How does the rear camera receive power?

FerrisFry

Reaction score
Country
United States
How does the rear camera receive power? (I plan on mounting it on the rear window.)

Does it connect to the front camera? Or does it connect to the fuse box? And if so, are 2 fuses needed, 1 for the front cam and 1 for the rear?

Do I need (should I use) a power magic pro? I saw an OBD one, but it seems they're no longer available, are the ones that go to the fuse box better? Will the power magic pro power both cameras?

The power and data are transfered through a single coaxial cable from the front unit.

So only front cam is connected to the power of a vehicle.

no no no, it comes from the Flux Capacitor and The Force.

LOL

Mike

Do I need (should I use) a power magic pro?
If you want the cam to record with the ignition off (I.E. in a car park etc.) then YES you do need a PMP. If you have no need of this facility, then you don't need one.

If you want the cam to record with the ignition off (I.E. in a car park etc.) then YES you do need a PMP. If you have no need of this facility, then you don't need one.

Funny thing is, some cars have always-on accessory outlets. My old Crown Victoria Police Interceptor does. It's a little annoying, to be honest. :p

BlackVue's OBD is available and is called the Power Magic EZ.
How does the rear camera receive power? (I plan on mounting it on the rear window.)

Does it connect to the front camera? Or does it connect to the fuse box? And if so, are 2 fuses needed, 1 for the front cam and 1 for the rear?

Do I need (should I use) a power magic pro? I saw an OBD one, but it seems they're no longer available, are the ones that go to the fuse box better? Will the power magic pro power both cameras?

Coaxial cable that connects between the front and rear cameras.

Separate cable for power to the front unit (which in turn provides power to the rear camera via the coaxial cable). You'll need 2 fuses (a constant and an ACC fuse) if you're hardwiring via Power Magic Pro.

BlackVue's OBD is still available and called the Power Magic EZ - this is a simpler plug and play system over the traditional hardwiring method with the Power Magic Pro.

Back