Idiot "Pedestrian" causes a second set of collisions

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
This guy seems to thing he can just cross in front of cars on an expressway type of highway to get to other car involved in accident and cars will stop.

I wonder if he is the cause of the first accident.

The media here is calling individuals who are out of the vehicles after an accident "pedestrians". A few cases recently of people getting out of their car in a disabled vehicle or single vehicle accident and getting hit.

Wow! What an idiot! In the UK the police would probably give that guy a harsh telling off!

Wow! What an idiot! In the UK the police would probably give that guy a harsh telling off!
They would probably prosecute him, they make examples of people like that and try to get it in the newspapers to discourage others.

There was a collision on 427 northbound collectors just south of Burnhamthorpe, this IDIOT pedestrian crossed the highway, I stop to avoid running him down, and BAM, I get slammed into by a Porsche SUV, likely causing it to be written off!

Turns out the pedestrian was from the original collision, and crossed the highway to talk with the other driver.

They would probably prosecute him, they make examples of people like that and try to get it in the newspapers to discourage others.
According to a CTV article, quoting a senior Provincial Police officer, it MAY happen.

Upon watching the video, Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Kerry Schmidt told CTV News Toronto that the pedestrian not only put lives in danger, but he also broke the law.
“If you’re in a crash and you crash your car, and you’re on the left side of the highway and you want to get to the other side, you don’t become a pedestrian and walk across. He is lucky he’s alive.”
Schmidt said that charges could potentially be laid.
Link -----> https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/driver-i...pedestrian-walks-across-highway-427-1.4765439

Here in SC USA pedestrian deaths were growing, and the wording of the old laws meant that it was always the car driver's fault, even when avoidance was impossible :( Now if the pedestrian is not there legally in the locations and times specified by law, it becomes their fault if they get run down and the driver doesn't get charged :)

Pedestrians are never allowed on interstate highways here (our 'interstates' being similar to motorways or autobahns). And in my state that extends to more minor highwayss where walking off-pavement is possible or while crossing them away from intersections. We still get a lot of folks being run down but at least now the fault is being correctly placed, and now they can be held legally liable for any damages which they may cause :D

Phil

Here in SC USA pedestrian deaths were growing, and the wording of the old laws meant that it was always the car driver's fault, even when avoidance was impossible :( Now if the pedestrian is not there legally in the locations and times specified by law, it becomes their fault if they get run down and the driver doesn't get charged...
Here in Michigan years back a 'pedestrian right of way' law was passed clearly saying that pedestrians have a right of way over motor vehicles - if they are legally in the roadway, meaning crosswalk, controlled intersection, etc., otherwise (as in jay walking) they must yield to motor vehicles.

Unfortunately, most of the 'walking idiots' only know of the law by it's title and have no idea of the content. Result being some of these same idiots are worse than they were before because they believe they have an absolute right of way no matter what. This was the reason for me getting my first dash cam, well that and some teenage girl coming out of a store with her face in the phone and nearly walking into the side of my car because she was oblivious to her environment.

Isn’t that behaviour known as jaywalking?

I’d actually expect him to be sued in the US. Taken to the cleaners by anyone who suffered as a result of his lackadaisical stroll across that busy expressway, causing an accident and putting peoples lives at risk.

I foresee him standing in a side street, wearing an old wooden barrel hanging off his shoulders with tattered leather straps, having had the very pants sued right off of him [emoji2955]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Here in SC USA pedestrian deaths were growing, and the wording of the old laws meant that it was always the car driver's fault, even when avoidance was impossible :( Now if the pedestrian is not there legally in the locations and times specified by law, it becomes their fault if they get run down and the driver doesn't get charged :)

Pedestrians are never allowed on interstate highways here (our 'interstates' being similar to motorways or autobahns). And in my state that extends to more minor highwayss where walking off-pavement is possible or while crossing them away from intersections. We still get a lot of folks being run down but at least now the fault is being correctly placed, and now they can be held legally liable for any damages which they may cause :D

Phil

I guess the UK has some way to go to catch up with you across the pond. Over here, you still see morons striding across the road in very dangerous and highly illegal places for no good reason. Many get run over. Few cars involved, hang about once that happens. The few that do get prosecuted - often unfairly in my opinion.
Our Highway Code need serious overhauling to catch-up with the 21st century [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Isn’t that behaviour known as jaywalking?
Not in the UK, the only place we are not allowed to walk is on the motorways, and that doesn't have a name because nobody ever does it!
The rest of our public highways and byways are for everyone to use, except where there are indicated restrictions such as footpaths being only for people on foot. Nobody has preference over anyone else, but you are supposed to comply with the rules of the Highway Code, which should keep everyone happy.

I guess you live in London from your other comments, the rest of the UK really isn't like that!

Not in the UK, the only place we are not allowed to walk is on the motorways, and that doesn't have a name because nobody ever does it!
The rest of our public highways and byways are for everyone to use, except where there are indicated restrictions such as footpaths being only for people on foot. Nobody has preference over anyone else, but you are supposed to comply with the rules of the Highway Code, which should keep everyone happy.

I guess you live in London from your other comments, the rest of the UK really isn't like that!
Yup! Nailed it, that's London alright. You're right, I've travelled to other places in the UK and everyone behaves!
My comments pertain to London [emoji106]

Sent from my NUU_M3 using Tapatalk

I would've had to use all of my super powers to stop myself from beating the sh&* out of the idiot in the blue jacket.

Regarding the same incident. Tow truck operator wasn't wearing Hi visibility vest or had his amber lights on .

Back