Interesting lorry indicator for cyclists

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
Lorry has an auxillary left turn indicator warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside.
Ties in with my current avatar, obviously.

Don't think it had any effect on this cyclist who couldn't undertake the lorry anyway.
I find it tragic that there's a need to jump through hoops to keep reminding cyclists how dangerous undertaking lorries at junctions is. And I hate how cycling groups keep demanding every solution under the sun to the deaths that keep happening - other than cyclists taking responsibility for their own safety.

I cycle, and only needed to be alerted to this danger once. I just don't get why anyone would take such a stupid risk with such terrifying consequences.

cycling.JPG

Just looking at your table, why do the women get killed by lorries, but not cars or busses?

Not convinced it's true, I can remember a women cyclist undertaking me on approach to a roundabout and then undertaking a bus while on the roundabout, the bus was going left, the cyclist was going straight on, the outcome was inevitable! I was also going straight across, but waited in the queue following the normal rules of the road like all the other traffic so perfectly safe.

Your cyclist has removed his rear reflector, and removed his pedal reflectors that all new bikes are fitted with, and has one of those stupid flashing LED lights instead of a proper one conforming to the appropriate legal standards.

Plus he has a black bike, black trousers, black helmet, black gloves - but surprisingly not a matching black coat!

I really dislike those little ( often just one 5 mm LED ) lights, they are allso illigal here now, but still a lot of ppl use them.

Some years ago on a dark winter morning i allmost ran over a woman on a bicycle, in all the other lights i simply missed her miserable little headlight and pulled out right in front of her.
Lucky for her it was on a incline so she was not going fast, and i did see her but just too late.
Dont know why bicyclist dont use some of the kick ass LED lights, if i was pushing pedals i would not use less than 2000 lumen.
And as a bicyclist i would NEVER trust anything on the road with a motor and/or 4 wheels or more.
As a kid i was run into a ditch by some idiot towing a caravan, the idiot dident even notice he hit me and just kept on driving.

Some of them are bright enough, but you still need something else to enhance the visibility.
I usually had some additional reflectors and lights on when riding at night.
(I still was run over by a drunk who intentionally rear ended me at 30 mph.....to 'scare' me.)

Plus he has a black bike, black trousers, black helmet, black gloves - but surprisingly not a matching black coat!
Just yesterday morning I was out before dawn and saw a jogger running along the shoulder of the road. Dark skinned (negro) wearing black shoes, black pants, black sweater, and black knit cap. He was totally invisible until about 10 feet from my vehicle. :eek::(

that was just on an overcast day (plus shade from all the trees). These morons ride at night the same way too.

flashing lights are good to grab your attention rather than ones that are just on solid. obviously i understand the need for a solid headlight so you can see where you're going, but that can't be your only light if you ride at night.

There is no shortage of reflective stuff you can buy, and lights. I even have reflective rim tape on the wheels of my bikes and motorcycles. I'm afraid some of the militant bike riders are more prepared to scream at you for not seeing them, than making it easier for you to see them.
(If you are paying attention)

My friend have 3 x 10 LED strips on the harness for his dog, 1 strip on each side of the dog, and 1 strip on the chest pice of the harness.

Got to have that when we go drive our little RC trucks in the dark forrest, otherwise we can only hear where the dog is or see it when it is in front of our RC trucks.

I have lost count of the number of cyclists I've seen at night with no lights or reflectors. And yes, many wearing black.
Just a few minutes ago I passed a woman with no rear light or reflectors. How relieved I was to look in my mirror and realise she had a flashy front light. Perfectly safe then. Oh, she had reflectors on the wheels that could be seen from the side only.

She's the second cyclist in these clips taken in the last mile of my journey home tonight:

Umm, let's think. Where are the vehicles coming from that are most likely to hit an unseen cyclist? Duuur.

Last edited:
I have lost count of the number of cyclists I've seen at night with no lights or reflectors. And yes, many wearing black.
Just a few minutes ago I passed a woman with no rear light or reflectors. How relieved I was to look in my mirror and realise she had a flashy front light. Perfectly safe then. Oh, she had reflectors on the wheels that could be seen from the side only.

Umm, let's think. Where are the vehicles coming from that are most likely to hit an unseen cyclist? Duuur.
Why do so many bikes not have rear reflectors and pedal reflectors when all new bikes have been fitted with rear reflectors and pedal reflectors since the 1970s and wheel reflectors since I guess the 1980s?

It is illegal to ride a bicycle after sunset without front and rear lights, a rear reflector and 4 pedal reflectors, all clearly documented in the highway code so people should know and it is easy to check.

Dont know why bicyclist dont use some of the kick ass LED lights, if i was pushing pedals i would not use less than 2000 lumen.
I suspect that would be illegal here under the rules against causing dazzle. I met a cyclist on a single track country road in complete darkness last year and could see nothing but his LED light. I had no choice but to stop fairly suddenly since I couldn't see the road any more, luckily it was safe to stop but that is not always the case. He wasn't very pleased when I intentionally stopped blocking his way and so spoilt his lap time! You need a system to dip the beam if you are going to have very bright lights.

Just looking at your table, why do the women get killed by lorries, but not cars or busses?

Not convinced it's true, I can remember a women cyclist undertaking me on approach to a roundabout and then undertaking a bus while on the roundabout, the bus was going left, the cyclist was going straight on, the outcome was inevitable! I was also going straight across, but waited in the queue following the normal rules of the road like all the other traffic so perfectly safe.
The table is from here http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...nd-traffic-blackspots-in-london-10341420.html

The question I would ask is, if motorists are the guilty parties as often claimed, then how can you explain the "gender disparity" in the accident figures?

I'm not bashing other cyclists, just sick of the twisted selfish attitudes of people who always want to blame someone else.
The more you persuade cyclists that they cannot be held to blame, the more danger they will put themselves in.

Offcourse the light will have to be aimed at the road some distance in front of the bicycle, this in turn allso allow you to see where you are going.
We met a fjew MTB riders in the forrest at night, some with extremely bright light on the bike but allso a headlamp.

That beeing said i do flash oncomming traffic with my 2000 lumen nitecore P36 but only the ones that dont turn down ther high beams for me.
And :D if i see the police mobile speed traps they get a flash too.

Offcourse the light will have to be aimed at the road some distance in front of the bicycle, this in turn allso allow you to see where you are going.
We met a fjew MTB riders in the forrest at night, some with extremely bright light on the bike but allso a headlamp.
Plenty of cyclists in Well-lit London have extremely bright LED head-mounted lights. The focused light is brighter than car headlights. They often point them right in the eyes of drivers they've initiated arguments with.

Here's one I remember. Look what he does at 1:50. Also at 3:00.
I tried explaining to him why the woman complained about the bright light, but he wasn't having any of it.

Last edited:
Yeah that wont work, the MTB riders we met in the forresst dont even have the handlebar light pointed down, and then when they pass by on a 2 foot wide trail they look at us.
So we have to stand still waiting for some degree of night vision to return, and its not like our little RC trucks are devoid of light, we run about 20 X 55.000 MCD LEDs ( think its the strongest 5 mm LEDs you can get )

Looking into the light on the RC trucks is allso a bad idea :rolleyes: but at least those lights are only 5 - 10 Cm over the ground.

I think bicycle lights here are supposed to be mounted on the bike, dont recall seeing anybody on the streets using a head lamp, that seem to be a MTB rider only thing.

Law in general say
Front light allso have to be visible from the side and if its flashing it have to do so at atleast 120 flash /s ( white & blue light )
Yellow front light not allowed to flash
Rear light have to be red, allso visible from 300 M, its allso okay to flash at 120 flash/s
Stronger front lights have to be aimed down a little and is not allowed to blind other ppl or mootorists ( ruling out headlamps )

Lights have to be mounted on bicycle but you can use smaller lights on legs or in your back pocket as additional light.

Battery operated lights have to last at least 5 houres in 5 degree C temperatures.

And then you allso have the reflectors front and rear ( white / red ) and you must have 2 moving yellow reflectors visible from fromt and back ( pedal reflectors )

Last edited:
No excuse for those cyclists who went through a red light at 1:54 and 2:18 or the cyclists who were waiting at the red light but blocking the road and the guy at 3:32 who rode away from the lights right down the middle of the road.

As i have said elsewhere before it do look like its a free for all cyclist in London, i am sure if they drive like that here there would be truble, but thankfully we have bicycle paths where they can drive like idiots.
Where there is no bicycle paths i think the cyclist have to keep right ( to the side of the road ) and not drive beside eachother, weaving in and out of traffic is just going to get some one ( cyclist ) killed.

Now dont belive anything they say here, cycling is not a dance on roses in Copenhagen, but if you are used to fight your way around London or some major US town i think you will feel quite safe and relaxed.

the cyclists who were waiting at the red light but blocking the road and the guy at 3:32 who rode away from the lights right down the middle of the road.
This is exactly what Advanced Stop Line areas are designed to get cyclists to do.
The theory is that putting them there allows them to get up to speed and so be less vulnerable to accidents.
I just don't understand the logic. Does any motorist? Does any cyclist?
God forbid that they should learn to pull away without wobbling all over the place. I can do this. Why can't they? Am I superhuman?

At best, advanced stop lines protect them from risks they create themselves in the first place by overtaking dangerously at the approach to a junction.
If they want to "take the lane" in primary position, pull off at their own pace and then move to the side when up to speed, they can do that perfectly well by joining the queue. But no! Reward them instead for their dangerous riding by giving them a filter lane to the front of the queue and a box where they can block all traffic.

It's as if the authorities have just accepted that cyclists will never behave reasonably, and decided if they can't control cyclists, then the only way to stop them dying is to control motorists around cyclists.
That is not reasonable or fair. It's not right. And it's not true. Cyclists could be made to behave responsibly if they were held responsible for their actions and punished. And sent a totally clear message that their safety is above all their responsibility.

We have to send a clear message that it's not socially acceptable for cyclists to act like complete tossers.

Sorry for banging on about this. I went for a short walk just now and kept seeing more of the same crap. Cyclists without lights. Weaving between cars with no regard for safety or consideration for others. One blasted past cars stopped at a zebra crossing on the inside, nearly hitting someone crossing. I'm just so sick of it.

Now dont belive anything they say here, cycling is not a dance on roses in Copenhagen, but if you are used to fight your way around London or some major US town i think you will feel quite safe and relaxed.

Watched the video. Looks nice, especially the segregation. But they let the cat out of the bag at 4:12, 5:52 and 7:30. It's all done at the expense of motorists, especially their speed. If you aren't going to have completely segregated systems for cyclists and motorists, then you need to decide who are the primary road users. Who does society need most? Motorists or cyclists? Who keeps the economy running? What is the true cost of this cycling utopia and is it (I hate to use this word but I will...) sustainable?

Last edited:
Saw a ninja cyclist tonight. black bike, black jacket, black trouisers and no lights.
Also blinded by a cyclist with an arc welding kit attached to the front of his bike!
Now.
I would've thought that most every bike sold will end up on a road at some point. We have LED technology that can run on almost zero power - so why are we not seeing cycles being sold with built in lighting - that is, built in so that the owner cannot remove it without taking his bike to bits.
You cannot buy a car without a horn or lights - so why cycles?
Also, when they are on the road, why are cycles not subject to the same laws as the rest of the road traffic? Lighting has to conform to certain spec - but not cycles. They seem to be allowed to have as many strobe lights as they like attached to themselves and their bikes. These strobes seem to be almost as bright as the sun & always seem to be aimed directly into my eyes on dark, unlit roads. (how on earth do these flashing lights allow them to see all the potholes they are so keen to avoid?).
Pre-installed lights will get away from all this, ensuring main front beams are angled down to illuminate the road & not my retina & LED strips will ensure the cycle is visible day and night.

Back