How do I adjust a 12mm Lens please ? (Nextbase 512g)

Januarius

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals, my first post.

Been having constant focus issues with this dashcam, and have managed to dismantle it safely, but not sure how to set-up for the lens tweak. I see I have to break the glue seal on the fine outer thread, but am I missing something beforehand? I intend to link it to my 55" TV so as to really get a good crisp image, then superglue the thread again. Is there perhaps something else that should be attended to without damaging the beast? It can't be the UV polarising filter - have tried that. Still fuzzy, or does one say blurry? Oh dear. It's a 2015 model.

Many thanks all.

...then superglue the thread again. Is there perhaps something else that should be attended to without damaging the beast?
Don't use super glue as, from what I understand, it could affect the lens coating(s).

OH, thank you! I had been wondering which glue to use...

AS @DT MI mentioned DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE!! It can a permanently fog your lens beyond repair and potentially damage the sensor.

Use UV curing cement which is available in small quantities in an application pen and includes a UV light source such as this one:

UV Glue with Light, 5 Second Curing Glue Pen (the Amazon page uses the term "Super Glue" but you can ignore that.)

or any of these:

Also, to "break the seal" for the existing lens (which is already glued with UV activated cement) use a heat source such as a hair dryer to soften the glue. Then carefully clean the threads before screwing in the new lens. Be careful not to overheat the lens when you apply the heat. Once you focus the new lens carefully apply a small quantity of UV cement around the lens where it meets the lens holder and then apply the UV light for 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:
Well thank you Michigan and California!
From your new friend in London :)

You're very welcome!

Personally, I happen to live in Vermont though. People sometimes confuse Uncanny Valley with Silicone Valley, especially those pesky Californians! :smuggrin:

The way I have done it in the past is to have a second camera aimed at the lens while focusing the first. Then I synchronize the videos from both cameras (some motion visible to both cameras, (clapboard?) as a reference point) and watch where the best focus at the distance of interest happens so you can see the position of the lens at that time.
The problem with viewing the live video is that it is often much lower resolution than the recorded video, making it hard to see when it is in focus.
Do not use superglue. It outgasses as it sets putting a white film on everything nearby. It is also permanent, so you can't try again if you screw it up. I would suggest a hot melt glue.

Back