Hot yi

Kwei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else's yi get bloody hot. Every time I use it for a time or leave it on without recording. Or even if it's charging my yi gets hot. Can't be long till it cooks itself

known "issue" - its a sports camera, needs to move to cool down :p

I don't have any issues even with the bitrate at 30Mbit/s.

it depends on ambient temperature and solar radiation (if the sun shines on the cam or not)

I tested mine yesterday at the sun with temperatures above 35 degrees celcius. A very hot day.

for how long? it raises slowly, but steadily

30 minutes on my little 50cc bike. :)

= you were moving = moving air cools camera down

Yes i know, but i was not riding fast and even the air was hot and dry.

still better than still air.

Yes of course, but if you let the camera on the sun even turned off it will get very hot. :p

Yes of course, but if you let the camera on the sun even turned off it will get very hot. :p
I agree. This is one hot Yi :D
19045769320_fa8ee26e83_z.jpg

Natasha Yi btw.

Efoo. Good effort. I've had the camera since launch really and never had much bother. Or really noticed much heat. But now it can just be charging in room temperature and get bloody hot. I live in Scotland rooms aren't terrible hot here. Which sports do you recommend to do whilst charging to keep cool.

... it can just be charging in room temperature and get bloody hot.
Mine is barely warm whilst charging. I connect it to a charger; not a PC. I do recall a post about a hot yi on charge which advised that the Yi should be switched off before connecting a charger, and that is what I do.

Mine gets really hot if its recording at 35 mbit 60 fps with wifi on. Or if its charging while connected to a pc.

Mine gets really hot if its recording at 35 mbit 60 fps with wifi on. Or if its charging while connected to a pc.

Same here. Wifi off, 1080 60fps gets pretty hot. Also gets hot when charging.

Guys, dont forget the Xiaomi Yi does not include any cooling fan in it. Ofcourse the Yi can get hot because it has to record and save at the same time. Next to that, 1080p 60fps recording drives the Ambarella chip to work hard. And when using scripts it even has to work more harder. That its getting hot isnt a really big issue. It probably will shutdown itself once it reached the max. temperature.

If you record on 1080p 60fps (and 35Mbps) the Ambarella chip gets warm (ofcourse it get warm). Beyond that, if you use the WiFi module aswell it even produces more heat inside the small housing. The heat cant get out easily aswell, so the heat will be stuck inside. Also, dont forget the small LEDs are getting VERY hot aswell. I noticed that once I had to change the focus of the Yi. After 2 minutes the LEDs were hot already. In the Xiaomi Yi app there was an option to turn them off.

Last edited:
Back