Help with Speed Data

ty1911

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Nexar Beam
Hi everybody,
I just joined because I really need help. Yesterday, my wife was pulled over for speeding. The officer showed her the radar and it said 68 MPH. She has a Nexar Beam and it does not show the speed on the video, but on the SD card there is a .txt file that appears to be a CSV type of file. When I opened it using Excel, one of the columns appears to be speed (I can see a steady speed (55ish) and then slow to zero when she is pulled over). I tried to open the files using DashCam Viewer (free version), but the speed does not show up. If anyone can offer any advice to somehow get the speed data onto the video or anything else, We would really appreciate it! I have both Mac and Windows 10 computers. I don't mind purchasing software if it will do what I need. I could only attach the .txt file, but I can try and link the .mp4 or the .dat files if you think that would help.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210908_145333A.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 5
Not familiar with that dashcam, but my guess is that the speed in the file is recorded in knots and so matches the police speed gun…

Best to use the software supplied / recommended by the dashcam manufacturer if you want to fight it but I doubt you will overturn police evidence since they do claim to have a valid measurement.

Use it as a learning experience, turn on the speed overlay on the video, and check it occasionally to see if your wife needs to slow down or pay more attention to driving!

Vehicle speed can also be determined by the video footage as a result of distance in time ( between say a sign and a lamp post in the footage you can go measure the exact distance in between )
No court would take into account the sayings of a cheap un calibrated piece of measuring equipment,,,,, but the time in the video and distance traveled however that is established mathematical facts.

As nigel say the listed speeds might be knots, also the brand should have their own player software as the problem you saw with dashcam Viewer is probably a result of that model not having support in the software.

No court would take into account the sayings of a cheap un calibrated piece of measuring equipment,,,,
They will if it is the best evidence available, but that is not the case, so you would need to discredit the police device first. And make sure you understand your measurements and that they really do show that you were legal!

Thank you everybody.
@Nigel I am sure your best guess is correct. If I convert her highest speed in the video (57.318) and convert it from Knots to MPH, I get 66 MPH which is really close to the officer's reported 68 MPH.
Also, I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that a way to get the speed is to create a Collision Report. Long story short, the report says "64.40 mph Approximate speed before impact." When that is converted to knots is 55.96 knots. I attached that pdf.
The law wins again...Case closed.
BTW, I started looking for a dash cam with speed embedded in the video so there is no question next time...

Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• post-collision-report.pdf
    433.7 KB · Views: 3
Speed in the footage are pretty standard, and in most cases you can also have it off, some seem to prefer that even if the video itself are still there, some also have a option for adding coordinates to the footage, but personally i just feel it clutter up the image.
Many also use the accompanying dashcam player software, or one of the none branded ones like dashcam viewer, i also did when i was new to dasshcams, but now i have no need to see where i drive on a map, i know that looking at the video, so i just use a ordinary media player ( potplayer in my case )

It is a good thing to be suspicious about anything public really, but most people there are just trying hard to do right and make a living, while other public servants ( well at least in Denmark ) try their best to kill any joy in working for these people.
We actually just come out of a record long strike among nurses here,,,,, fortunately we Danes are in a good place in regard to that damn virus, but about 80.000 surgeries have been delayed due to the strike.

If I convert her highest speed in the video (57.318) and convert it from Knots to MPH, I get 66 MPH which is really close to the officer's reported 68 MPH.
Sounds like she has either been very unlucky for the police to spot her at her absolute maximum speed, or far more likely they were waiting in the exact spot where everybody hits maximum speed! Most dashcams have the GPS slightly filtered to remove noise, so being a couple of mph below the police maximum speed is not too surprising if there was a spike in the speed due to an overtake or short downhill section.

Use of knots in the files is normal, GPS was developed for navigation, initially for ships, and then planes, both of which use knots.

https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2021/

Back