HDR - False & Misleading Advertising

Well, this is not a proof, it is just an assumption. If you have turned around and give another go with HDR Off, we have known for sure.
The other example is not adequate also, because are different situations, different positions, maybe different speed.
So, if you want to dispute the general consense on this forum

Maybe I have not expressed myself clearly enough, but I am not disputing any sort of consensus. I never said that HDR is good or bad, nor provided suggestion to anyone whether they should be using the feature at night times or not. I merely shared my experience and findings. My post was in regards to low contrast conditions as well as low contrast/difficult to read state plates and motion - I was pretty clear about that I think (the only accident I ever recorded and was asked to share video was in the same garage, so for me the performance in these conditions matters).

And yes I did drive by the same area with HDR off and got better, sharper result, and yes both of second shots were taken at around 45mph on the same drive with the only difference being the lane chosen and the one shot positioned less favorably had better quality regardless, but if that's also yet another point for you to pick on (the other user was picking on my word choice, where I'd think it was clear what I meant) and question my contributions - I'll pass, not going to be proving anything - this was a discussion and I thought it was about contribution and not proving points. Apparently I've voiced an unpopular observation that triggered a lot of fuss, so I'll keep clear. Interesting thing for me is you all pretty much agreeing with my findings but yet argue that I am wrong in something when I never claimed to be right in the first place - I shared my observations, not more, not less. The fact that I stated was about HDR being a 2 consecutive images blended into one, which in low contrast and during motion will result in more blur and artifacting, that was my fact - I did not claim any other facts. Hope this clears up a bit what my intentions were.

Ultimately use whatever you feel better suits your needs!

Last edited:
Before the HDR came out, most dashcam companies advertised the WDR, we thought WDR is almost useless.

(A119 V3) “True” HDR ----Almost the first dashcam implemented the HDR on IMX335, we call it TRUE HDR means it really helps to improve the video quality, like some times we call the 4K camera REAL 4K, as there are too many fake 4K cameras on the market.
(A119 V3) “Multiple Exposure” HDR -----This is how the HDR works, more technically.
(A119 Mini) “HDR Super Night Sensibility”-----The main chipset updated, and the HDR is perform a little better than on V3.
(A119 Mini 2) “DOL-HDR” --- This is what Sony called on their sensor spec, users can find more related info on the internet.
(A139 Pro) “HDR Night Vision 2.0” -- With the IMX678 sensor, it seems to bring HDR to the next level.

All over HDR tech is the DOL-HDR.

Sony explained in detail about the DOL-HDR and CLEAR HDR on their official website.

We thought there is some disadvantage of clear HDR for night recording, maybe not suitable for dashcams.

In the future, maybe there is 3 frames HDR tech, expect to see how it performs.

Wow! This is the best post I have seen on dashcamtalk from a manufacturer.
We thought there is some disadvantage of clear HDR for night recording, maybe not suitable for dashcams.

My hope was Sony's Clear HDR was the answer to blurred images due to in part multi image HDR which doesn't make any sense to use on a fast moving vehicle in less than favorable lighting conditions.

Thank you for your honest and informative view.

Indeed, the WDR has no such huge effect as HDR, but it also plays an important role in balancing exposure in the change of bright and black areas to make the videos clearer.

Yes WDR, I was wondering about the exposure when it came to changes in bright and dark areas. WDR does have a role to play.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mtz Dash Cam Discussion 19
Back