Intelligent parking mode

virgilio

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi
I think the Intelligent Parking Mode, that only reacts to the G sensor, does not record a few seconds before the event unlike other cameras do. Even when it is wired to the fuse box since it only gets the ACC red cable. However, if I connect it to an external battery with ACC and B+ supply (like Cellink one) can I get those seconds of recording before the event? Off course I would have to join the 2 power wires into that red to drive energy to the camera, so the camera will receive permanent energy without affecting the car battery, and possibly the intelligent parking function is never called. The question is if in that case the camera reacts to the sensors, G, proximity, area, etc. that we need when parking?
Regards
Virgilio

Hi
I think the Intelligent Parking Mode, that only reacts to the G sensor, does not record a few seconds before the event unlike other cameras do. Even when it is wired to the fuse box since it only gets the ACC red cable. However, if I connect it to an external battery with ACC and B+ supply (like Cellink one) can I get those seconds of recording before the event? Off course I would have to join the 2 power wires into that red to drive energy to the camera, so the camera will receive permanent energy without affecting the car battery, and possibly the intelligent parking function is never called. The question is if in that case the camera reacts to the sensors, G, proximity, area, etc. that we need when parking?
Regards
Virgilio
the camera only wakes up after a bump is detected so there isnt any real way, nextbase probably isnt for you and youll need a camera with buffered parking mode

the camera only wakes up after a bump is detected so there isnt any real way, nextbase probably isnt for you and youll need a camera with buffered parking mode
Yes, I see, intelligence has its limits. Thanks, I'll go for the buffered thing.

Welcome to the forum virgilio.
It sound like you have a little knowledge of CCTV cameras, but dashcameras are no way like those.
I myself use AI smart motion detect on the CCTV camera aimed at my car, so i only get a notification if something human or vehicle shaped move near my car, this is made even more easy as the camera view my parked car from above, so the camera do not watch horizontal to infinity, if it did it would probably see human and vehicle shapes move all the time and so also give a alarm all the time.

In my dashcams i use low bitrate that record all the time, but i only use that for 1 hour on the build in timer, this cover all my shopping, elsewhere i park i am covered by CCTV.
I also have G-sensor on so if the car are bumped hard that will get locked away in the RO folder, and since it is currently a SG camera i use, i generally get minutes from before the event saved,,,, and after, as this brand handle events in segments and as i use 3 minute i get 2 of those saved, either the segment before current one or the segment after the current one,,,,, all depending where in the current 3 minute segment i am then the event happen, and thats on each camera, so in real video time i get 12 minutes of footage locked with every event, 2 X 3 minutes on the front camera and the same 2 X 3 minutes on the rear camera.
Otherwise the low bitrate are just like regular footage and will get deleted if it is the oldest on the memory card, but with a sufficient large memory card this is no problem i feel, you would have to park for really long times and every day, in that case you might only have the last 12 - 24 hours of footage on the memory card,,,,,, which could be a problem if your car have been parked for 26 hours and got dented right after you parked it.

Still.
I have very little faith in dashcam parking mode will some day be able to do something for me, it is just a feature to me, one i would trade up any time for better video in regular drive and recording mode if i could do that.
And ! i had my car broken in to a year ago, but at that particular time i did not test parking guard, though in the darkness of the back yard where i park my car i am almost 100 % sure the camera would have given no usable footage.

I also like flying and going to new places, but i have never wished i had wings.

Some new dashcams have radar for use in parking mode, but it is not used like a smarter motion detect, if they did it would be just like regular motion detect and trigger far too often.
What they do is use the radar to send the dashcam to a deeper sleep state, and so save power and make parking guard possible for longer duration's, if there is something the radar see it will wake up the camera,,,,,, but it might not record if say it is set to G-sensor but the car dont get bumped.
But i have not paid much notice to these systems, but i do get one to test maybe in May,,,,,, but i dont think it will revolutionize my view on these so called smart cameras.

Thanks Kamkar. Your experience is very informative and very much welcome here. I agree that we cannot expect much of the parking mode functions. I'm aware that many injuries made to a parked car are lateral, on the doors, where our front and back dashcams are useless. Though... to have nothing is worse. :cool:

Back