I just got Mini 2, what SD car is everyone using in theirs?

ToyotaSupra

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Dash Cam
A119mini2
This is what is recommended by Viofo, but it doesn't specify for which camera exactly. I feel like a mini 2 can use a cheaper card than what is needed in a 139 pro at 4k since there is less data write.
Im reading that on High bitrate the camera is at 30Mbps which is 3.75MB/S. For instance the card SanDisk High Endurance that Viofo doesn't recommend can write at 40MB/s. Thats x10 times more yet not compatible?

Attachments

• MYr_mcHQRbNkRlBIjLNsYexif3vcXqVuzQ.jpeg
    MYr_mcHQRbNkRlBIjLNsYexif3vcXqVuzQ.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
This is what is recommended by Viofo, but it doesn't specify for which camera exactly. I feel like a mini 2 can use a cheaper card than what is needed in a 139 pro at 4k since there is less data write.
Im reading that on High bitrate the camera is at 30Mbps which is 3.75MB/S. For instance the card SanDisk High Endurance that Viofo doesn't recommend can write at 40MB/s. Thats x10 times more yet not compatible?
Nobody forces you to use only recommended memory cards. You can use whichever brand you like.
If it works, then good. No - buy a memory card from another manufacturer.
So by trying memory cards from different manufacturers, you will find the best option for you.

Viofo has just recently posted the reason why some cards are not recommended.

About the cards, some are not recommended in our list because our engineer has tested them and they are not stable used in our cameras. Of course, we have not tested all of the Samsung cards, so just the cards in the list are not recommended.

I personally have been using 2x 256 GB Samsung EVO Plus and Samsung EVO Select for about 3 years and never had any issues that I can recall, yet they're both not recommended.
If you want to go the safe route, you can buy one of the recommended cards that have been tested by Viofo or you can just try out any other and find out yourself.

Viofo has just recently posted the reason why some cards are not recommended.

I personally have been using 2x 256 GB Samsung EVO Plus and Samsung EVO Select for about 3 years and never had any issues that I can recall, yet they're both not recommended.
If you want to go the safe route, you can buy one of the recommended cards that have been tested by Viofo or you can just try out any other and find out yourself.
Samsung EVO Plus which was produced 3 years ago and Samsung EVO Plus which is being produced now is heaven and earth.
You don't need to compare them.

It seems to be pretty "random". You can find quite a few users having massive issues with their SanDisk High Endurance.
But the Max Endurance is probably the card with the lowest issues rate.
I would think that they are basically the same cards but the Max Endurance is writing fewer bits per cell, which prolongs the lifetime massively.
The High Endurance can only withstand higher temperatures etc. It's tougher, but doesn't use fewer bits per cell.

So a 32 GB Max Endurance could be a 128 GB High Endurance.
But one seems to cause a lot of issues and the other none whatsoever.
So apparently they use different controllers.

Conclusion:
There's a big difference between all the "endurance"/"industrial" cards. When it has more max. write cycles, you see the price being a lot higher.

And there's also a big difference between seemingly identical cards.

Anyway, buy one of the specifically recommended ones! Not worth the trouble to use others.

I ordered the recommended SanDisk Extreme in 128

The Extremes are built for speed, not longevity like the *Endurance series, so be careful with that. I wore one out in a year and a half in my A119v3!!

The Extremes are built for speed, not longevity like the *Endurance series, so be careful with that. I wore one out in a year and a half in my A119v3!!
Yep. Although the "High Endurance" seems to be just a normal extreme but with the parts withstanding wetness and extreme temperatures better.
The "Max Endurance" is using less bits per storage cell, which dramatically reduces capacity when having the same amount of storage cells, but massively increases longevity.
Plus it makes the storing more reliable, since the difference in voltages between bits are bigger.

This is why viofo doesn't recommend the high endurance but the max endurance seems to be the best card for the viofo cams.

Also, I think the High and Max are both warrantied for dashcam use, while the other series including Extreme are not, so you could still use the High and get a new one when it wears out if you can be bothered to deal with the hassle :LOL: I don't think the Max costs that much more than the High so probably not worth it if you value your time over bargain hunting!

I have used SD ultra (128 &256) in many cams with no problems.

Also, I think the High and Max are both warrantied for dashcam use, while the other series including Extreme are not, so you could still use the High and get a new one when it wears out if you can be bothered to deal with the hassle :LOL: I don't think the Max costs that much more than the High so probably not worth it if you value your time over bargain hunting!
The High Endurance isn't recommended by viofo. It's the one card that sticks out to cause issues here on the forums!
The extreme actually is recommended. It just wears out quicker.
Have a look at the pictures a bit down on this website:

About pricing:
Here in Germany the high endurance costs just a little bit more than the extreme, while the max endurance costs a lot more!
17€ = 128 GB extreme
14€ = 64 GB high endurance
12€ = 32 GB max endurance

That's a bit weird - They quote the Sandisk Extreme Endurance as being recommended but there is no such card! There is just High Endurance and Max Endurance; There is a (non Endurance-branded) Extreme, but it's just a normal TLC/QLC card :unsure:

I only mentioned the High as it is the only product line that is warrantied for dashcam use (As is the Max) - Using the Extreme, Ultra or any other ones in a dashcam voids the warranty on them.

But as you say the High doesn't seem to be a great card for dashcam use from reports on here - I suspect it's just a normal TLC/QLC card that has a higher level of overprovisioning, while the Max use an actual SLC/MLC chip.

I have a Max in my A119v3 and haven't had to replace it yet - It's outlived 3 128GB 'normal' Sandisk cards so far! :happy:

Viofo collects information about the operation of memory cards in all models and then gives a recommendation for a specific brand of memory card. This means that the recommended memory card will work on all Viofo models. And this does not mean at all that a memory card not recommended by Viofo that does not work on a three-channel model will not work on a single-channel model.

Anyone running SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB?
Just upgraded Mini 2 and having issues with this card, Mini 2 keeps beeping

Attachments

• 71jjW9GLOTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71jjW9GLOTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1
I got VIOFO cards to give me peace of mind

I've used the Samsung Pro Endurance 64 GB in my previous dashcam, the A119 V3, without any problems for more than two years.
I my current Mini 2, I use the SanDisk Max Endurance 128 GB because of above recommendation by Viofo Support.

The specifications for engine oils are clearly defined :) . SD cards are more complex because they use different manufacturing technologies, allow different write speeds, have different temperature and overwrite resistance (hence the recommendation to format the card frequently).

The use of this medium for storing data in an on-board camera is diametrically opposed to conventional use (phone, camera, etc., ... ) , which is much less demanding. There is also a limitation on the size of the card, where larger capacity can be problematic.

I had a problem at one time with an SD card used as temporary storage in an advanced router running applications generating lots of writes. There I ended up opting for an SD card for industrial use.

So the necessary characteristics of the card are write speed, heat resistance and (resistance to permanent overwrites - lifetime). The price of the card will often show the direction to consider or the specifications for industrial deployment

Back