Home security camera

Captain

Reaction score
Country
United States
sorry bout that

Last edited:
Are we talking multiple cameras or just 1?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I am using several Hikvision models for a few years now - no problems, reasonable price from B&H Photo.

Well I have a samsung one. But it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with it. When you are looking for a camera for home you need to think about the following:
1. Do you want one or multiple?
2. Do you want it to be wireless, wire or both?
3. Do you want it to save to a dvr, an sd card or a cloud?
4. Do you want it to have a backup power?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

This is not a dashcam question, but I know there are some savy guys on here who know cameras. There have been a rash of robberies and break-ins where I live and I would like to have a good, reasonably priced, motion activated camera. Any suggestions?

Arlo made by netgear. It’s motion activated and has free storage for 7 days. There is an app for it, and it’s wireless...easy setup. Theyre maybe 150 a camera last I checked. It’s the best one to me currently if you don’t want to spend a lot and drill holes in your house

I use Hikvision as well. I have a 12 camera setup and they all work great.

Arlo made by netgear. It’s motion activated and has free storage for 7 days. There is an app for it, and it’s wireless...easy setup. Theyre maybe 150 a camera last I checked. It’s the best one to me currently if you don’t want to spend a lot and drill holes in your house

i had the arlo system for a while (5 cameras) and i can’t recommend them. it does have a great app and it is nice that it’s completely wireless. when it came to actually recording events, it was lacking. there have been times where the video captured would just show the delivery man walking away after dropping off a package at the door. it relied on PIR detection to wake up and start recording and that made it miss too much of the video. always powered solutions will be able to use pre-buffered motion detection and will record moments before an event. it won’t miss crucial seconds like the arlo did.

i currently use (and really, really like) the yi home cameras. i have 7 of them running at the moment. there is a PC app available for the system but i believe you may still need a smart device that runs android or iOS for the initial setup.

Last edited:
Hehe yeah it seem like today people cant even wipe them self without a smart phone.

I am not that well into these little "smart" home security cameras, but i think many of them have a memory card just like a dashcam, and function in sort of the same way with a little sprinkling of CCTV flavor.
But i am unsure if you need a smartphone or tablet ( android or IOS ) to get up and running, or if you can do that with any wifi thing like a laptop.

When you have found something that caught your eye its a good idea to have a look on youtube for reviews of it, there are also a slew of videos called something like "the top 10 best home cctv cameras" or something like that, those videos might be able to steer you onto other brands / models to explore.

My own and my friends CCTV gear are semi pro / more expensive and troublesome at least to set up, the past 2 days we have worked to over midnight to get his 3 last cameras up and running on his farm / house ( encountered a little trouble along the way )

I just read that high speed internet is to blame,,,,, personally i dont think so, its the devise in peoples pocket thats to blame.
And of course humans now being so stupid ( in a age of information ) that thy become addicted to,,,,, well nothing in my eyes :rolleyes: cuz i cant imagine they get a buzz out of the phone like a joint or whatever will give you.
Social media should be taxed to pay for curing people of their addiction, as they are deploying smart code to keep people in their web.
And if they dont want to share some of their evil gained money,,,,, ban their services and put a lock on their assets, so their only option are to retire to what ever hell hole tax haven they have their money hidden in.

Even if this force me to change to linux, cuz i will admit i am a slave to Microsoft,,,,, i know this but i need help to curb my addiction.

It's not a matter of money. I paid 250 bucks for my flip phone. It does all I want a phone to do, mainly communication. It will make movies. I don't think walking around with your head down staring at a phone all day is very smart.

I too don't use a smartphone but rather a flip phone like you and I more than most certainly don't advocate walking around with one's head down staring at a phone all day as I'm someone who never does that. I use an iPad mini to configure my WyzeCam and view the remote files it produces via WiFi and was merely suggesting that with an inexpensive tablet you could do the same, all without the need for a smartphone. I was only trying to offer some helpful advice in regard to your "problem of not having a smartphone" but I don't particularly care for your attitude, so I'll just wish you good luck with your security camera endeavors and let it go at that. :)

If you have a spare pc kicking around that meets the minimum spec, you could get a 2mp Hikvision Cube:

https://us.hikvision.com/en/product...2-mp-wdr-network-cube-camera-ds-2cd2422fwd-iw

It's an indoor model, but a "proper" CCTV camera, unlike some of the cheap Chinese cameras out there. Picture is supposed to be very good in both daylight and lowlight for this type of camera.

You can download the manual from the page linked above to see what's involved. I haven't run one of these, but looking at the manual it appears the software is included. You just need a spare pc and probably you want a Western Digital Purple Hard Drive to store the recordings to (the purple drives are specially for CCTV and endurance).

If you have a spare pc kicking around that meets the minimum spec, you could get a 2mp Hikvision Cube:

https://us.hikvision.com/en/product...2-mp-wdr-network-cube-camera-ds-2cd2422fwd-iw

It's an indoor model, but a "proper" CCTV camera, unlike some of the cheap Chinese cameras out there. Picture is supposed to be very good in both daylight and lowlight for this type of camera.

You can download the manual from the page linked above to see what's involved. I haven't run one of these, but looking at the manual it appears the software is included. You just need a spare pc and probably you want a Western Digital Purple Hard Drive to store the recordings to (the purple drives are specially for CCTV and endurance).
This is one of the Hikvisions I use (others are outside) Rock solid, set it and forget it.
Just make sure you buy it from approved re-seller, otherwise may not be compatible with latest firmwares. (I got mine from B&H Photo)

BTW, don't be tempted by the 3mp cube - the 2mp has much better low light sensitivity.

You could solve that problem with a basic, inexpensive Andriod tablet that you can find for about 40 or 50 bucks at your local Walmart or online.

Before you take this route, be sure your specific Android device is supported and that you are free to return it or the cam(s) for a full refund if it doesn't work out as it should. This tablet I'm using right now has what is supposed to be an adequate and compatible OS for two dashcams I bought. One app worked partially and the other not at all. Nobody knows why and nobody knows what to do about that except to say it's not their problem but mine. I wouldn't have wasted my money on this POC tablet had I known this beforehand, and now I don't have the funds to try something else.

Phil

Before you take this route, be sure your specific Android device is supported and that you are free to return it or the cam(s) for a full refund if it doesn't work out as it should. This tablet I'm using right now has what is supposed to be an adequate and compatible OS for two dashcams I bought. One app worked partially and the other not at all. Nobody knows why and nobody knows what to do about that except to say it's not their problem but mine. I wouldn't have wasted my money on this POC tablet had I known this beforehand, and now I don't have the funds to try something else.

Phil
Sorry for your loss Phil. More sorry that some companies are dishonest and don't stand by their product. Street Guardian doesn't seem to be one of those. Unfortunately they don't make a home security camera. But I'm pleased with my SG dash cam...and SG customer service...so far.

I think Android is more at fault than the maker of these two cams I refer to. They have many versions of what is called one version- in my case #7 Marshmellow Each of those #7 versions behaves differently. Phones and some tablets with #7 work flawlessly with these apps which might change if they make the app functional for me. I can't really expect them to make possibly two dozen app versions from the start to cover every current Android version, then make another every time Android does a new version. Nor can I expect them to actually test every device that uses a given version as that could be 100+ different devices. But I do wish they would make it clear that buyers should not have any expectations that their apps will actually work. And I do wish they would make every possible effort to make their apps at least basically usable for everyone who is using a version of Android they say is suitable.

(Here is where Jokin would chime in about screen-equipped cams being better- and I will not argue his point because he may be right!)

And how can I fault the maker of the tablet when it does everything it's supposed to do and it does have Android #7 on it, just a funky version of it? They too never made a clear promise that it would work with these apps, even though that is the only reason I bought this bloody thing. They too need to make it clear to buyers to have no expectation that their tablets (or phones if that's what you're using) will actually function with any specific app even though the app was designed for that family of systems.

It's a dilemma and trap that I don't want anyone else to have to deal with. Nobody should find out too late that they're screwed and will have to buy something else when nothing is actually broken. Sorry for the rant folks, but you should know the deal before you make it and be sure that someone promises you a way out if their device which should work doesn't before you part worth your money. Otherwise be certain that someone with the exact same set-up you plan to use reports it as fully workable before you buy or you may end up with a rant of your own.

Phil

Back