Installing a Blackvue into a BMW 640 - help!

BMW 640

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some guidance/advice, or general help with my Blackvue 650 two channel into my 2013 BMW 640d.

I bought the dashcams along with the "Power Magic Pro" as was advised to me, and after checking various YouTube installs. I also bought the little "add a fuse" connector.

I referred back to the YouTube video regarding a typical install into a BMW, and then found the advice: "do not connect via the fuse box, hard wire directly to the battery!"

Ah, ok.

So I checked the YouTube videos for hard wire. Seems simple enough.

So, I have set up the cameras, hidden all the wires and connected and located the Power Magic Pro in the boot of the car.

Booted it up and hey presto, it all worked. Great! Right?

No.

After a short while the camera tells me its switching off. So I reboot it and it all works again. Only for it to tell me that its switching itself off after a while.

Now I have checked the setting in the Power Magic Pro, to ensure that it has power to it for up to 12 hours. And the voltage is correct at 11.8v.

So, back to YouTube for some assistance, only to find another video that tells me "do not use a Power Magic Pro with a modern BMW, and never connect to the battery, as your car could go on fire!"

Wow!

So, out to the car, and off with the Power Magic Pro, as now I don't trust it.

I then find another piece of equipment being touted a "Multi Safer" and its connection to a fuse in the fuse box for BMW's.

A quick search doesn't seem to produce anything for the UK though, and it looks suspiciously like the Power Magic Pro.

So now, I have the Blackvue kit, installed in my car, with no power.

What is going on, and who to listen to.

Anyone out there had similar?

Hi, and thanks for that. I don't have PayPal, so cannot buy from there.

But, bit of an update, I have taken professional advice and it seems that its not a good idea to be playing around with electronics in modern BMW's. My battery is in the boot [trunk] and my fuse box, in the glove compartment area. I was advised with such words as "voltage drop", "Increased risk of fire" and so on.

So I have decided, that I will take my chances without a dashcam fitted in this car, and will be offering up for sale a brand new Blackvue 650 2CH. Just need to uninstall it first.

Back