In there anything that covers 360 degrees?

I used a digital 8 camcorder rigged up to the passenger seat when i wanted in car race footage about 12 or 13 years ago. I mounted the camera to a piece of plywood then drilled holes in the plywood to put the headrest posts thru so the headrest held the camera plywood still. Mostly. Video got a little bouncy sometimes. In a later version of the Mount i stabilized the Mount with more high tech - a bungee cord from the front edge of the plywood down to the front of the seat cushion.

The camera had a FireWire plug so i had to add a 1394 card to my kickass dual cpu Pentium pro to import footage. ;)

My first use of a cam in a car was around 10 years ago when I used a cheapo small camcorder stuck to my dash with blu-tac.

My first was a Sony Handycam attached to the windscreen via suction cup.

CIMG6205.JPG

Last edited:
My first was a Sony Handycam attached to the windscreen via suction cup.

Wow, and I thought it was just me. We should start a thread about this. There are probably more hard core old school dash cammers out there. In my case I had someone harassing me and footage I shot from my vehicle helped get him busted and that is how I became interested in dash cams. BTW, in the end it was footage shot out the back windshield that finally led to the arrest, so I can say this off topic post is sort of still on topic.

my first exposure to 'dashcams' was in Russia about 7 years ago, was there for a trade show and I had a taxi driver that had a camcorder stuck to the top of his dash and set it to record before he drove anywhere, I asked him about it at the time and he said he was sick of being hit and people lying about what happened

Back