Hidden dashcam and power supply

literakl

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
I am lazy person. I would like to have some dashcam in my car but I worry that I will have to install it before each ride and uninstall it before leaving the car. This is very inconvenient and I doubt I would do it unless long ride. I know there are small dashcams that I can put behind the rear view mirror. But I worry that it still will be visible to thiefs that will break the window to take it. The second problem is how to supply a power there? Having USB cable over windshield seems odd. How long can last a battery in dashcams?

What would you recommend?

I know there are small dashcams that I can put behind the rear view mirror. But I worry that it still will be visible to thiefs that will break the window to take it.

Welcome to DCT. Some DashCams are so small & discreet it's unlikely that a thief would see them, e.g. SGZC12RC & Mobius ...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. And how do you manage their power supply? Do they need USB cable or can they run from internal battery?

the bottom one there has a battery but maximum run time of 2 hours, if you don't drive a lot could be workable, ideally cameras need to be powered from the car, hiding the cables is not difficult in most cars

The plus side about the Mobius is that it's relatively inexpensive, can be hard wired in and is quite discreet.
20151120_123235.jpg
In the future I think I'll have my friend who owns a sign making shop cut me a small piece of black vinyl to install on the inside of the window first, that way you can't see the gray square of adhesive.

This is what you can see if you're 7ft or taller:

20151120_123300.jpg

Welcome to forum @literaki.
What is your budget ?

As an example of discrete installation, below is Street Guardian SGZC12RC installed in my car. You can discretely install it in front, or rear, or even on side doors. Has upercaps, 5 sec pre-buffer recording, parking / motion detection etc.

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

Right side.jpg

Left side.jpg

Most people do not notice a Mobius since unless you look closely or already know about them, it does not look like a cam to most people who will think it's a rain sensor or some other factory car part. It will fit your budget but be sure to either get a kit or order the needed SD card, mounting bracket, power supply, and cabling separately as it's usually sold with just the mounting sleeve. It's a good cam and a great value for the price.

Phil

Back