Help with JPG photos quality

CreativeBR

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hello,

I need to take photos with 2 secs interval with the best quality that is possible (max info less treatment).

The RAW+jpg script doesn't work for me as it needs more than 5 sec of interval to work properly.

So my last option is to deal with the built in time lapse function and JPG but that watercolour effect is terrible.

Do you know any script that can help me with this? I have found many of them but they seem to have made to movies not photos.

Thank you very much for the help.
{}s

for RAW timelapse:

sleep 7
#RAW+JPG
t app test debug_dump 14
sleep 1
#MAIN LOOP thanx VOTerra
while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 5
rm \DCIM\100MEDIA\*.jpg
done

but the interval must be at least 5 sec... Otherwise the cam can't write the file RAW, I think...

Thank you Palarran but that is the cause i can't use this script. I need the photo taken in 2 sec interval.

Hello,

I need to take photos with 2 secs interval with the best quality that is possible (max info less treatment).

The RAW+jpg script doesn't work for me as it needs more than 5 sec of interval to work properly.

So my last option is to deal with the built in time lapse function and JPG but that watercolour effect is terrible.

Do you know any script that can help me with this? I have found many of them but they seem to have made to movies not photos.

Thank you very much for the help.
{}s
I have a need for this also. Still can't find a solution.
I believe it is caused by noise suppression but I haven't found a way to reduce it sufficiently yet.

Thank you Palarran but that is the cause i can't use this script. I need the photo taken in 2 sec interval.
If you also want raw files, I think it's impossible... I think it's a cam's limit...

I don't need/want raw. I have several hundred pictures from each aerial photo shoot and don't have time to mess with raws just want better quality JPG's.

No i don't need RAWs just pictures that in detail not show that watercolour effect.

8)

I guess we are out of luck for JPG improvements.
There is no reason that JPG's could not have close to the same detail quality as raw when shooting in full daylight at 100 ISO.
There seems to be a minimum noise reduction set for JPG's that is way too high.

No i don't need RAWs just pictures that in detail not show that watercolour effect.

8)

I'm not sure, but I think that some instructions in the video scripts could be use with pictures.

No reason? Learn more about JPG.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG
No JPG compression is not the problem. With my 16mp DSLR I can compress the JPG file to 50% with not much loss of detail but when I add just a bit of noise reduction you immediately see the watercolour effect. Thats the reason I feel that if we can find some way to get the noise reduction to a minimum we will see an improvement in the watercolour effect.

Your 16mp DSLR and 2:1 compression is out of place in this discussion about our $70 action camera which is doing 10:1 jpg compression. You said there was no reason the camera's jpg could not approach the level of detail of raw images from the same camera, under controlled conditions. I'm certain there is ample reason that's not going to happen. JPG compression is one facet of many, while noise reduction is another, neither of which we have the tools to affect, as you rightly implied when you said, "I guess we're out of luck..."

Last edited:
Perhaps you could try some parts of the HDRScript, like
Code:
#SET HDR TRIM LEVELS, SET GAMMA
t ia2 -adj l_expo 163
t ia2 -adj autoknee 255
t ia2 -adj gamma 255
or from HDR Script Night, the 100% jpg quality line :
Code:
#SET JPEG QUALITY TO 100
writeb 0xC0BC205B 0x64

Or from the Yimax script

Last edited:
Your 16mp DSLR and 2:1 compression is out of place in this discussion about our $70 action camera which is doing 10:1 jpg compression. You said there was no reason the camera's jpg could not approach the level of detail of raw images from the same camera, under controlled conditions. I'm certain there is ample reason that's not going to happen. JPG compression is one facet of many, while noise reduction is another, neither of which we have the tools to affect, as you rightly implied when you said, "I guess we're out of luck..."
Good grief don't get your r's in a knot.
Just trying to explain that its not JPG compression but noise reduction causing the watercolour effect.

It doesn't work for me :/
This command supposedly sets the noise reduction to zero but it doesn't work for JPG's either.
#set noise reduction value to 0-16192
t ia2 -adj tidx -1 0 -1
I should say it does a bit but not nearly enough.

Last edited:
any news about this serious issue? :(
If the simple noise reduction parameter doesn't work maybe we can do something with the goprawn.config file?

I see parameters like these
chroma_median_filter.enable 1
chroma_median_filter.cb_strength 160
chroma_median_filter.cr_strength 128
demosaic.activity_thresh 3
demosaic.grad_noise_thresh 32
sharpening_fir.fir_strength 64

Back