Image Quality & Recording Issues

I am using a 63W USB charging block so no worries on that front.
I have tried with the supplied USB cable (not the long one) as well as other Mini USB cables. The cable I am using on my desk here is not the same cable being used in the car.
And if I plug my old A129 into the same setup with the same cables, cards etc etc, it functions just fine
I hate to admit defeat but I feel like I have hit the end of the road on this one
Thanks
The short Viofo cable (data cable) is of much thinner gauge wire than the long Viofo USB power cable. I know I cannot run the A129 pro with the short USB cable, no matter what power source I use, no sure about the Plus model. I would try the long USB Viofo cable.
While powering in the car with the supplied Viofo 12V car charger and Viofo long USB power cable, was it still only recording short videos?

The short Viofo cable (data cable) is of much thinner gauge wire than the long Viofo USB power cable. I know I cannot run the A129 pro with the short USB cable, no matter what power source I use, no sure about the Plus model. I would try the long USB Viofo cable.
While powering in the car with the supplied Viofo 12V car charger and Viofo long USB power cable, was it still only recording short videos?
I have never used the Viofo 12v adapter. I have a 3A USB feed in the car that is hard wired.

But I have tried various cables that I know are good. Both in the car AND on the desk. I am happy the power source is fine but I see the same short video recording in both situations. If I set the screen saver longer, I can see the camera never looses power. It is just the actual recording itself that stops after a short interval and then maybe 40. seconds later, starts again. The device itself doesn't restart.

I am happy to have discounted the SD CARDS, power supply and cables at this stage.

I have never used the Viofo 12v adapter.
Well, reset the camera to default settings and use the Viofo 12v adaptor before giving up on it.

stops after a short interval and then maybe 40. seconds later, starts again.
40 seconds is about what you get for a buffered recording, is it possible it is in parking mode because of your non-standard power supply?

Also, have you tried re-flashing the firmware as the last resort? It is possible there is a newer version than the one the camera came with.

Below is a link to some footage from the dashcam taken yesterday. I have also included some previous footage taken with the A129 for reference. For the A129 Plus footage, the camera is running 1440p at 60fps
That looks OK, nice sharp image, slightly lacking in bitrate but that is why 30fps is recommended.

The image is blocky with quite a few compression artefacts and really a downgrade from before. If anything they look over processed
That looks OK, nice sharp image, slightly lacking in bitrate but that is why 30fps is recommended.
Also I see a good image but lacking of more bitrate. 60FPS is not helping at all maybe it is just wasting the bitrate.

A129 Plus .mp4_snapshot_00.04_[2020.12.16_01.14.39].jpgA129 Plus .mp4_snapshot_00.28_[2020.12.16_01.18.24].jpgA129 Plus .mp4_snapshot_00.26_[2020.12.16_01.17.10].jpg

60FPS is good only for sales. Marketing purposes.

enjoy,
Mtz

Also I see a good image but lacking of more bitrate. 60FPS is not helping at all maybe it is just wasting the bitrate.

View attachment 54635View attachment 54636View attachment 54637

60FPS is good only for sales. Marketing purposes.

enjoy,
Mtz
Thanks
As I said earlier, I think we can put the image quality down to a CODEC issue on my Mac. Your screen grabs look much better that what I was seeing at my end and it's the same file. Indeed as I previously mentioned, if I edit the file on my iPad Pro, the output is good too.
But!
Disappointingly, since starting this thread, the stop start recording issues have started to the point where on a journey yesterday, there was a 15 mile gap in the journey recordings so I have packaged the device back up to return and request a replacement
Thanks for everybody's input. I will feed back once I have a new unit in my hand

OK, I understand but on a forum a complaint without proof remain a complaint. Was one page of discussions without a snapshot. Other people will read your thread and some of them will not reach page 2 where are my snapshots, showing nothing is wrong with the A129 Plus image.
The title thread is about image quality and people expect posts about this even finally you returned the camera because of other problem.

I think we can put the image quality down to a CODEC issue on my Mac
So you still believe that is a image problem even you saw the snapshots even your iPad Pro is showing no problem with the image quality.

For example I still hear some people that want to adjust Viofo CPL filters because on internet they can find a video made few years ago which is assuming that all Viofo CPL filters are not adjusted by the factory and user is forced to do this.

enjoy,
Mtz

OK, I understand but on a forum a complaint without proof remain a complaint. Was one page of discussions without a snapshot. Other people will read your thread and some of them will not reach page 2 where are my snapshots, showing nothing is wrong with the A129 Plus image.
The title thread is about image quality and people expect posts about this even finally you returned the camera because of other problem.

So you still believe that is a image problem even you saw the snapshots even your iPad Pro is showing no problem with the image quality.

For example I still hear some people that want to adjust Viofo CPL filters because on internet they can find a video made few years ago which is assuming that all Viofo CPL filters are not adjusted by the factory and user is forced to do this.

enjoy,
Mtz
Hi
So my second post quickly moved to established how this may actually be a playback issue on my part so I am not sure what your point is.
Because of how this thread has moved away from the image quality issues to hardware issues, I did look to either delete the post to avoid confusion or to rename the post but I do not have the rights to do this but I really don't understand the point you are trying to make here

On the "stop-start" issue I see it as more the car manufacturer's problem, and possibly one without a viable fix on their end. It kind of falls into the same catagory as the German cars whose power schemes do not and will not allow for an aftermarket non-factory device to be tied in and work correctly. It's not up to a dashcam manufacturer to design cars electrical systems to work as they should when their dashcams work fine in all other vehicles. But it would be nice if a cam manufacturer or powerbank manufacturer would come up with something to solve these issues at a reasonable price.

So until one or the other (or both) happens, you get to choose either to have the car you want or a dashcam that works correctly- not both.

Phil

Reactions: Mtz
On the "stop-start" issue I see it as more the car manufacturer's problem, and possibly one without a viable fix on their end. It kind of falls into the same catagory as the German cars whose power schemes do not and will not allow for an aftermarket non-factory device to be tied in and work correctly. It's not up to a dashcam manufacturer to design cars electrical systems to work as they should when their dashcams work fine in all other vehicles. But it would be nice if a cam manufacturer or powerbank manufacturer would come up with something to solve these issues at a reasonable price.

So until one or the other (or both) happens, you get to choose either to have the car you want or a dashcam that works correctly- not both.

Phil
I would agree with you to a point however when I can replicate the problem at a workbench with a good quality stable power supply, that tells me this is not a vehicle specific issue.

However something I have been doing on my last few cars for this very reason is to not wire the dash cam into the car.

Instead, I have wired a USB module instead giving me a pair of 3A USB ports that I can then plug whatever I want into. I did have a 5 Series BMW a few years ago where there was actually a USB port in the glovebox what was perfect for plugging in a dashcam which seems like a great idea in a world where more and more people want dashcams and the like but on my next 5 Series, the USB port was gone.

Likewise, on my current vehicle, where previously there was a 12 volt accessory socket (cigarette lighter to those of us who can remember), there are now a pair of USB C connections instead.

Phil
What are the problems you are aware of caused by the German cars?
I assume the issue with the cars is due to the amount of power management they now incorporate, monitoring closed current draw and shutting down circuits when a high drain is detected which obviously messes up parking modes. Is there others?
My BMW has the ‘BMW’ camera hardwired in and if I had the hardwire kit for the A139 I was going to use the same 3 connections.
part of the problem is because the current is monitored on the negative pole of the battery so any earth point at all around the car is taken in to account.
I usually disconnect the camera when parked though because I’m not happy with the battery soc level so I don’t know if a long park period would cause the car to kill it’s power supply.

BMW and Audi have some cars where there will be no power constantly available when the car is turned off except at the battery, and if you tap in there it sets an OBD trouble code for "unexpected power draw" which only the dealer can reset- then when you next use the cam while parked it does this again :mad: It's been discussed here on DCT several times and the cam owners have had to use powerbanks to have paring protection o_O It's not all their cars- just some- but few others brands are like this although the list is growing :(

If it matters to you then you need to get a money-back guarantee from the seller that you will be able to install a dashcam with a HWK using parking mode successfully, or be prepared to resolve any problems you find by yourself. That can be done but IMHO should not be necessary when a car costs that much :cautious:

Phil

BMW and Audi have some cars where there will be no power constantly available when the car is turned off except at the battery, and if you tap in there it sets an OBD trouble code for "unexpected power draw" which only the dealer can reset- then when you next use the cam while parked it does this again :mad: It's been discussed here on DCT several times and the cam owners have had to use powerbanks to have paring protection o_O It's not all their cars- just some- but few others brands are like this although the list is growing :(

If it matters to you then you need to get a money-back guarantee from the seller that you will be able to install a dashcam with a HWK using parking mode successfully, or be prepared to resolve any problems you find by yourself. That can be done but IMHO should not be necessary when a car costs that much :cautious:

Phil
I used to work for BMW so know they use a few different circuits, they used to split the terminal 30’s up into 30G and 30F, G shut down when the car does and F are permanent unless a fault is detected such as high current draw. Things like 12v sockets that used to be permanent were moved to 30G.
I’m not as familiar with the specifics of the Audi/Vag power management as to what is cut out when but do work on them now but I’m production based rather than dealer based so less exposed to issues like that.

Camera already returned, nothing to try. U3 is not helping a dashcam but a High Endurance card is the only recommended for a dashcam.
I did look to either delete the post to avoid confusion or to rename the post but I do not have the rights to do this
Yes, this should be the solution with threads which are starting with one problem and ending with another.
At least renaming it to something like Playback issues or Camera not recording all videos could tell more truth about this thread.

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make here
I was moderating a big forum for more than 8 years and in my froum area all threads had correct names because in situations like this I had the right to rename the thread to reflect the problem. Maybe because of this history I am expecting to see in a title of the thread what is happening inside.

Again, the title of this thread is not reflected by its posts. It is not your fault because you can not rename it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Camera already returned, nothing to try. U3 is not helping a dashcam but a High Endurance card is the only recommended for a dashcam.

Yes, this should be the solution with threads which are starting with one problem and ending with another.
At least renaming it to something like Playback issues or Camera not recording all videos could tell more truth about this thread.

I was moderating a big forum for more than 8 years and in my froum area all threads had correct names because in situations like this I had the right to rename the thread to reflect the problem. Maybe because of this history I am expecting to see in a title of the thread what is happening inside.

Again, the title of this thread is not reflected by its posts. It is not your fault because you can not rename it.

enjoy,
Mtz
Thanks

As final closure (and still nothing to do with image quality), the replacement unit works fine. I had to go for a Pro rather than a Plus in the end as there was no stock of the Plus to be had but same cable, same memory card, same car, same settings and it all works fine both on my desk and in the car. Managed a good hour long drive out today and working great.

Thanks for the input.

enjoy,
Mtz

Note that the thread starter can rename the thread. Click the 3 dots beside the "Watch" button in the top right corner. There will be an "Edit thread" button that allows you to rename the thread. I could rename it but the risk of that is people may think we are censoring content which is not the intent.

1608221511026.png

Note that the thread starter can rename the thread. Click the 3 dots beside the "Watch" button in the top right corner. There will be an "Edit thread" button that allows you to rename the thread. I could rename it but the risk of that is people may think we are censoring content which is not the intent.

View attachment 54649
Yes.
Found it and done it.
Thanks

Back