Is it worth going to 4K vs 2K resolution? Does 4K give big advantage in reading plate numbers?

Everything's relative. Modern cheap 4k sensors like IMX415 have only ~30% worse low-light performance comparing to 4 times larger pixel 1080p models like good old IMX323 or more recent 2K sensors like IMX335. I mean an IMX415 cam with an f/1.0 lens will be brighter with 1EV+ less motion blur than IMX323/335+f/1.8.

I run 4k and 2k side by side. Best of both worlds... ;)

I don't think I am able to run more than one dashcam up front, I find one blocks the other, if you move them too far apart the lens of one ends up not being swept area of the windscreen wiper, like here:

;)

I don't think I am able to run more than one dashcam up front, I find one blocks the other, if you move them too far apart the lens of one ends up not being swept area of the windscreen wiper, like here:

;)

I always knew that can did it, but I have 2 there so it was always going to be a bit problematic. Today I have added a rain repellent to see if it helps outside the sweep of the arc .

Under normal conditions I wouldn't have a cam so far over .

On youtube i do watch stuff in 4K, even if my monitor are just 1080p.
Also would like tu upgrade to a 1440p monitor, but that is not a option at the moment.
I'd say you are just wasting bandwidth and quadrupling traffic for no benefit whatsoever. If you stream content at a resolution higher than your monitor can physically display, all that extra data is simply discarded or downsampled. Your image streaming at 4K won't look any better than same image at 1080p.

You cannot really see 4K quality on a screen that physically cannot display 4K quality.

I know, it is somewhat of a problem, TBH i really want to go to a 4K monitor, but then if someone would make a game i would like to play ( highly unlikely as poop seem to be trending now ) then my GFX card can not manage its part, at least not without lowering in game GFX settings a lot, and then 4K are sort off not valid again.
Though when i gamed competitive in the 00s i did also lower my in game GFX settings to increase my FPS so it matched the Hz of my CRT monitor.

Back