HD or better, capacitor model, power bank compatible - help!

CharlieGirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great forum. I read the guides. But I'm hoping for some recommendations.

HD resolution or better.
To fit behind the rear view mirror, so ideally wedge shaped.
Permanently fitted is fine.
Able to capture night footage ok.
Preferably a capacitor rather than an internal battery.
Microphone
Able to accept power from a power bank when the ignition is off.
Motion detection parking mode - or alternatively one I can leave on to continuously record while the car ignition is off.
G-shock/collision detection to lock incidents.
£150 max. Cheaper would be better.

I don't need an LCD screen, GPS, voice control, lane warning, etc.

Thank you!

look at A119 or A119S, they should be in your budget and meet most of what you're asking for

This one does look promising.

Looks like you can buy it with or without GPS. GPS isn't important to me, I'd probably prefer not to have GPS tracking, speed/location, except that GPS means the time and date are automatically updated which would be helpful.
So my question is, if I buy the GPS model, but disable the GPS tracking, with the time and date still update automatically?

edit: if you set the data and time manually does it need to be reset each time you start the camera up or does it keep track of time on it's own even when off?

So my question is, if I buy the GPS model, but disable the GPS tracking, with the time and date still update automatically?

I don't recall if it does, there was some talk about this happening but not sure if the firmware has been adjusted to do that already or not, maybe @CaptureYourAction will know, he's very knowledgeable on these models

I don't recall if it does, there was some talk about this happening but not sure if the firmware has been adjusted to do that already or not, maybe @CaptureYourAction will know, he's very knowledgeable on these models
Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's been implemented in the firmware yet. I will test this now and write back with an update.

It seems it has not been enabled in the firmware. With GPS off, it will not set date and time on the A119S with firmware V2.2. I assume the same will be true for the A119 v3.4 firmware.

There is a small RTC battery that will hold the time and date, so once you set it manually, they will hold.

I am leaning quite heavily to buying one of these now. Unless someone suggests an alternative to consider by tomorrow morning. I see you can buy a polarizing lens to fit over the camera on this model to reduce glare/reflection. I'd definately get one if it was mounted lower down but I'm wondering if it will be an issue at all with it mounted behind the rear view mirror?
It seems it has not been enabled in the firmware. With GPS off, it will not set date and time on the A119S with firmware V2.2. I assume the same will be true for the A119 v3.4 firmware.

There is a small RTC battery that will hold the time and date, so once you set it manually, they will hold.

Thanks for checking, that's good to know there is a RTC.

worth noting as well that you can choose not to embed the info in the video, even if the data is logged to file

Yeah that's handy to know. I think I'll probably still skip the GPS mount though as I can't see any real use for it really.

I've read some reviews and apart from the usual situation where some people get duds it seems to deliver most of what I need. It sounds like the parking mode doesn't switch on automatically when stationary which is a pity as I won't use it otherwise but I guess it'll be ok to just keep the camera in continuous recording mode instead. I think I'm going to order the A119 version rather than the S version.

I see you can buy a polarizing lens to fit over the camera on this model to reduce glare/reflection. I'd definately get one if it was mounted lower down but I'm wondering if it will be an issue at all with it mounted behind the rear view mirror?

position on the window is less relevant than the angle of the window and the dashboard finish as to whether you will have reflection issues or not, try it and see, it's something you can always add later if need be

Fitted the camera and used it a little. We're pretty happy with it, seems a good purchase. Nice and discrete. I'll have to adjust it a small bit as it's slightly too close to the rear view mirror, the camera can pick up the edge of the mirror mount on the very edge of the video. Doesn't obscure much but I can be a bit OCD!

We're going to need a polarizing lens, quite a lot of reflection from the dash.

Pretty good picture in the day. Very good for the price. Night recording not as good, obviously, but at this price point I can't complain and wasn't expecting too much. Hopefully it'll be better in our next cam - I'd still like to end up with one in the back so if we end up buying a better one at some point then this can get moved to the back. Just a case of waiting for technology to move forward I guess.

Haven't tried playing with the settings or the parking mode yet.

If your windshield is dirty and/or pitted, nighttime quality will suffer greatly. Make sure they are clean, inside and out. It can make a big difference.

Back