I need an additional camera in the car

silkweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Blackvue 750X front & rear, I'm sort of pleased with them apart from their clunky connectivity. I need a third 'side' camera to capture anything going on alongside the passenger side. I've had some near side damage/vandalism on my car so I need to capture what's happening. The front and rear cameras did not capture and movement so I'm pretty desperate for a solution. Can I add anything to my existing 750x system, or can anyone recommend another brand of camera. I just need something when I'm parked, not moving.
Can someone recommend a small, cheapish, WiFi or mobile network camera that I can get in the UK please?

Thanks

I have a Blackvue 750X front & rear, I'm sort of pleased with them apart from their clunky connectivity. I need a third 'side' camera to capture anything going on alongside the passenger side. I've had some near side damage/vandalism on my car so I need to capture what's happening. The front and rear cameras did not capture and movement so I'm pretty desperate for a solution. Can I add anything to my existing 750x system, or can anyone recommend another brand of camera. I just need something when I'm parked, not moving.
Can someone recommend a small, cheapish, WiFi or mobile network camera that I can get in the UK please?

Thanks
There's 2 viofo models that might be suitable A119V3 (no wifi) and the WM1 https://viofo.com/dash-cam/303-viof...-dashcam-with-sony-starvis-imx335-sensor.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks for your help!
I have a great WiFi connection although access to it is limited outside. I already have two small Blink cameras connected to it, one is slightly out if range so makes me worry a bit.
Would the Viofo WiFi model just write to the onboard card then connect to my WiFi when I'm home? Factcis I need it at home, not on the road as its home where I need the extra camera.
I looked at Spypoint cameras outside. Is there a small LTE enabled camera like the Viofo camera you recommend?

Thanks for your help!
I have a great WiFi connection although access to it is limited outside. I already have two small Blink cameras connected to it, one is slightly out if range so makes me worry a bit.
Would the Viofo WiFi model just write to the onboard card then connect to my WiFi when I'm home? Factcis I need it at home, not on the road as its home where I need the extra camera.
I looked at Spypoint cameras outside. Is there a small LTE enabled camera like the Viofo camera
you recommend?
I don't know if the wifi can be on all the time. @VIOFO-Support may be able to advise.

If it's always in the same location then a cctv camera might work better.

Something like this
AU $112.18 52% Off | Hiseeu 3MP Cloud AI WiFi Video Security Surveillance Camera Rechargeable Battery with Solar Panel Outdoor Pan and Tilt Wireless

Cheers.

I don't know if the wifi can be on all the time. @VIOFO-Support may be able to advise.

If it's always in the same location then a cctv camera might work better.

Something like this
AU $112.18 52% Off | Hiseeu 3MP Cloud AI WiFi Video Security Surveillance Camera Rechargeable Battery with Solar Panel Outdoor Pan and Tilt Wireless

Cheers.
The wifi our cameras can support is not the real wifi as LTE. It is just a method to connect the camera to your phone. And there is a limitation in distance. So if your camera is installed in your car, it is impossible to connect to the wifi at home. Unless the distance between your car and home is under 10M.

The wifi our cameras can support is not the real wifi as LTE. It is just a method to connect the camera to your phone. And there is a limitation in distance. So if your camera is installed in your car, it is impossible to connect to the wifi at home. Unless the distance between your car and home is under 10M.
@silkweed here is a response from viofo about their wifi.
Cheers

Can we simple connect your dash cameras to our phones wifi hotspot? I don't understand what is the purpose of wifi if connecting dash cam to phone is so difficult. Why not bluetooth technology instead? even if and when you can connect your dash camera to phone it has limited connection and downloading it to the phone is near impossible. The advertising of a feature that is near impossible will net you the worst reviews. So why bother?

I don't understand what is the purpose of wifi if connecting dash cam to phone is so difficult.
Normally we connect the phone to the dashcam hotspot, and that is easy for most people, and plenty fast enough.

Why not bluetooth technology instead?
Not fast enough for video.

Can we simple connect your dash cameras to our phones wifi hotspot?
Good question.

I think some people would worry about security issues, but that is probably not a valid worry.

The main reason it is not normally done, I think, is that it is going to be a little more difficult to set up than connecting the phone to the dashcam hotspot. Typing a password into the dashcam is a bit of a struggle, so if you read the instructions for station mode use:
then you see that to connect your dashcam to your phone hotspot, you first connect your phone to the dashcam hotspot so that you can type in the password!

So, unless you have a good reason for the camera to need internet or other network access, it is not really worth bothering.

Cameras filming down the side of a car like on teslas are extremely rare in consumer dashcams, so all you can do is put a camera on a side window ( fixed glass ) and have it film out the side at a 90 degree angle.

That will give you a video bubble, though not right up against the car.

Back