HP Stream 7" tablet for £49.99 in UK

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-...r-for-49-99-with-code-microsoft-store-2170703

I saw this and ordered one - it's a Windows 8.1 tablet - pretty low spec but for the price you can't argue at all. Comes with a years worth of Office 365 as well which you can sell on eBay for probably half of the price of this tablet!

It has a microSD slot so perfect for reviewing dashcam footage (although only a 1280x800 screen although that's the same as my laptop) and also you can use OTG cables to connect USB devices so I'll be trying out my VW diagnostics software on there :)

Hopefully it will turn up and not be cancelled but we shall see.

interesting description :D

Signature Edition
Exclusive to Microsoft Store, the Stream 7 Signature Edition tablet is fine-tuned for fast performance from the second you turn it on. It comes protected with premium, free anti-virus software that never expires. And best of all, it comes without any annoying junkware or trialware, giving you peace of mind that your tablet is clean, fast, and protected.

It's getting wiped as soon as it arrives anyway and I'll whack Windows 10 beta on :)

What doesn't have, and it will be nice: HDMI and USB data transfer.

You can use an OTG cable on the micro USB port for USB devices :)

Yes, but you can't read/write the free space to transfer data using USB connection.

It has a microSD slot so perfect for reviewing dashcam footage...

I also saw this deal yesterday. I thought it would be useful with RegistratorViewer & the mSetup GUI for Mobius on it. But I decided against it ... it's cheap but I don't really need it.

Hope it works well for you.

It turned up today - great little bit of kit for the cash!

I'm leaving it charging and then going to go and try VW diagnostics software on it later and RV :)

Registrator Viewer works beautifully - just a shame you have to drop the plastic back off the tablet to get to the microSD card but that can be fixed by using a tiny microSD reader in an OTG cable.

Registrator Viewer works beautifully - just a shame you have to drop the plastic back off the tablet to get to the microSD card but that can be fixed by using a tiny microSD reader in an OTG cable.

I'm following these posts with interest because mine is arriving today. Can you show me what you will be using?

Yeah sure - to be honest I tried an OTG cable that came with one of my Chinese phones and bizarrely it works fine with my huge Polycom VOIP phone but doesn't work with a tiny USB 3.0 microSD reader - I've just got it installing all the updates now to see if that helps as there are some new drivers in there.

This is the one from Amazon I'm eyeing up at the moment in case it doesn't work with the cable I have already:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00Q4698XE

I saw these at the microsoft store a few weeks ago the same week I got my winbook, they were $80 at the microsoft store. $10 more then what I paid for my winbook, and they looked a bit more "high quality" and were slimmer. also looked a little more fragile though.

main thing I don't like about my winbook is it seems to lose battery quickly in standby. or I just don't use it enough. either way it can charge in your car though. but having full size usb and micro sd on the side is sweet.

one thing that bugs me though is the mobius app doesnt work unless the actual camera is plugged in, I can't just put the micro sd card in.

Isn't that because mSetup talks directly to the camera?

I thought it could be using the config file but Isoprop confirmed it does talk directly to the camera itself via USB which is why you have to plug it in.

The battery on these going down in standby is because they're actually still sat there running - they don't seem to go to sleep like I expected they just turn the screen off.

It will take me a while to get used to the quirks - I'm already finding things that do my head in like the keyboard not auto appearing on webpages like it does on iOS and Android, but again it's because it's full fat Windows.

I'll get 10 or Linux on there for a tinker soon :)

this thread just reminded me that I never tested registrator viewer on the winbook like i said i would. new job has been taking a lot of my time.

This is the one from Amazon I'm eyeing up at the moment in case it doesn't work with the cable I have already:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00Q4698XE

I got this cable the day after the Stream 7 arrived and it works perfectly. This is certainly one way more way that you can show the police your video at the scene of an accident, as a member was asking in another post.

Hi mate, yeah I love it - already got the latest Windows 10 build on there with Project Spartan - much better than Windows 8.1 for sure! Shame it didn't have 2GB of RAM but that would push the price up too much.

Hi mate, yeah I love it - already got the latest Windows 10 build on there with Project Spartan - much better than Windows 8.1 for sure! Shame it didn't have 2GB of RAM but that would push the price up too much.
Thanks for the information. They have one on Amazon that I will now order :)

Back