Idiot uk driver captured using 412gw dashcam

No I haven't back pedalled.
Women have more accidents per mile.
But they drive many fewer miles.
The overall effect is that they have fewer accidents on average than men (absolute numbers.) There is no contradiction.

Fictional, and extreme, example to illustrate the point:

Men drive on average 100,000 miles a year and average 10 accidents (1 per 10,000 miles.)

Women drive on average 10,000 miles a year and average 2 accidents. (1 per 5,000 miles.)

If an insurance company was giving a quote to a woman driving 10K miles a year, it might be reasonable to charge her 1/5 as much as an average man. (Based on actual probability of a crash.)

They would NOT say "she drives 1/10 as much as an average man, so we'll give her a 90% discount. But she's also a woman, women have 1/5 as many accidents, so we'll reduce the premium by a FURTHER 80%" (Which would result in a premium of only 2% of what a man would pay!)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

OK. You win.
But perhaps, as your closing statement, you can explain that before the ban on giving women lower premiums than men, just why on earth did insurance companies do it? They used to base things on risk only, and obviously they considered women to be a lower risk than men.
That's it from me on this subject.

OK. You win.
But perhaps, as your closing statement, you can explain that before the ban on giving women lower premiums than men, just why on earth did insurance companies do it? They used to base things on risk only, and obviously they considered women to be a lower risk than men.
That's it from me on this subject.
Firstly, what ban? They even still have at least one insurance company aimed at women only: Diamond.

As stated many times, on average, women drive fewer miles, so they have less accidents, so they can be charged lower premiums. Because they drive less, not directly because of their gender.

The marketing men sold this as giving preferential rates for women. But with all the potential for sex discrimination lawsuits they chose to word things more carefully.

Check Diamond's website. They say for example "female drivers aged between 17 and 24 make 14% less claims compared to males." So they justify lower quotes for THAT direct reason, NOT indirectly based on them being women. It's perfectly reasonable, and easy to explain when you explore the facts deeper.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nice to see some figures:
Check Diamond's website. They say for example "female drivers aged between 17 and 24 make 14% less claims compared to males."
Our chosen charity this year is BRAKE they have some interesting data on this topic: http://www.brake.org.uk/facts-resources/1593-driver-gender
"Men drive twice as many miles per year, on average, than women;"
Females make 14% less claims but drive 50% less miles.

100 - 14 = 86
100 - 50 = 50
86 - 50 = 36 = 72% more insurance claims per mile then men...

And that is when driving safer miles at lower speeds!

Looking at the death statistics alone always gives a poor understanding of the situation.

Back