as I could and I got the most input from Viofo owners, I guess due to the popularity of their dashcams. I wish I got even more sample data of course, but overall from that poll it didn’t look like Viofo was worse than the competition.

Last edited:
I can not claim any lower durability on the Viofo cameras i have tested VS others, but of course i have not run them for extended durations.
After in car testing i most often continue for a while in my living room window, here the cameras will get 10 hours of daily use, with OFF / ON being simulated by a mains timer.

But any brand can make duds, the deciding factor is how they handle that.
I am also pretty sure with my gloomy take on the worlds population, that a great many would try just about anything to get a new camera, even if they probably do not deserve it.

To gauge overall reliability though, I polled as many people as I could and I got the most input from Viofo owners, I guess due to the popularity of their dashcams. I wish I got even more sample data of course, but overall from that poll it didn’t look like Viofo was worse than the competition.
I remember that poll & video.
That must have been a crap ton of data collection, and hours & hours of processing all the feedback.
I didn’t participate in your poll research since I’m a “tester” and I didn’t want to introduce any bias.

October 2020 I purchased a second Viofo A129 Plus Duo from BBMC, (the first was sent for test & review by BBMC).
I installed both units to make a 4-channel set up in my Grand Marquis.
I also purchased the 3 year extended warranty ($33) administered by Consumer Priority Service;

The reason I purchased the 3 year extended warranty is because the A129 Pro Duo I purchased February 2020 died after 21 days of “bench testing” use.
I ran it 12 hours per day to make sure it was functional before my 30-day return policy expired.
After 21 days the GPS module “fried”, and would not function.
The very next day the speaker exploded.
I just happened to be sitting in my car parked in the garage with the camera running and it “exploded” right in my face.
It let out a loud POP like a fire cracker, and I saw smoke coming from the vents.
I smelled the camera, and it had that distinct “burnt electronics smell”.
The camera continued to record but there were no more button beeps, or stop recording beeps.
I said eff this, and returned it while I was in my 30-day return period.

Fast forward Summer 2023, and one of my A129 Plus Duo’s started to malfunction.
The camera would “freeze” after 30-60 minutes (not record to SD Card).
The camera continued to be powered up, and give the appearance it was functioning, but did not provide the audible beep error it usually does when there is a recording malfunction.
After a few days of diagnosis I discovered the REAR camera pooped the bed, and was causing the main / front camera to lock up.
After checking the serial number the malfunctioning camera was the one I received for test & review so I could not file a warranty claim on a “free” camera.
So I just disconnected the REAR camera, and continued to use it as a 1-CH camera.

The very next week the second “under warranty” A129 Plus Duo had the same exact malfunction.
Since I still had 6 months of extended warranty coverage I decided to file a warranty claim.
It took two weeks of back & forth emails with the extended warrant administrator to realized the entire company, and how they process claims is an adversarial relationship designed to discourage the consumer from completing a warranty claim.
I filmed videos documenting the malfunction, and emailed them to show proof of the malfunction.
They told me to ship the camera to them to begin the warranty process, (consumer pays shipping cost).
They told me if they cannot duplicate the malfunction I will have to pay them to ship the camera back to me.
They told me if the malfunction could be duplicated they would send me a check for 50% of the cost of the camera.
This would not make me “whole”, I assumed I would get a replacement camera, or replacement value to purchase a new camera, (that’s my fault for assuming).
I started researching reviews, and complaints about Consumer Priority Service.
After learning this information I decided there is no way I could trust this company.
So I happily disconnected both REAR cameras from my A129 Plus Duo’s, and just run them in 1-CH configuration, and cut my losses.
I figured I got 2.5 years of reliable service life out of a 2-CH camera.
The cameras are still functioning properly today, however in only 1-CH configuration.
Of course I’m bummed my 4-CH system is now only a 2-CH, but I do not feel cheated, or soured with my experience.
I received good value for the money I spent on the camera.

Attachments

• Order #37621 .png
    Order #37621 .png
    160.5 KB · Views: 5
How do these VIOFOs maintain the date & time without power? A battery or capacitor? If it's a battery, is it end-user replaceable?

How do these VIOFOs maintain the date & time without power? A battery or capacitor? If it's a battery, is it end-user replaceable?

Dash cams generally have an RTC (real-time-clock) battery to maintain the time and date. If you have GPS that camera will also update the time (based on the time zone you've set) on a regular basis using the satellite signals.

The RTC battery is a rechargeable button cell battery that is soldered to the main PCB. They tend to last quite a long time but they do fail eventually. To replace one you would need to remove the existing battery by melting the existing solder and then solder in a new one. This can be a little tricky but is quite doable.

rtc_battery.jpg

Crap, that's not a good thing. Why can't these companies make it easier to replace these batteries without soldering ?

How do these VIOFOs maintain the date & time without power? A battery or capacitor?
RTC Battery.

it end-user replaceable?
If you have a small screwdriver, and basic DIY skills, yes.

RTC Battery .png

Back