Image quality questions and answers

Trickfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed a few people mention out of focus cameras, and figured making a specific comparison thread might be beneficial. Here are clips from my camera. I'm thinking I have an out of focus issue on the front driver side. I have no idea about the rear camera, as the quality seems so bad that idk if it's just supposed to be that way, or it's the uncommon mounting/view that my rear camera is subjected to.

Front:

Rear:

You really need to test the camera outside the car for a focus test. your glass, especially at the back is at a very low angle which will not be helping, and you have some sort of plastic film over the front glass which is causing those rainbow stress patterns and may be affecting the image given the low angle.

Front certainly doesn't look good, but run it off a battery bank outside the car before concluding anything...

I've noticed a few people mention out of focus cameras, and figured making a specific comparison thread might be beneficial. Here are clips from my camera. I'm thinking I have an out of focus issue on the front driver side. I have no idea about the rear camera, as the quality seems so bad that idk if it's just supposed to be that way, or it's the uncommon mounting/view that my rear camera is subjected to.

Have the cameras been running for a period of time inside a very hot car? Excessive heat can cause out of focus issues that look like what we see in your videos.

The odd rainbow pattern you see in your front footage is a phenomenon called birefringence which is caused by using a CPL in combination with having window tint film on your windshield. You can learn more about it and see other very similar looking examples in THIS thread on the subject, along with a method for dealing with the problem.

Last edited:
Back