Intermittently losing parts of recordings on A119 Mini (loops not full lengths)

NeoteriX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! I’ve been having the issue of intermittently losing a short amount of time recording on my Viofo A119 Mini currently mounted rearward (and something I’m not seeing with my A119 Mini 2, currently mounted forward).

The way this issue will present itself is on a continuous single drive, I will normally expect to see the same second time repeat through all of the videos, if the camera is correctly writing a new file every two minutes. I will also often see the same file size repeat itself (typically 404MB, though I know there is variable bitrate). In the screenshot below, I had a quick drive to Dunkin Donuts this morning and the car was on the entire time. You can see several times that the file size and second time changes, and those clips are less than 2 minutes long and have missing time intervals.

This is something that has been happening in some way for a while, and I’d done a variety of steps including starting with a “Samsung PRO Endurance 256GB” sd card, completely formatting it on my PC using the official SD Association card formatter, finding out that the Samsung cards are actually not recommended, and so recently switching to Sandisk Max Endurance 256GB cards. For the most recent run, I put the card in as-is from the factory, I’ll next try formally formatting with the SD association app, but I’m not feeling optimistic here.

Does anyone have any thoughts? What am I missing here?

I currently have the A119 Mini set to the following settings:
  • 2560x1440/60 fps, with audio recording
  • Loop recording every 2 minutes
  • HDR auto, only on in the evenings
  • Bitrate High
  • GPS on
  • Firmware: A119 Mini_V1.1.20230420
  • App Version 3.2.14
Additional notes:
  • I turned on the power on/off sounds to see if there’s some kind of power loss that coincides with this, but I do not hear any power on/off sounds.
  • The loss of doesn’t seem to coincide with any big bumps in the road or anything (pointing to a jostling of the 12V or an internally frayed wire), in fact I’ve observed this happening when the car is still or nearly still (in a parking spot or waiting in a drive thru)
  • With the Sandisk Max Endurance 256GB on the A119 Mini V2 (with a factory format) the recording looks to be good and consistent

I tried to duplicate your malfunction with my original A119 Mini (2022) to no avail.
I used your settings, and configurations.
I used a 256GB Viofo SD Card.
I tried two separate times letting the camera run for 2 hours each time.
At the end of two hours I checked each video, and every one was 2 minutes long.
I let the camera run in my office in front of an alarm clock.
If you don’t get this figured out in the next few days I think you have pretty much proven to yourself this camera is now defective, and no longer reliable.
This camera can no longer be trusted.
Even though the camera is out of warranty, I would submit an official support ticket to report the malfunction, and request a “good will” discount on an A119 Mini 2.

Attachments

• Firmware Versions .png
    Firmware Versions .png
    97.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2 Minute Clips .png
    2 Minute Clips .png
    781.9 KB · Views: 1
  • End 316AM .png
    End 316AM .png
    135.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Start 118AM .png
    Start 118AM .png
    133 KB · Views: 1
„Samsung PRO Endurance 256GB“ is not recomended micro SD card !!!!

Last edited:
I tried to duplicate your malfunction with my original A119 Mini (2022) to no avail.
I used your settings, and configurations.
I used a 256GB Viofo SD Card.
I tried two separate times letting the camera run for 2 hours each time.
At the end of two hours I checked each video, and every one was 2 minutes long.
I let the camera run in my office in front of an alarm clock.
If you don’t get this figured out in the next few days I think you have pretty much proven to yourself this camera is now defective, and no longer reliable.
This camera can no longer be trusted.
Even though the camera is out of warranty, I would submit an official support ticket to report the malfunction, and request a “good will” discount on an A119 Mini 2.

Thank you @Panzer Platform for validating my settings (that was a lot of work and quite above and beyond!) and @VIOFO-Support - yeah I was testing this a bit last night as well in parallel and I'm ashamed to say it looks like it was the motion detection setting. I hadn't even noticed it when reading through the settings, and started to piece things together when I had it sitting on my own counter pointed at a corner of the room and very little was recording. This also looks consistent with my issue, as it the camera looks to have stopped recording when I stopped in the drive thru.

I've reset my settings, made sure motion detection is off, and will let it run for several drives and then review it again. Based on your results and my testing, I feel pretty confident the issue will be resolved... embarrassingly it was user error all along!

Back