IROAD OBD-II Power Cable

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
I'm testing a Thinkware OBD-II power cable and it appears to use the CANBUS signals on OBD-II data link connector pins 6 & 14. It was suggested I get the IROAD OBD-II Power Cable (JW-100) to see how it behaves. @BlackboxMyCar was kind enough to send me one of the IROAD OBD-II power cables (JW-100) for testing.

Pictures:

iroad_obdii_jw_100_01.jpgiroad_obdii_jw_100_02.jpgiroad_obdii_jw_100_03.jpgiroad_obdii_jw_100_04.jpgiroad_obdii_jw_100_05.jpg

The IROAD OBD-II power cable only has two data link connector pins. Pin 16 for 12-volt vehicle system power and pin 4 for the ground. The barrel connector that plugs into the dash camera has the ground on the large external connector, accessory power on the external tip ring and constant battery power is present on the internal connector. The cable which supplies power to the dash camera is 2.95M (9.67 ft) in length and it contains 22 AWG wires. This unit is a JW-100 which is compatible only with 12-volt vehicles (ICE/Hybrid). There is a JW-200 unit which is intended for electric vehicles.

Specifications (from Quick Start Guide):

Model: IROAD OBD-II Powercable
Model Number: JW-100 / JW-200
Input: DC 12V ~ 15V
Output: DC 12V ~ 15V
Output current: Max 1.8A
Operating Temperature: -40 ~ 85 C
Overcurrent shutdown: Min 3.4A

Observed Behavior
  • Mode Switch
    • S = Parking Mode Off
      • When parking mode conditions are met, the accessory and constant power will be turned off
    • P = Parking Mode On
      • When parking mode conditions are met, the accessory power will be turned off and the constant power will remain on
  • Power Levels / Triggering Events
    • Not Plugged Into OBD-II Data Link Connector => Plugged In
      • Accessory power and constant power are turned on
    • Parking Mode Conditions
      • Enter Parking Mode
        • Vehicle is stationary for 5 minutes & vehicle system voltage (pin 16) is below 13.5 volts
          • Accessory power is turned off
        • Vehicle system voltage is 13.5 volts or higher
          • If the vehicle system voltage remains at or above 13.5 volts, the accessory power will remain on no matter how long the vehicle is stationary
      • Exit Parking Mode
        • Vehicle begins moving & vehicle system voltage is between 11.2 volts and 13.49 volts
          • Accessory power is turned on
        • Vehicle remains stationary but the vehicle system voltage increases to a minimum of 13.5 volts
          • Accessory power is turned on
      • Low Voltage Cutoff - While In Parking Mode
        • ** Note **
          • Since 12-volt power is being provided to the dash camera, the dash camera's internal low voltage cutoff feature can be used to shutdown the dash camera based on the user selected voltage level in the firmware settings of the dash camera.
          • This section is simply documenting the IROAD OBD-II power cable's internal low voltage cutoff feature as mentioned in the product's quick start guide.
        • Vehicle system voltage goes below 11.2 volts for at least 2 minutes
          • Constant power is turned off
        • Vehicle system voltage is below 11.2 volts but rises to at least 11.2 volts
          • Constant power is turned on, but accessory power remains off until the vehicle moves or the vehicle system voltage reaches 13.5 volts.

Last edited:
Excellent testing.
Long story short.
1.) Is the IROAD OBD-II power cable 100% fully compatible with the Thinkware U3000 (Yes / No)?
2.) If not, what functionality is lost?
3.) What other issues are there to consider using the IROAD OBD-II power cable with the Thinkware U3000?
4.) Can you provide a link to the Female OBD2 Pigtail used for testing?
I may need to obtain one for testing the Vantrue OBD2 power cable, and I’d prefer to have the same one as you, unless you can recommend a different one.

1.) Is the IROAD OBD-II power cable 100% fully compatible with the Thinkware U3000 (Yes / No)?
In my bench testing, the IROAD OBD-II power cable appears to be fully compatible with the Thinkware U3000 dash camera. I will be testing it in my car later today.

The "PRECAUTION" page for the IROAD OBD-II power cable states: "Please only use IROAD dash cam. It may cause defects when used with other products."

I believe others have successfully used the IROAD OBD-II power cable with other Thinkware dash cameras. The Battery/Accessory/Ground distribution on the barrel connector is the same and the size/shape of the barrel connector is the same.

2.) If not, what functionality is lost?
I'm not aware of any lost functionality.

3.) What other issues are there to consider using the IROAD OBD-II power cable with the Thinkware U3000?
The low voltage cutoff feature turns off the power to the dash camera at a very low voltage of 11.2 volts (in my testing). The dash camera constant battery power is kept on down to 11.2 volts. When I drop the power supply voltage to 11.15 volts for a period of 2 minutes, the OBD-II device turns off the constant battery power. When I raise the power supply voltage back to 11.2 volts the OBD-II device restores the constant battery power sent to the dash camera.

4.) Can you provide a link to the Female OBD2 Pigtail used for testing?
Here's the Amazon link for the OBD-II pigtail I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08F5J9DCN

Excellent.
Thank you very much.

Paging Doctor Ben @safedrivesolutions
If I remember correctly, Ben was holding up a custom modified IROAD OBD2 power cable to be used for other brands he sells like Viofo during our last Zoom meeting.
Hey Ben, can we get some more info on these custom power cables you provide for your customers?
-Chuck

In my bench testing, the IROAD OBD-II power cable appears to be fully compatible with the Thinkware U3000 dash camera. I will be testing it in my car later today.

The "PRECAUTION" page for the IROAD OBD-II power cable states: "Please only use IROAD dash cam. It may cause defects when used with other products."

I believe others have successfully used the IROAD OBD-II power cable with other Thinkware dash cameras. The Battery/Accessory/Ground distribution on the barrel connector is the same and the size/shape of the barrel connector is the same.

I'm not aware of any lost functionality.

The low voltage cutoff feature turns off the power to the dash camera at a very low voltage of 11.2 volts (in my testing). The dash camera constant battery power is kept on down to 11.2 volts. When I drop the power supply voltage to 11.15 volts for a period of 2 minutes, the OBD-II device turns off the constant battery power. When I raise the power supply voltage back to 11.2 volts the OBD-II device restores the constant battery power sent to the dash camera.

Here's the Amazon link for the OBD-II pigtail I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08F5J9DCN
Amazing! Glad to hear the results.

For reference, we've been using this IROAD OBD-II cable with Thinkware cameras for multiple years now, with no issues other than the occasional vehicle incompatibility.

What you said about an 11.2V cut-off is a bit concerning, much lower than 12.0V that we use as standard. From my understanding, the OBD cable uses the camera's voltage cut-off settings, otherwise we'd surely have heard word of drained car batteries at 11.2V.

From testing this IROAD OBD-II cable a while ago with a FineVu GX1000, I can confirm that it respected different voltage cut-off settings with that model.

-Grayson

What you said about an 11.2V cut-off is a bit concerning, much lower than 12.0V that we use as standard. From my understanding, the OBD cable uses the camera's voltage cut-off settings, otherwise we'd surely have heard word of drained car batteries at 11.2V.
The 11.2 volt low voltage cutoff value I mention is what is built into the IROAD OBD-II power cable unit itself.

In the IROAD OBD-II power cable quick start guide: "Built-in low-voltage protection function is to prevent battery from discharging."

Since the IROAD OBD-II power cable is providing 12-volt power to the dash camera, the dash camera can certainly use its own low voltage cutoff logic to power down the dash camera based on the settings in the dash camera. If the dash camera turns itself off due to its own low voltage cutoff feature, the IROAD OBD-II power cable circuitry continues to consume a small amount of power in the 6 mA range based on my testing. That amount of power consumption is not usually a concern for a healthy vehicle battery.

Amazing! Glad to hear the results.
I knew sending the cable to Robert would pay dividends.
I'm a bit shocked he didn't find it to be out of focus.
Lately everything he's been sent for testing is out focus. lol
-Chuck

I knew sending the cable to Robert would pay dividends.
I'm a bit shocked he didn't find it to be out of focus.
Lately everything he's been sent for testing is out focus. lol
-Chuck
Just my eyes are getting more out of focus the older I get requiring more correction each time I get a pair of new glasses. lol

Excellent.
Thank you very much.

Paging Doctor Ben @safedrivesolutions
If I remember correctly, Ben was holding up a custom modified IROAD OBD2 power cable to be used for other brands he sells like Viofo during our last Zoom meeting.
Hey Ben, can we get some more info on these custom power cables you provide for your customers?
-Chuck
I make them. Using my famous family recipe. We use pizza sauce, pepperoni, bacon, and cheese, lots and lots of cheese

The Iroad JW100 works perfectly with my TW Q1000. I would not recommend the Thinkware OBD power cable that I used initially. With the TW cable, my camera would turn on randomly or even opening a door. This is on an Audi S5.

You say that this cable uses pin 16 for 12v and pin 4 for ground, but when does the ACC comes from ?

To me its magic, but there must be circuitry inside the connector. But it does work. Read this thread where Rcg530 is a cable tester and explains it much better. Read the whole thread. Also depends on the cam you are using it on.

You say that this cable uses pin 16 for 12v and pin 4 for ground, but when does the ACC comes from ?
The IROAD OBD-II power adapter obtains its constant power supply from pin 16 of the OBD-II data link connector. That constant power is sent to the dash camera. Internally, the IROAD OBD-II unit monitors the vehicle's motion and vehicle system voltage to know when to turn on/off the power to the accessory power wire going to the dash camera.

Just an addendum. After over a month of ownership using the Iroad cable, it sometimes will turn on the camera just by opening a door leaving the car off. Now this is "sometimes." Just today, I went into my car to get something and closed the door. Car hasn't been driven for a day. I get a notification that its in "Driving status" and few minutes later its in "Parking mode." I have a battery monitor connected to my battery and get a reading via phone app. Voltage was 12.5. So today, there must have been some spike to cause the cam to turn on when opening the door. Then sometimes when I do open a door, cam stays shut off. Still much better vs using the Thinkware obd cable, where the camera would turn on for no reason and 100% just opening a door. When I see my battery at 80% capacity (via app), I would attach a battery charger to charge up the battery. Sometimes this would also fool the Iroad cable to turn on the cam.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rcg530 IROAD 3
C IROAD 1
F IROAD 0
J IROAD 0
J IROAD 2
Back