How to get rid of dashboard reflection

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I don't recall ever having this issue with my previous vehicle and dashcam, but as you can see, I'm getting a reflection of the dashboard in my image.

The dashcam is tucked up as tight as possible to the top of the window, just under the rear view mirror. As you can see, it really affects the shot.

Any tricks that I'm not aware of? Attached image below.

Screen shot 2015-06-21 at 2.54.16 PM.png

Actually those reflections don't look too bad but I know how annoying they are. I had the same problem, it was so annoying in fact that had to do something about it before setting off on a return trip. The solution was a dashboard cover and the difference it made was amazing. You can get one custom made for your vehicle, in the colour of your choice. I got mine here: http://www.carid.com/dash-covers.html

In the meantime, try this - place a black bathtowel or pillowcase (or something else) across your dashboard temporarily and drive around the block and see the difference that it makes.
Cheers.

Those reflections can indeed be unpleasant and annoying and some people go to great lengths in an effort to eliminate them. Just bear in mind that no matter how annoying such reflections may seem, even if you don't eliminate them, they are unlikely to ever prevent you from capturing the traffic situation you may find yourself in, which was the primary reason you bought a dash cam for in the first place. While a pleasing looking, reflection free image is nice to have it isn't the ultimate goal. Only if reflections regularly obstruct a clear view of the road to an extreme degree should it be absolutely necessary to do something about them.

I've experimented with polarizers quite a bit but finally gave up on them because there were too many circumstances where they would cause poor performance at night and I could never seem to remember to remove the damn things in the evening. I think if I were to do anything about reducing reflections it would be to purchase a dash mat.

Consider the Do-It-Yourself method...

Ryan, I use a polarizing filter. Most dashcams do not have autofocus (that is, most are fixed focus), so all I need is a linear polarizing filter. (Manual focus and fixed-focus cameras do not require CPL or circular polarizers. I don't know why some people get hooked on CPL's.)

I bought a 6x6 inch sheet of transparent (vinyl?) linear polarizing filter through Amazon for about US$10-15. I can cut-to-fit and very cheaply replace this material. This item is probably also available at science or educational supply stores.) I cut a piece down to fit the outer lens bezel or some part of the camera housing. (A 6x6 inch piece should last a long time.)

I use it on some dashcams and some security cams, but only if necessary. I used simple, inexpensive vinyl electrical tape to affix the filter to my A118c, for example. The tape that I have comes off easily and hasn't been messy. (Other tapes have been messy!) I make sure that the polarizing material does not come into contact with the lens element.

Another dashcam that I have has a round outer lens bezel, so I affixed the filter to a small, inexpensive rubber gasket. I don't see any impairment on my images, but do remember that although the material scratches easily, it's extremely inexpensive to cut off another fresh piece and replace it. I replace the tape every couple weeks.

NOTE: Before I cut my piece, I rotate the piece while viewing through it through my windshield to know how to orient the piece to obtain optimum glare reduction. I use that orientation or position when I affix it to my camera.

Attached is a photo of my A118c with a polarizing filter that I have outlined in red.

Attachments

• IMG_20150621_123905a50.jpg
    IMG_20150621_123905a50.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 90
I want to add that with a polarizing filter, a certain directions of travel, recordings will likely record very intense or darker blue skies--more so when travelling north (at least in the northern hemisphere). This is why many photographers like to use polarizers.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I also think +1 exposure is a bit too much on this dashcam as it looks washed out and over exposed.

It's a dod ls360w. For some reason, I think my old ls300w had a sharper, better picture?

I have two LS360w's. One is tack sharp, but the focus on the other was not calibrated correctly (if at all at the factory): it is tack sharp on close-ups (within 10 feet), but it's much less sharp at further distances. I would like to recalibrate the focus, if I knew how to do that.

(Paying a pretty penny doesn't ensure quality.)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I also think +1 exposure is a bit too much on this dashcam as it looks washed out and over exposed.

It's a dod ls360w. For some reason, I think my old ls300w had a sharper, better picture?

It does seem overexposed. It would probably help to turn down the EV setting incrementally until you're more happy with the image. Separately, I might also suggest that you tilt the camera down so that you have less sky and more hood in your FOV.

I just read recently that LS460W uses a low quality lens unfortunately so it will suffer from heat shift focus problems especially now that summer is in high gear.

you can clearly see the whole picture is compromised by a cloudy haze and I assume you noticed that and not just the air vent reflection and thing in the middle..

I recently had to remove an experimental firmware from my g1wh because that particular firmware seemed to heighten the problem and I went back to a "fine" tried and tested one...

looks like a Cpl or dash carpet but neither is a great solution ....

you can clearly see the whole picture is compromised by a cloudy haze

That's a good point.

Be sure you clean your window with a non-ammonia based window cleaner. The cheap windex stuff will leave a haze that will refract light. My cleaner of choice is Invisible Glass.

pBhVATc.png

My window is freshly cleaned. All of my images are like this.

I tolerate reflections with cams mounted high (behind the mirror) because as I like to have two front cams (because various things can cause a cam not to record) I mount the second one low down, on the top of the dashboard, below the level of any reflections.
Pic attached - screen shot from one cam (Nextbase 402G) mounted behind the mirror, showing the other cam (Cobra 840) in the bottom right corner of its field of view, mounted to the dashboard.

Attachments

• car cam one sees the other.png
    car cam one sees the other.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
I have run into some reflections, I used a really cheap black bed sheet I purchased a while back as a photography back drop and to test I just placed it over the dash where the worst reflections were, wow instantly better, clearer and darker picture I will be either cutting it to fit DIY style or buying a dashmat if I can get one for my vehicle, I don't want to use a CPL filter as while great in the full sun as others have said will probably cause problems at night!
SD.

Back