how to identify a fake Mini 0801

Just bought one of these through Amazon and it's obviously the fake.

Crap!
accessories-jpg.3142

The fake Ambarella A2S60 chipset Mini 0801 have been launched to market this week. which have NO firmware debug service, NO firmware upgrade service, and POOR warranty. It is unfair for users which may spent $100 but got a fake or relegated Mini 0801 camera.
(please be noticed the ORIGINAL firmwares can't be upgraded into the FAKE 0801, which will brick the device.)

More fake images uploaded to post #25 in page 2, update on Jan.04, 2013. (10 images limit in the post)
Both devices are Ambarella A2S60 chip inside.

Here are several images may guide you to identify the fake Mini 0801, please take care when you order your enamored camera.
View attachment 2618
View attachment 2619

And attached several photos of the original Mini 0801:
View attachment 2614
View attachment 2612
View attachment 2613
View attachment 2615
View attachment 2616
View attachment 2611
View attachment 2617

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon was nice enough to refund my full purchase price plus shipping.
They are nothing if not fair.

I've since ordered an OJOCAM Pro Mini 0801.

Thanks, Amazon!

front1-jpg.3144

Does anyone know if this fake mount will work with an original mini 0801?

Just received my Mini w/GPS I ordered on eBay two weeks ago. It's blackboxed and blue menu like on the photo msg #81. The only difference is lack of CD because I have ordered Mini with 8GB built-in memory and the software is on it. Looks and works great. Firmware version 20140515.

I need HD quality, the camera uses this kind of good?

hi to all... just received my (fake) mini0801 and didn't know about original & fake before I tried to find any firmwares and I reached this forum... Camera seems to work fine though... I am just wondering, if the fake one has also the same chipset why it cannot upgraded with the firmwares available? Has anyone searched in depth the fake ones? (red menu)? Thanks in advance

*PS although I see GPS data on the OSD I see no extra files in folders... this is a problem or these data are embedded to the mp4 files?

GPS data is embedded in the files in lots of cameras

There's more to the hardware than just a chipset, firmware is hardware specific

Thanks, so hasn't anyone opened a fake one to compare the "real" differences except the cosmetics(case) ones?

I got a fake too. Seller on ebay. Poor communication. I left neutral feedback. Should of left negative feedback. Camera image quality is actually very good but NOT Ambarella A7 chip. Maybe not even A2. Only takes 32gb tf card, 64gb says "invalid format". They've changed their listing title and removed "A7" but if you scroll down the listing still show A7. Bunch of liars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/271584801339 The camera video quality itself is actually very good and so far works with no issues but they are misrepresenting. If they sold it as a "good quality clone" it'd be nice. It looks like the "fake" one from the 0801 picture comparo on page 1. Firmware was 201312121905 I think. Vaguely similar firmware number but not listed anywhere on 0801 mini websites.

Last edited:
I have two Ojocam Pro's and one Ojocam Value (I have 3 cars, and you can guess one of them I don't care about as much as the other two ;)

They are both 0801's. The only difference I've noticed is the framerate of 1080p is pretty choppy on the Value because it's a NT96650 and is really designed for 720p. However, the Value, being a "knockoff" has been a very reliable camera. Ojocam provides support for all their models. All of the firmwares are dated between August and October 2014. I don't bother updating them or anything because all functions of the cameras work, nothing can be gained in my opinion.

There is one issue I'd point out with the Value, and that is it being a counterfeit, the "focus" was terrible out-of-the-box. I followed the 0805 focus tutorial in the Dashcamtalk review to fix it. It took about 1/4 turn clockwise to make license plates look sharp.

Right, you are correct. The dead giveaway is the file-sizes.

Hey guys where can I buy the ORIGINAL mini 0801?

Is there any particular reason for wanting the 0801 over one of the newer models?
I operate x2 0801's and x2 0805's. My experience is that the video quality of the 0801's is better than the 0805's. Not yet sure why, but on the same resolution 1920 1088 30p the data rate from the 0801 is 13459 kbps as apposed to 12500kbps for the 0805.

Back