Hot Pixel from Germany

mdh3

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello
Please send me the "hot pixel" instructions - i found a big ugly hot pixel in all night recordings.
My cam: SG9665GC V2
Thank you!

A thread with a title like this could well be about some hot German blonde called Pixel. :cool:
Sorry about the off-topic but when you let your mind wander, these things are bound to happen. :p:D

(Gosh, did I just sounded like @kamkar1?) :eek:

I'm a little confused about SG9665GC calibration at this point.

Wasn't it supposed to be "perfect" coming from the factory after the problems were addressed and wasn't it supposed to then be "locked".

I can understand that maybe it isn't always perfect coming from the factory despite the public reassurances that this problem was resolved long ago, but I was under the impression that "locking the sensor calibration data into a protected memory area" implied that the user would no longer need to or be able to calibrate further, as well as not allowing it to get overwritten during firmware updates.

I base this thinking on @Pier28's post from October 15, 2015:

"They locked the sensor calibration data into a protected memory area so it will no longer get over written during the next firmware update. Once the sensor is calibrated perfect at the factory, it will stay that way for the life of the product".

Last edited:
That was my understanding last year but the reality is my last post.

The challenge with calibration is when we do them in the factory on a brand new sensor and not every bright pixel shows up in such a short time.

Meaning some still turn up now and again even after our extra effort and triple QA.

That was my understanding last year but the reality is my last post.

The challenge with calibration is when we do them in the factory on a brand new sensor and not every bright pixel shows up in such a short time.

Meaning some still turn up now and again even after our extra effort and triple QA.

I get that this camera still manifests a chronic issue with hot pixels and calibration.

My confusion was based on the statement, "They locked the sensor calibration data into a protected memory area........it will stay that way for the life of the product". I wasn't clear that the user could still re-calibrate "locked sensor calibration".

for example, a video on the official website, which is usually the best.
About 10 pixels in DVR much more expensive in price

anitU.jpg

and this is another representative of this brand, is this normal?
I have almost every BlackVue had from 2-3 to an infinite number of pixels.
all is known in comparison!

aniur.jpg

============

nothing is perfect!
And you are constantly dripping on the brain, with contrast, pixels, and other problems.
The manufacturer is aware of this and does everything possible to eliminate why you need to constantly batter the same, or have nothing to occupy your time?

.... in addition, further comparison

Last edited:
just want to clear up a few things about hot pixels, bright pixels, dark pixels, stuck pixels

every dashcam out there has them, the sensor is about 7mm square or thereabouts and has over 2 million pixels, a couple of pixels that show up is completely normal, when the sensors are calibrated it doesn't change anything about those pixels that are a problem, it just masks them so that you don't notice, eg; any pixel that shows up as a bright pixel during an all dark scene, or shows up as dark or a different colour during an all white scene are mapped to memory and disabled during those types of conditions based on the information from surrounding pixels

we did remap the memory in the V2 to move these settings to the protected area of memory so that they don't get overwritten during firmware updates, in the V1 product it would get wiped out when updating (this changed in later V1 firmware to also move to a protected memory area) so in the earliest version it all got undone when updating the firmware

different sensors and different chipsets have different ways of dealing with this problem, we did try a dynamic method which actively addressed this issue on the fly, it worked very well at suppressing this effect and no bright pixels could be seen, the downside though was it had this effect like it was over sharpening the picture and the picture quality was not good, a sharp picture with a couple of bright pixels is a far better option than the alternatives, if they improve this in the SDK we would of course look at giving it another go but right now it's not worth the tradeoff in image quality

as @Pier28 mentioned it is hard to catch every pixel on a brand new sensor, we have moved to doing the calibration after the aging test (aging test is 8 hours run time on each camera) to increase how many pixels show up, more could show up after further use but at least the option is there to re-calibrate if desired, some solutions don't allow that option for the end user at all, this is always more noticeable in 2mp sensors as the individual pixel size is larger, when you're talking about higher megapixel sensors the individual pixels are much smaller and much harder to see, a calibration process is used as well but they can be a lot less obvious to begin with so even the odd one is still there they can be very hard to spot due to the individual pixel size

lol @ 'constantly dripping on the brain'. I'll have to write that one down. ;)

A thread with a title like this could well be about some hot German blonde called Pixel. :cool:
Sorry about the off-topic but when you let your mind wander, these things are bound to happen. :p:D

(Gosh, did I just sounded like @kamkar1?) :eek:
hey, mdh3 maybe a girl and referring to hot pixel as a man? I googled hot pixel and found him, heres a hot pixel. its a man.:(:(:(:(:(

mayMatty1.jpg

Back