Hissing

I can't hear anything wrong on my laptop (weak speakers)
Do you have the gain on low/medium/high?
Do you hear the noise if you record outside the car? (or in another car)

I have problems hearing it too with my headset on, there are some rattle at one time, so i guess you havent installed the foam pad on the mount.

Should be mentioned my headset is pretty bad and only mono now, and my ears is just about 50 years old

More info:

http://download1479.mediafire.com/rqfrtvm3naog/8wcjfaf8sb19quf/SG9665GC_User_Manual.pdf
Page 19

EVA foam pads – may be used if the camera has movement on the mount to eliminate any rattles, once the 3M tape bonds the bracket will pull into the shape of the window, this can allow some movement of the camera on the bracket, the EVA foam will allow a more secure fit and will eliminate rattles.

6KaVJdk.png

Hmmm Yeah try using ear phone. I hear the rattle and will try the pad

There was no rattle till you turned to right. Use RVA foam pad. However there is some sort of "background hissing". Try to record with engine running then stop engine ( do not pull key from ignition ) continue recording for 20-30 sec, then check video on PC comparing video ( audio ) recording while engine is running vs when engine is off. Maybe there is a poor ground in your power supply loom ?

Okay will try that in the morning, thanks for the quick reply

So to update, I recorded while the engine was running using the hardwire I ran in my car, then I switched the engine off and recorded for another 20 seconds or so. Then I used the power cord that came with the camera, to try and rule out the grounding issue and repeated. In all instances the background hiss was there and it didn't change in volume or anything, it remained constant.

Also I attached the foam pad and now the camera is very snug and the rattle heard in the video is gone, however because I have the mount attached to a part of the windshield that is tinted, I'm hoping the foam will press in a little bit and allow the camera to be detached a little easier, or else I may run the risk of pulling the tint off trying to remove the camera if I have to.

Anyway I tried looking for an option to adjust the gain as pier28 mentioned but I didn't find that option, only to turn the mic on/off.

Okay so lowering the gain does seem to help quite a bit but of course all other sounds are impacted which is expected. Setting it to Low makes the hiss go away almost completely but recorded audio become much too low and high gain does the opposite. I've found that medium seems to be an OK place to be for now and will leave it on medium for a little while to see how that works out for every day use, if not I will just go back to High.

Maybe a ferrite choke on the power chord ?
A hiss is often indicative of something thats traveling along the power.

I'm not sure if that's it because i've tried the power cord that came with the cam, as well as the hardwire, which is the CPUSB01 which i also purchased from pier28 website. It could be that the car itself may be causing it, but without another vehicle to try it in, I can't tell if that's really the case or not.

If it turn out to be a camera issue you will get a new one, i am sure @Pier28 will be all over it in that case.

You might be able to try it at home on a mains USB charger for somthing, i have been running my SG9665GC often for static testing on a charger for somthing else.

It's definitely not alternator noise. (too constant and occurs when the engine is off.)

Try to run without the GPS attached to see if that helps. (In theory, the GPS wire could act as an antenna to pick up electromagnetic interference.)

As already suggested, run it outside (and away from) the car. (Try this both with and without the GPS attached.)

If the issue doesn't occur outside the vehicle regardless of GPS, inspect the ground contacts on your car battery. In most vehicles, the battery, alternator and chassis are all connected to form "ground." If any of those connections are bad, it can cause "hum" (or hissing) in electronics.

If the issue doesn't occur in the car with the GPS disconnected, try adding or removing the little extension cable supplied with the camera kit to the GPS wire. (The idea is to change the length of the wire.) That wouldn't REMOVE the noise, but if it CHANGES the noise, then you know something is going on with the GPS wire acting as an antenna.

If the GPS is picking up noise, there are two Bad Things happening. The first is that the GPS wire is picking up noise. The second is that the EMI exists to begin with. (Which, ironically, can exist also because of bad grounding. Troubleshooting that, however, can be a royal PITA.)

Thanks for the suggestion Gary, I will check the ground that's connected to the battery, that's the only thing you suggested that I could try as I don't use the gps antenna at all.

Back