How to present evidence of not being at fault?

smithdean

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let’s say you are hit by someone going on red at an intersection or someone makes illegal turn or something and cars are badly damaged and cops are called to the scene. Do you tell the police officer that you have dashcam and you can show proof? Or just let him write whatever reports or tickets he wants , get the car towed and only then send the recorded incident to insurance ? Do you tell the other driver that you have proof that he or she caused the accident ? If during the accident you call 911 and the dispatcher tells you that if the car is drivable , go drive to the nearest police station for police report and at that time you show the video to the offer writing the report? Thanks

I would not tell anyone, and i dont have to, i would simply hand over my footage to my insurance company as it is their job to make sure the right part get to pay up.
They can then duke it out, or go to court and call me in as a witness.
But if it was due to a break of traffic rules i would also submet footage to the police to make sure the person are fined for that, CUZ i am not sure the insurance companies would do that, though the other parts company might to call misuse and so at least get off having to pay for repair or physical damage to that guy too.
Additional not telling anyone at a scene, this will let the other part dig a even deeper hole for them self, by lying to police and commit document fraud with their insurance company when they submit false insurance claim and you might even record some threats to your person.
Not telling will also be a good idea with some people that might go to extremes when they find out they are on record.

In Denmark police are only involved in accidents if there are personal injury or if the crash block traffic and are not easy moveable for the implicated parties, in which case police might be needed to make sure traffic / the scene are safe.
But the police have no say, though in some cases they will call in a crash scene investigator, but those cases are most often not clear cut cases with a deadly end.

The laws in regard to insane driving here have just been upped substantially though i still find those laws a insult to dignity, but at least now you can not kill 3 people with insane speeding and driving and get away with a year or so in prison.
And the lease muscle cars ( BMW / AUDI ASO ) often used by drug dealers / gang members, well they can now be confiscated on sight, no matter if it is a lease car and who is registered as the owner / lease person.

Just too bad these laws are at least 10 years too late.

Last edited:
Unless I have some way of saving a copy of the files on the spot, I'd hedge my bets, and wait until I got home, checked the files, copied them.

If they noticed the cam in the car I'd say 'not sure it's working, will check when I get home'.

:)

Last edited:
Well often people dont see much anyway, there is a older video of someone getting his jeep carjacked in a park, and you can see the dashcam ( a fairly noticeable Garmin model ) must be pretty much in front of the driver.
But i dint think they ever noticed it, with a little sticker on your bumper is probably no problem.

As "dash" also say above, if someone notice your camera and you want to de-escalate the situation you can always say " O thats been there since i got the car, dunno if the damn thing work" that at least are only a small lie and one you can get out of when the camera appear to have captured usable footage.

Last edited:
I was hit by a driver that used the left turn lane to pass me. The police said it was my word against his. I chose to show my video clips to the officers. They happily wrote the other driver 3 tickets.

His insurance company decided to hold out based on their drivers report, plus informed me their driver hired an attorney. I had already copied the clip that captured everything to my Google drive. Though my insurance company viewed the footage from there, the drivers insurance company required I send the file by mail, on a flash drive.

After viewing the footage, the other drivers insurance company accepted full responsibility. That was several years ago. It appears their lawyer also understood the footage was more than sufficient to prove the other driver was 100% at fault.

Well often people dont see much anyway, there is a older video of someone getting his jeep carjacked in a park, and you can see the dashcam ( a fairly noticeable Garmin model ) must be pretty much in front of the driver.
But i dint think they ever noticed it, with a little sticker on your bumper is probably no problem.

As "dash" also say above, if someone notice your camera and you want to de-escalate the situation you can always say " O thats been there since i got the car, dunno if the damn thing work" that at least are only a small lie and one you can get out of when the camera appear to have captured usable footage.
The warning sticker i have on bumper may not to noticible but the other 2 on passenger side window are cos they are high up there.

Attachments

• E8D617B8-0BE2-4AE7-867E-4B6A6193E2C1.jpeg
    E8D617B8-0BE2-4AE7-867E-4B6A6193E2C1.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 39A874C3-1828-46B9-B15B-91EA78C49EAE.jpeg
    39A874C3-1828-46B9-B15B-91EA78C49EAE.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 8
  • A980D6B9-62CF-4EF0-A057-3DCA4E61E324.jpeg
    A980D6B9-62CF-4EF0-A057-3DCA4E61E324.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 8
The problem with warning sticker is that you're also inviting someone to break in knowing you have a dashcam they can steal.

I removed the two stickers on passenger side windows . I have one on rear bumper that I haven’t removed .

Back