Innovv amazing feature: Auto Bright Night

I think that only the programmers who write the firmware can tell what this feature is really. I believe that in reality it's just a Gamma (or Brightness) increasing.

for sure this is what it is, it's still a quite valid option though as it's not practical to keep changing these settings yourself, even in a dashcam that has a screen you're not going to do it with any regularity so this is quite a good way to handle it

Same for the famous/pretentious WDR or HDR, because I doubt that those sensors have capabilities to delivery HDR images. Real HDR combines at least 2 different exposures to deliver a high dynamic range image.

correct again, when you see real hardware WDR you'll actually notice the picture adjusting back and forth constantly, more noticeable in the daytime, it's a lot different to the function we see in the Novatek product, the 96650 still does quite a good job nonetheless anyway all things considered

My old Softpedia friend ursamajor knows many things about photography so he can understand better than me what is happening also because it is shooting in the dark the moon.
The ABN name is just an option which was born without having a name. And was created in my mind without a name because the idea was more important.
The HDR setting of Innovv is not spectacular and I can see just a little difference and is offered by the chipset not by Innovv as a special feature.

My first idea about ABN was just to increase the EV at +1.5... + 2 value. I know some artifacts will appear at these values but some price must be paid for a much brighter image.
Maybe you can share some idea about which other image settings must be done.

enjoy,
Mtz

The ideas are limited because of... firmware. In other my LS650W thread (I would quote posts #13 to #18)I asked about a more permissive firmware, who gives the possibility to the user to modify more parameters: gain, gamma, brightness etc. jokiin, you said that it's not possible, because the firmware is too ermetic and limited. Still I'm sure that it's physically possible to built a fully customizable firmware. Even for 96650 + AR0330 platform, as you said. The problem is that this firmware asks over medium knowledges about video processing and I believe that's why the developers don't release such of permissive firmware. It's a limit like the famous Intel limit: "Intel inside, idiot outside". :))))

Mtz, modifying the Exposure values will just increase the exposure time and can make worse images in low light, by blurring the image. I tested my LS650W in low light and I found that the maximum acceptable modification of the exposure is in +/-1 limits.

The ideas are limited because of... firmware. In other my LS650W thread (I would quote posts #13 to #18)I asked about a more permissive firmware, who gives the possibility to the user to modify more parameters: gain, gamma, brightness etc. jokiin, you said that it's not possible, because the firmware is too ermetic and limited. Still I'm sure that it's physically possible to built a fully customizable firmware. Even for 96650 + AR0330 platform, as you said. The problem is that this firmware asks over medium knowledges about video processing and I believe that's why the developers don't release such of permissive firmware. It's a limit like the famous Intel limit: "Intel inside, idiot outside". :))))

yeah Mobius are talking about making a wider range of adjustments available in an advanced menu section so we should soon see just what sort of possibilities the chipset offers, that said and as you've hinted, I suspect this may give even more control than most users reasonably know what to do with so we could see some very mixed results, time will tell

I wait the day when I will use a dashcam for astroplanetary photography... :D

I'll have to confess we haven't considered any firmware changes suitable for astroplanetary photography use as yet, I'd probably like to improve parking mode before then ;)

It's just an idea: the astronomy market it's a good market for business. Maybe somebody will take it and develope it. But even you can consider to release a model dedicated for astrophotography, ie with fully customizable firmware. The dedicated CCDs are far more expensive that a converted dashcam. Take the example of Canon, who released some models dedicated to astrophoto, last I believe it was Canon 60Da.

PS: I'll be here for you for testings and even for advertising. ;)
PPS: it was my last off topic. ;)

Last edited:
It's just an idea: the astronomy market it's a good market for business. Maybe somebody will take it and develope it. But even you can consider to release a model dedicated for astrophotography, ie with fully customizable firmware. The dedicated CCDs are far more expensive that a converted dashcam. Take the example of Canon, who released some models dedicated to astrophoto, last I believe it was Canon 60Da.

PPS: it was my last off topic.;)

Your idea is very interesting!
Let's keep discussion and look into it through the messages.

Sorry, I'm also off the topic. Let's get back.

Last edited:
The discussion can be about which parameters should be modified to have a good bright night image. Not about firmware modification because we don't know how to do this but about standard image parameters found in any camera.
For example I prefer the lowest color saturation. In fact I am keeping all my cameras with low saturation, even day or night.

enjoy,
Mtz

This is the new feature for Innovv, and no other DashCam has such function.

I'd like to learn from people how it work in your experience.

PPS: it was my last off topic. ;)

Nikon coolpix 4500 had been the favourite....now you can pick them up cheap..
with modded firmware...you can get real raw file..

Back