i1000 dash cam (using a battery)

tommm

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi
I am thinking of buying the i1000 dash cam (http://www.lightinthebox.com/i1000-...black-box-with-rear-view-camera_p1679791.html) and realize that these things only come with a small battery and will only last a few minutes from when the ignition is switched off. I really wanted to have it stay on (and start recording when motion is detected) to catch out someone tampering with my car when I'm not there.

I was thinking of having a small motorbike battery rigged under my bonnet which I would have to recharge myself.

For the above camera, would this be possible? Has anyone ever done this before. I'm not sure if I can place in a higher capacity battery in this model and charge this every time the car drives or whether I need an external battery.

Would someone be able to provide some suggestions on this?

Thanks

The chinese version is for sure. Is that the one you are referring to? $20-30?
I'm not looking for super expensive. Maybe you can recommend one? Thanks

there's a Taiwanese version of this camera which is ok (but not great), this still isn't it though, it's still a Chinese version like the rest of them, very high failure rate on these, it's not a good product at all

you won't find any decent 2 channel product at budget prices, for single channel a Mobius is about as cheap as you'll find for a reliable basic product

that was my 2nd dash cam purchase. in my experience, it was quite reliable. presently, I wouldn't even consider purchasing it. night time video is unusable because it's so dark. the rear camera is very low resolution (480p or lesser). there are just so many other choices out there that aren't very expensive and will give you a much better picture and useable night footage.

Ok, thanks but can you suggest any. I've seen the mobius model. Can you suggest others.
And back to the original question, is there a way of rigging these with a longer lasting battery?

Ok, thanks but can you suggest any. I've seen the mobius model. Can you suggest others.
And back to the original question, is there a way of rigging these with a longer lasting battery?

this model has a problem in that it doesn't charge correctly already, a larger battery will actually make that problem worse than it already is

if you want something reliable, look at Lukas, street guardian and panorama. and since you're in Australia, go with a camera that has super capacitors instead of a battery. if I were in your place, I'd get a SGZC12SS or equivalent.

I use a PANOBDP (battery discharge prevention device) to power my cameras 24/7 while parked.

this model has a problem in that it doesn't charge correctly already, a larger battery will actually make that problem worse than it already is

Hmm. thanks for the reply but can I ask how it would make the problem worse? If I use a PANOBDP (and I've only just learned what that is) would this work?

if you want something reliable, look at Lukas, street guardian and panorama. and since you're in Australia, go with a camera that has super capacitors instead of a battery. if I were in your place, I'd get a SGZC12SS or equivalent.

I use a PANOBDP (battery discharge prevention device) to power my cameras 24/7 while parked.

Thanks for the tip on using a PANOBDP. I've never heard of this before but it's exactly what I need.
As for the camera's, the SGZC12SS is way too expensive for me to leave in the car. I need something small with reasonable night vision. Average quality. Haven't looked at the Lukas or Street Guardian or panarama yet.

Hmm. thanks for the reply but can I ask how it would make the problem worse? If I use a PANOBDP (and I've only just learned what that is) would this work?

the PANOBDP only controls when it gets power, the problem with this model relates to the charge circuit for the internal battery, a larger battery would only make that worse

I need something small with reasonable night vision. Average quality.

Mobius C with optional capacitor kit (takes 5 minutes to install) is possibly the best blend of size, performance, reliability & affordability available to you.

image.jpg

that was my 2nd dash cam purchase. in my experience, it was quite reliable. presently, I wouldn't even consider purchasing it. night time video is unusable because it's so dark. the rear camera is very low resolution (480p or lesser). there are just so many other choices out there that aren't very expensive and will give you a much better picture and useable night footage.

Can I ask what's wrong with the i1000. It's got some reasonable reviews. Is it just the battery issues that's the problem with this cam? As for the night vision I've read that it's quiet good on this camera but the above comment suggests the opposite?

even the lowest quality cameras have good reviews, some are fake, some are just people that have low expectations, it's a very high failure rate product, what you get is consistent with what you pay I guess, it's more reliable if used without the rear camera

Can I ask what's wrong with the i1000. It's got some reasonable reviews. Is it just the battery issues that's the problem with this cam? As for the night vision I've read that it's quiet good on this camera but the above comment suggests the opposite?

if you read that the night footage is good, that's a lie.

perhaps you can start with letting us know your budget and the features that are important to you. the community here can guide you the rest of the way through.

The reviews are probably fake. Sure, acknowledged.. :)
I don't want to spend more than $100 for the simple reason that it will probably get stolen when junkies raid my car. That is AUD $100 but if there is one for a little more than that like the Mobius then I might consider it if it's compact.

I'm hoping to get a rear vision camera as well. Also something which I can rig to stay on when the ignition is turned off.

It doesn't have to be the best, just acceptable. I know I'm a little unrealistic with price but there are some good deals out there from time to time and I can wait for those. If it can read a number plate or identify someone then it's probably good enough. The Mobius does look great but I'm hoping to consider all my options.
Thanks for the help thus far.

the Mobius is about as cheap as you'll find for something that actually works, you can get one around the AUD$100 mark delivered if you buy off the manufacturer direct from their eBay store, gets delivered in around a week

Back