Inconsistent startup time

YouSparkle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased my B1W in May of last year. It is hardwired with a Meknic SV-PC02 kit and has Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO memory card.

I really like the camera except for one problem: the time it takes to start up is inconsistent. Sometimes it turns on and starts recording (as noted by the voice prompt) within seconds of starting the car. Other times, it takes several minutes, even 10-15 minutes before it starts up; I'll be driving down the highway 10 miles from the house and then hear the voice prompt telling me it is now recording.

I cannot seem to figure out any patterns as to when and why it takes longer to start up.

Is this a problem with the camera? The wiring kit? The memory card?

Thanks!

camera and memory card are the two common causes of random behavior, first things I would do would be do a full overwrite erase of the memory card using SDformatter to put it back to defaults settings, you'll need to use GUIformat to set it up for the camera after that, the more likely culprit is the power supply though, bypass your hardwire kit as a test using the included power supply that came with the camera and see if you still get random startup issues

camera and memory card are the two common causes of random behavior, first things I would do would be do a full overwrite erase of the memory card using SDformatter to put it back to defaults settings, you'll need to use GUIformat to set it up for the camera after that, the more likely culprit is the power supply though, bypass your hardwire kit as a test using the included power supply that came with the camera and see if you still get random startup issues

Thanks, I will try erasing the memory card and updating the firmware. Where can I find the best instructions to do this?

I don't think I have the original power supply anymore. Probably threw it away. However, I don't really understand how the power could be the issue. Seems like if it were, it would have consistent failures (like never turning on), but perhaps I'm wrong in my assumptions that a faulty power source would not cause it to delay like mine does.

power supply is the more likely of the two, a lot of those generic power supplies have very inconsistent output, you can check your install as well as a poor ground can cause issues

If the power adapter is exposed to low temperatures and there are not very high quality elements inside, then it takes time to supply full power to the dash (until these elements get warm).
Last winter in severe frost in Russia there were such cases (although with other dashcams)

Please have a check the battery output with a multimeter when ignition on and also what is the cutoff set value on your hardwire kit?

Here in the US any of the big auto parts stores like Advance, AutoZone, or O'Reilys will check your battery and charging system for free if you don't have a DMM. You can ask them the voltage values or peek over their shoulder at the meter yourself.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V B1W 1
C B1W 8
Back