Hello

Monkey B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, full disclosure: I have just signed up to ask for some pretty basic advice, and not even on dashcams .
I hope you will be gentle with me and /or direct me to somewhere more appropriate. thanks in advance!

I have two dogs and I want to use something like a dashcam to record their behaviour during walks and during training.

A mobius camera, with end-facing lens, attached under the peak of a baseball cap seems like the best way to do this, but I'm not tech-savvy, so I'm a bit confused :(

Is anyone up for answering questions on mobius cameras please? I won't inundate you until I know if I'm asking in the right place!

welcome to the forum Monkey B

While the mobius are nice little cameras, they have been surpassed, if i was you and adamant about putting the camera on the brim of a baseball cap, then i would look at the gitup F1 instead.

The F1 also have EIS, though not up to par with the new super EIS in gopro and other action cameras, it is there and work better than no EIS ( only at lower 1080p resolutions EIS do not work at the full true 4K resolution )

Thanks kamkar1, I hadn't heard of the gitup brand and that certainly looks like a contender, still within my budget.

Are there any other cameras with the same length-ways configuration? I do think that the baseball cap is the way to go - I will only ever want to record what I'm already looking at, then re-watch it later (preferably with option of slow motion) to understand more about dog body language and behaviour.

Night vision and speed blur are not issues for me.
Size and weight seem to be very similar, and price is comparable, so those aren't issues either.

Connectivity is probably the main consideration - I don't have a laptop or PC, nor home broadband; just an android phone with generous data allowance. The phone is a Huawei p30pro, so no micro SD slot, although I still have my old Sony Xperia, which does take micro SDs.
Does any of the above make my decision easier? I have the impression that I'd need a PC or laptop to use the mobius, but there's an app for the gitup - is that right?
I'd like to be able to record for up to an hour at a time - would this be possible?

Sorry if I have too many and too basic questions! I really appreciate your help already(y)

No if you are walking, then EIS or a gimbal are a must have as otherwise the footage get very frustrating bumpy footage to look at.
If you only have a phone to view or share footage from that is a limitation too worth considering, i automatic assume everyone have a PC as that's the kind of guy i am.
You can also playback on most modern televisions as they have USB ports you can plug a card reader into, and a build in player,,,,, i personally have too old eyes and a much too much hate for phones to look at phone screens, I only have a phone so my dear old sick mother can get in contact with me.

The wifi transfer speeds from the wifi of any camera are still quite modest, but once you have gotten footage onto your phone as i understand it they or at least your P30 have ample power to edit the footage there.
So moving masses of footage from a camera are still pretty slow, but your only option as you just have the phone, in general it is much faster than the speeds you will get off the memory card itself in a good USB 3.0 card reader ( full red speed in a card reader so card read speed determine that and that's often around 100 MB a second or up there at least, where wifi can be down around 20 MB second transfer speeds )

The new action cameras like the new gopro and dji osmo action and so on have almost unreal electronic image stabilization, so you can litterally jump around on one leg with the camera in hand, and it will look as if the camera are on a gimbal or hovering on a drone, the F1 do not have that kind of image stabilization, but what it have should smooth out regular walking at least.

Video with EIS working and violent shaking cameras.
Runcam and foxxer have also made cameras in the same shape category as the F1 and mobius, but these like the F1 are also on "old" hardware, so on them EIS are also not as super as on the very new cameras.

You might also consider a 360 camera like the insta 360 one x, but that will not mount on the brim of a baseball cap, but it do have very good EIS and you have a 360 degree footage in which you can pick out a regular flat footage to export.
The good thing here is improved EIS ( Electronic Image Stabilization ) over the F1 for instance.
Most new action cameras support headstrap or a chest harness, but even though they are wide angle, you still have to point them in the general direction of what you like to capture, so for a dog scouring around at your feet a head strap might be the better of those 2 options,,,,,, though it do look a bit silly with a "headband" like that and a camera on your forehead, bit the camera will always be pointing in the direction your head are facing.

Newer action cameras like the osmo action ASO are however a bit more expensive than a F1 for instance.

Thanks again for the detailed information.
I have spent the last few hours following leads, watching YouTube reviews and checking prices, and yes I definitely agree with you that the gitup is the best choice (I also discovered the hawkeye firefly q6, but rejected it).
I'm going to see if I can pick up a really cheap mobius from ebay in the next couple of weeks; there is an android app now, (and a dedicated hat mount is available, although I intend to improvise something instead). If I don't find a mobius cheap enough, or if the results are too disappointing, then I'll get the gitup after all. Tax will push the price up significantly, but it will still be a good bit cheaper than the osmo and similar.

But one thing I am certain of: I won't be wearing a head harness :oops: (it would scare the dogs away!)

Be aware the Mobius are a camera that have seen its shares of fakes / copies, there is a qualified vendor list somewhere

Be aware the Mobius are a camera that have seen its shares of fakes / copies, there is a qualified vendor list somewhere

I hadn't thought of that, but I'll be looking for a cheap used one from a seller with good reviews.
There's one on ebay now open to offers, but it doesn't say which lens it has. I have messaged the seller to ask; I'm thinking that I need the wide-angle, yes?

Yes and they all are except for the very first "A" lens, the mobius i had was with the "B" lens, and there are now C & C2 and so on lenses, but as i recall all are wide more or less to the same degree.

Well, I'm committed now!
Much as I'd love a gitup, (£81.88 on banggood) tax and custom charges were probably going to push the price up to over £100.
I got the mobius on eBay for £30, including a micro SD card, and from a recommended seller. It just seems more sensible for my first try at this. For some recording, I will be stationary so the EIS won't be needed, and the mobius is also around 30g lighter and slightly smaller. The app for android is only a few pounds, so not a big deal.
If I get the hang of the technical side, then I can look forward to a definite improvement in results by upgrading later. I have ordered a card reader too, which I would still need anyway.

So, thank you once again for your help, I'm so glad to have found this forum.
I hope to come back and post my first results soon

Last edited:
Back