Infrared Thermal Cameras -- any suggestions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 85644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 85644

I have wanted an thermal camera for a number of years, did not buy one in the past as the technology swing between inexpensive and expensive was too vast. In other words, the inexpensive ones were truly inadequate and the expensive ones were adequate, but were too expensive.

I have looked at the offerings from Seek Thermal, Flir, Fluke, Bosch, and a number of lesser brands. Due to cost, I have narrowed it down to the Seek Shot Pro and Compact series, and the Flir One.

Those of you that have a thermal camera, what are you using and do you like the camera?

I have wanted an thermal camera for a number of years, did not buy one in the past as the technology swing between inexpensive and expensive was too vast. In other words, the inexpensive ones were truly inadequate and the expensive ones were adequate, but were too expensive.

I have looked at the offerings from Seek Thermal, Flir, Fluke, Bosch, and a number of lesser brands. Due to cost, I have narrowed it down to the Seek Shot Pro and Compact series, and the Flir One.

Those of you that have a thermal camera, what are you using and do you like the camera?
I don't have one, but I'd imagine they'd all do the same thing, guessing some of them have apps and extra features. I think some even clip into the USB port on your android or iPhone.

There are a bunch of cheaper ones on AliExpress, but you'd have to know the reputable brands and that's more research there. But the savings could be worth it and if it's reliable, then who cares right.

Thermal imagers are a dime a dozen and the quality is across the board, and related to the price. I will likely get the Seek Shot Pro, the GUI seems to be not as intuitive as the Flir, but has a better screen resolution. On the other hand, the Flir has an excellent image overlay, lower resolution, but a better GUI.

Thermal imagers are a dime a dozen and the quality is across the board, and related to the price. I will likely get the Seek Shot Pro, the GUI seems to be not as intuitive as the Flir, but has a better screen resolution. On the other hand, the Flir has an excellent image overlay, lower resolution, but a better GUI.
Depends how much you would use it, otherwise it'll be up for sale within the next few months. As long as it gets you the results you need, I'd personally just go for the most cost-effective solution

I had, years back, a Flir ONE (gen 1 i assume) device that plugged into a phone. I went through 4 of them as they said was defective...never got a good one. The damn thing has a battery life of no more than 5min, then its dead. Useless device, very poor image. You get what you pay for. Have seen proper Thermal cams, you be spending well over $1K just for a proper entry level model. $5K and up for proper higher end models.

I think CAT makes a rugged Android based smartphone that is also a decent Thermal cam.

O i very much like something like that too, but not a regular binoculars or spotting scope, i want a thermal scope to put on my air rifle. Thermal / IR scopes here, like a modertor, you need a permit to buy one, and as i do not have a permit to do pesting or hunting ( you also need a permit for that ) well i would not be able to get a thermal scope legally.

Fortunately you do not yet need a permission to breathe in Denmark, but the technology in the movie Black Widow i am sure the rulers here would like to deploy in all Danes.

I would also like a set of head mounted NVGs, of the latest genration of course, but these are also at a price i can not justify for the amount of use i would get.

EEVblog's community goes in deep on thermal imaging as it has many applications there. This is their dedicated section, which may or may not help the selection:

Last edited:
Back