How to prevent lens from discoloring?

DashcamFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
My C lens discolored when left out in direct sunlight, so I decided to just upgrade to C2 lens (there's nothing wrong with the C lens).

I'm taking precautions to avoid having the C2 lens discolor the same way as the C lens. Is there a way to prevent the lens from discoloring?

Erm... don't let it out in direct sunlight? Get an extra large sun shade and cover the windscreen on the outside? Get a piece of cloth and cover the Mobius?

You could put some car interior protectant on it, being careful not to get it on the lens.

Black paint not applied to the lens itself should help.

My C lens discolored when left out in direct sunlight, so I decided to just upgrade to C2 lens (there's nothing wrong with the C lens).

I'm taking precautions to avoid having the C2 lens discolor the same way as the C lens. Is there a way to prevent the lens from discoloring?

I assume when you say that your Mobius C lens is discolored that it has turned from black to bronze. If so, this topic has come up previously (about a year ago) and you shouldn't have to worry about it happening with the C2 lens. The original problem was apparently caused by a bad batch of improperly anodized lens bezels and that is not likely to occur again.

See this thread,: "Möbius C-Lens changing colors" for more information.

BTW, As mentioned in the thread I linked to, you should be able to simply unscrew the lens bezel from your C lens, spray paint it black and screw it back on.

Last edited:
I had a warranty replacement C2 lens and case, for a discoloured C lens. Well, this one is going bronze, too.

Most glass absorbs a lot of UV, so when used as dashcams behind the windscreen, action cameras are pretty well protected.
If you need to leave a cam in direct sunlight, maybe find a way to protect it with a UV filter.

I'm still surprised a lens can be affected this way. Are you sure you haven't cleaned it aggressively and taken off some lens coating?

It's the metal cylinder that surrounds the lens that is discolouring. Not the lens itself.

this has happened to mine too. still works, just isn't black anymore. you could easily paint it I suppose.

Back