Holiday greetings

• Thread starter Deleted member 24437
  • Start date
Merry Christmas from Hong Kong / Shenzhen! :)

What is everyone planning to do for New Years?

Fireworks have become too boring, so i will just sit on my ass and pour free 12 year Chivas into my face.
Okay we do have a little left over fireworks we found cleaning my friends fathers house, so we will launch that and probably film it too.

Happy New Year, everyone!

FWIW today's game plan is pack to return to the US from Germany, hang out with family, raclette this evening, champagne at midnight, and then watch each of the neighbors burn a ton of Euros in about 5-10 minutes. Great fun and doesn't cost a (Euro) cent.

Happy New Year, everyone!

FWIW today's game plan is pack to return to the US from Germany, hang out with family, raclette this evening, champagne at midnight, and then watch each of the neighbors burn a ton of Euros in about 5-10 minutes. Great fun and doesn't cost a (Euro) cent.

Sweet! Which part of Germany were you in?

Bad Schwalbach, near Wiesbaden, west of Frankfurt.

The fireworks were a bit thin this year. We had mis-fires at either end of the block. V. exciting.

You would have been disappointed - not a lot of strings of firecrackers, and not a dragon in sight. [/wink]

Are firecrackers illegal in Germany now too ?
When i was a kid we got ours from down there, nice big ones easy able to make mosh out of a hand.

Last edited:
Sale is permitted from 28 Dec. thru 31 Dec. The really big batteries go for € 50-100. Most of the small stuff is in the € 5-10 range. I'm quite happy to let the neighbors set fire their wallets. [/laugh]

Oh, referring to "strings of firecrackers"? For some reason, there weren't a lot of "light one and jump back" strings. There were some one-shot crackers that sounded more like small explosives. And the rockets were good for bangs and booms, but not a lot of extended "small arms fire". I guess it happened elsewhere, but the neighbors were mostly putting stuff in the sky. Or trying to. A couple of shots wound up zipping down the street, I expected to see at least one parked car with burn marks, and the wind blew some sparks onto roofs. [/eek!]

Last edited:
When i was a kid we got ours from down there, nice big ones easy able to make mosh out of a hand.

I'm impressed by how well the camera did with this situation. Having a wide FOV is a definite win for something like fireworks all over the sky. Too bad it's so hard to mic fireworks.

For anyone who just can't get enough of fireworks, check out Terry Walsh's Really Slick Screensavers - Windows & Linux.

DIY fireworks? And you still have your fingers, hands, etc.? Oh my! I tinkered with that and, in retrospect, marvel that I didn't kill myself or burn down the house.

Wow..... This is sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Back