Hello from new member and first time buyer

Borg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A119
Hi everyone.

I found this forum while researching dash cams and have found lots of helpful articles here. I do not have any experience with dash cams and this will be my first purchase so, I have lots to learn. I've checked out the links on the @DashCamMan What to Buy Sticky. The Dashcam Comparison Tool has been very helpful in narrowing down what I want. I just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work that many of you have clearly put into the forum.

I was in your shoes just 48 hours ago, and after researching I opted for the Street Guardian model. It came within 24 hours, from Amazon, and I so far couldn't be happier with the device itself, the pre and post sales support, and the quality of the images. The images are clear and I can easily see plates. I haven't tried it out at night yet, but will do so in a few hours :)

My research indicated that a lot of the cheaper units use traditional batteries, which don't stand up well to summer heat inside vehicles. A lot of people on the forum were complaining that the units last 3-12 months, due to battery failure. Several models use capacitors instead, which are rated to about 150f (70c) heat conditions. I believe the battery or capacitor is used after you turn off your vehicle, so the unit can cleanly save/close the video and power down in an orderly way. (it only powers it for a few seconds). Otherwise you might get corrupt memory cards and damaged files. I think models with a metal case and a glass lense (instead of plastic, which might warp) will also hold up better in hot conditions. I could be wrong about these things, but that is what I got from reading a LOT of posts.

Good luck in your search!

Yes, I have lots to read. However, from what I've reviewed so far, the Mini 805 is looking like the best fit for me. Discreteness and image quality are two main factors plus I don't think that I should spend too much for a first purchase. I live in Virginia but the car isn't parked in the sun a lot - usually it's in a garage at home and work. I have read about the pros and cons between batteries and capacitors. While I would choose a capacitor model for its reliability and heat resistance, I didn't see any that met my current requirements in other areas. Thanks again.

Yes, I have lots to read. However, from what I've reviewed so far, the Mini 805 is looking like the best fit for me. Discreteness and image quality are two main factors plus I don't think that I should spend too much for a first purchase. I live in Virginia but the car isn't parked in the sun a lot - usually it's in a garage at home and work. I have read about the pros and cons between batteries and capacitors. While I would choose a capacitor model for its reliability and heat resistance, I didn't see any that met my current requirements in other areas. Thanks again.

Get one with a capacitor to begin with, you'll thank yourself in the long run. A119 from Viofo is one to look at, it meets your criteria.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Welcome to the party Borg :)

Get one with a capacitor to begin with, you'll thank yourself in the long run. A119 from Viofo is one to look at, it meets your criteria.

This one on Amazon? A119. That looks interesting. Thanks. I looked for it on the comparison tool but didn't see that exact one. Otherwise I'll look for a spec sheet and compare it manually.

Yes, that's the one. Few threads around with lots of samples and feedback. Check it out..

Maybe I should try one of those A119's also. (for the rear of the car,because it seems I keep getting rear-ended at stop lights) It doesn't have the gps or bracket or other stuff, which I wouldn't need anyways for my application.

Yes, that's the one. Few threads around with lots of samples and feedback. Check it out..

Thanks. I did finally find a comparison for the A118 which I assume is an earlier model. I'll check the forum threads on the A119.

I got rear ended in October, sadly at just that time my rear camera failed due to me not fixing the power supply issue i knew i had.
But my insurance was more than happy with footage from my front camera, and the right side one that captured the car behind mine stopping too as a reflection in the glass of a door.
But the 4x4 driver with his nose in the phone did not see the 2 cars in front stopping for pedestrians in a crosswalk like you have t o do here.
Needless to say i don't have the power supply issue any more :)

FF to 2:00

I ordered the Bleskysea A119 and Spytec CPL and hardwire kit from Amazon today. Looking forward to getting everything over the next two weeks. :D

I ordered the Bleskysea A119 and Spytec CPL and hardwire kit from Amazon today. Looking forward to getting everything over the next two weeks. :D
Welcome!
While A119 has very good quality, be sure to check threads on their issues.
Nothing too bad but it'll help avoid few things that sometimes cause it to not record.
A lot of issues are resolved in newer firmware.

Welcome!
While A119 has very good quality, be sure to check threads on their issues.
Nothing too bad but it'll help avoid few things that sometimes cause it to not record.
A lot of issues are resolved in newer firmware.
Thanks, I've been here since July and have been watching the issues. I haven't been reading them too closely since there have been many updates over the last four months. I'll definitely be re-reading those threads when I get it.

Back