How To: Assembling a completely discrete Mobius Cam inside a Navigation Device?

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I had this idea already years ago but never had a concept how to reassemble my idea. Not too long ago a manufacturer brought out a dash cam which was build inside a navigation device but the video quality was horrible thus not usable for me.
And as some of you may have heard, dash cams are now prohibited in germany. Finally that was the reason now to start poorly assembling my little project. I used my mobius and a freebie navigation device.

The problem is that I'm a very, very bad tinkerer and I have no idea how to stick the board of the Mobius into the casing:

The second problem is that the lens is too long so it's a bit more noticeable, of course this problem is not solvable:

Maybe some of you guys can give me a little advice or help!

PS: I'm very sorry for my bad english.

Does it get hot, i can't see heatsink?

Why is dash cam illegal in Germany?

Will it be too hot in the gps casing?

This is an interesting idea. I would suggest replacing the battery with a super-capacitor for an installation like this. It would avoid all the usual problems with a hot battery, especially in this custom shell.
The GPS case looks like it could probably benefit from a heat sink and or some type of improved ventilation.

P.S. - I think your English is just fine; nothing you need to apologize for. In fact, it's better than some native English speakers here on DCT! :)

P.P.S - This type of post really belongs in the DIY forum. I took the liberty of asking DCM to move it there.

Just looked at the pics on a proper screen, forget I said anything!

Last edited:
If you want to save yourself some time you could always get something like this
images
or this
SPT-CAM-019.jpg

Does it get hot, i can't see heatsink?

I runned the mobius the last year without the heat sink. I thought air circulation had a better effect than the heat sink.

Why is dash cam illegal in Germany?

Will it be too hot in the gps casing?

I just run it twice for like 30 minutes in the GPS casing and it was a bit hot but not too bad.

The reason the government did that was protection of privacy. It is ridiculous but I think they had to do something against a mass of people who started complaining to the police with their Dash Cam footage when they recorded someone running a red light or driving too fast.

P.P.S - This type of post really belongs in the DIY forum. I took the liberty of asking DCM to move it there.

Thanks for doing that.

This is an interesting idea. I would suggest replacing the battery with a super-capacitor for an installation like this. It would avoid all the usual problems with a hot battery, especially in this custom shell.
The GPS case looks like it could probably benefit from a heat sink and or some type of improved ventilation.

I will try to replace the battery with a small super-capacitor because I don't think I have the heat sink anymore.

The reason the government did that was protection of privacy. It is ridiculous but I think they had to do something against a mass of people who started complaining to the police with their Dash Cam footage when they recorded someone running a red light or driving too fast.

I understand why they would do this. The police might have too much work they can handle by looking at camera all day from people who are quick to report every little infraction. Hope this wont be a trend in other countries.

Wishing you success on your project.

I understand why they would do this. The police might have too much work they can handle by looking at camera all day from people who are quick to report every little infraction. Hope this wont be a trend in other countries.

Wishing you success on your project.

Yep, can understand. Seem that a lot of folk feel like wannabe cops when they stick a dashcam on their windshield. You see the results of this ad nauseam on this forum.

Is there a european shop which is selling the Mobius Super Capacitor?

well they're certainly still selling in Germany, amazon.de is full of them

Yes the retailers are allowed to sell them and you can buy them but it's illegal to record with a dash cam while driving.

Hot glue ? (you don't need a hot glue gun, a lighter will be enough).
Probably, the GPS doesn't work anymore, right ?

since when ? and what are the penalties ?

Ok I will try to solve the problem with hot glue. Yes the GPS was broken and I got it was a promotional gift.

As parklawn said it's like a 'grey area' but in worst case it's 300.000 Euros for uploading a dash cam video on the internet where license plates and faces are not blured out.

300.000 Euros for uploading
The stupidity of some ...the destruction of others :(. They don't know that almost everyone has a phone with a camera.

Is there a european shop which is selling the Mobius Super Capacitor?

I don't really know much about specific local German Mobius sellers. The super-capacitor is available from the German Amazon.com site however. Unfortunately, it seems very overpriced at € 15,95 even with the "free" shipping.

I've purchased a few Mobius super-capacitors from Banggood and from there you can buy one for € 5.46, also with free shipping.

I've had some problems ordering from Banggood recently as they sometimes sell items they don't actually have in stock and you get stuck waiting a very long time for delivery but I think you should be OK if you order something like a super-capacitor from them. They've been OK to buy from when I've just ordered Mobius "parts". Here is a link: (the link may be different if you access Banggood from Germany)

Another option might be to order a Mobius super-capacitor from JooVuu in the UK for £4.00.

Last edited:
Can I also use hot glue to fix the super capacitor inside the GPS housing? Or is it very sensitive?

Can I also use hot glue to fix the super capacitor inside the GPS housing? Or is it very sensitive?

Some capacitors can be sensitive to such heat, especially very small ones like those that are made for the Mobius. Hot glue may not get as hot as solder but the heat will not dissipate as quickly and the glue will be against the side of the cap rather than on the shielded/protected end with the connecting leads. My opinion is to be more cautious and use a piece of 3M VHB tape or some other type of double-sided tape instead of hot glue. Also, this way if ever needed the super-cap module is more easily removed if you ever want to use it in a different project.

Also, when installing the circuit board, it wouldn't be a bad idea, if at all possible, to mount it on small spacers to allow air to circulate around both sides of the board.

Last edited:
Some capacitors can be sensitive to such heat
I was thinking of a small droplet and not drowning the capacitors in hot glue but maybe it's better to avoid it (I deleted my post).
I also searched on google: https://www.google.fr/search?q=super+capacitors+datasheet because I wanted to see how they cope with the temperature. While the temperature range is better than for the batteries the upper temperatures aren't extremely high (on the other hand they will heat less compared with a battery so they will contribute less to the ambient temperature)
example 1:
Operating Temperature Range -40°C to 60°C
Extended Operating Temperature Range -40°C to 85°C (Max. working voltage: 2.0V)
Life (1000 hrs @ 60°C @ 2.5Vdc)
example 2:
Operating temperature range -40°C to +65°C
example 3:
Operating Temperature Range -40°C to 85°C
Life (2000 hrs @ 85°C @ 5.5Vdc)

Last edited:
I was thinking of a small droplet and not drowning the capacitors in hot glue but maybe it's better to avoid it (I deleted my post).
I also searched on google: https://www.google.fr/search?q=super+capacitors+datasheet because I wanted to see how they cope with the temperature. While the temperature range is better than for the batteries the upper temperatures aren't extremely high (on the other hand they will heat less compared with a battery so they will contribute less to the ambient temperature)
example 1:
Operating Temperature Range -40°C to 60°C
Extended Operating Temperature Range -40°C to 85°C (Max. working voltage: 2.0V)
Life (1000 hrs @ 60°C @ 2.5Vdc)
example 2:
Operating temperature range -40°C to +65°C
example 3:
Operating Temperature Range -40°C to 85°C
Life (2000 hrs @ 85°C @ 5.5Vdc)

@Tobby, I'm sorry to hear that you deleted your post about suggesting hot glue. There was no need to do that just because I offered an alternative opinion. :(

The fact is that I actually had a specific reason for being a little paranoid about heat while installing super-caps. About a year ago I posted about a mod I did installing super-caps in a GT680W and I have always wondered if the trouble I ran into with the caps failing may have had to do with overheating them with a soldering gun. When I finally replaced those caps with ones that are now working I avoided using a soldering iron anywhere near the body of the caps, unlike what you see in the photos from my mod where I soldered a bridge right on top of them. Of course, the failure of the caps may have been from a voltage imbalance or because they were defective, so I'll never know. Anyway, so my concern with overheating isn't their general operating temperature range but the application of sudden high heat to a single spot directly on the body of the cap. I don't know for sure if hot glue would harm super-caps or not but this was my reason for suggesting caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back