Is the CPL (Polarizing Filter) Needed?

Thanks, if I get a cover, it will be the suede because is recommended above by the links to sellers.

Thanks, if I get a cover, it will be the suede because is recommended above by the links to sellers.

Try to find one that looks as smooth and flat in the photos as possible and make sure it's not the kind with holes in it.

I have only replace a exhaust system once ( in 1993 on my 1986 Opel ) though by the time i sold it ( 1998 ) it was on the way out again as the stainless Remus exhaust had rusted thru.

I was also expecting remarks on my current car when it was inspected a few months ago, but nothing.

I have only replace a exhaust system once ( in 1993 on my 1986 Opel ) though by the time i sold it ( 1998 ) it was on the way out again as the stainless Remus exhaust had rusted thru.

I was also expecting remarks on my current car when it was inspected a few months ago, but nothing.
I don't think I've ever replaced one, but we don't get snow which I'm guessing has something to do with lifespan of the exhaust system for Dashmellow since it snows heavily where he lives

I don't think I've ever replaced one, but we don't get snow which I'm guessing has something to do with lifespan of the exhaust system for Dashmellow since it snows heavily where he lives
Cool weather and short journeys kills them, it allows water to condense inside the pipes and then not evaporate again, the pools of water inside the warm pipes then cause them to rust through. If it is properly cold then they rust slower, and once the water freezes they stop rusting. They almost always rust from the inside out.

Cool weather and short journeys kills them, it allows water to condense inside the pipes and then not evaporate again, the pools of water inside the warm pipes then cause them to rust through. If it is properly cold then they rust slower, and once the water freezes they stop rusting. They almost always rust from the inside out.
aware of what short trips does to them, was thinking of whatever it is they spray on the roads where it snows, have seen photos of the underbody of vehicles from places where it snows and rust is common, we don't get that here so not something we need to deal with, if the exhaust is mild steel they won't last either, every car I've had for the last 20+ years has had stainless steel exhaust systems, they seem to last a lot longer to begin with

O yes the damn salt they put on the roads in winter :mad: and we even pay ( thru taxes ) for our cars to get vandalized that way.
Thankfully winters where that is needed seem to bypass Denmark now, but in the old days :rolleyes:

aware of what short trips does to them, was thinking of whatever it is they spray on the roads where it snows,
That doesn't seem to have much effect on the exhaust because even on a short journey it gets warm enough to dry on the outside, it is the inside that always rusts. Stainless exhausts solve the problem, but I think most of our cars still come with mild steel because that keeps the dealers in business!

My 29 year old van still has all the original exhaust system intact, but there may be a baffle in the muffler not working as it's a little louder than I think it should be. My last van also had all the original exhaust system at 32 years old but the muffler was beginning to rust out when I got rid of it. I put duals on the one before that because I had the stuff on hand to do it :)

Even stainless steel systems can corrode. Some of the particulates created by burning unleaded gasoline (petrol) react with water vapor and become slightly acidic ;) Short drives can cause problems based on the exhaust system layout. In some cars the muffler is located at the very back and it takes quite awhile for it to get warm enough to evaporate pooled condensate water. Often there's a small drain hole in the muffler meant to clear water but it can get plugged up, and as often as not rust-out will begin at that hole.

Not many people are like me with the desire and ability and the time on hand to keep an old vehicle on the road for as long as you can. Value-wise my old 'bus' isn't much at all, but to me it has a great value for I know these van's from bumper to bumper and I can fix almost everything on them myself. In all honesty if someone offered to trade a brand new van for mine, I'd take it. And I'd drive the thing for a year or so, then I'd find another old 'bus' like mine, sell the new one, fix up the old one, pocket well over $10K in the profits I ended up with, and then drive the "new old van" for the next 20 years on the new exhaust system that would be in it :cool:

But I could use some of your advice: This being a "CPL" thread, where do I mount one on my muffler to best eliminate sound reflections from the roadway? :ROFLMAO:

Phil

If it is properly cold then they rust slower, and once the water freezes they stop rusting.

Once the frozen water in the exhaust system melts, everything starts rusting again. It's not as if sub freezing temps are a constant until spring arrives. There are periodic thaws, and people do often park in garages. Atmospheric conditions also cause frost to form (and melt) both inside and outside of an exhaust system even when not driving one's vehicle. After all these years living where I do I am still amazed at how harsh the elements can be around here and how much everything is affected.

That doesn't seem to have much effect on the exhaust because even on a short journey it gets warm enough to dry on the outside, it is the inside that always rusts. Stainless exhausts solve the problem, but I think most of our cars still come with mild steel because that keeps the dealers in business!

Wrong again! In locations where there is a lot of snow and ice, chloride is sprayed or infused in sand and often applied to the pavement during icy conditions. Exhaust systems do indeed rust from the outside and this is often observed as flaking rust on the muffler. Salt is a serious damaging factor to both exhaust systems along with vehicle bodies and chassis in harsh winter climates. Additionally, even during the cold of winter in cold northern climates roads are often quite wet for various reasons, either weather related or ice and snow melting in the warm sun on black tarmac. One often observes this on sunny days following a major snow or ice storm. These wet road conditions contain chlorides that were previously applied when the melted ice was frozen. For this reason many of us have Fluid Film (lanolin) applied to the undercarriages of our vehicles once a year or so. (not the exhaust systems, of course)

While exhaust systems and mufflers do indeed rust through from the inside, in harsh winter climates where snow and ice is prevalent and chlorides are applied to icy road surfaces, mufflers also rust through from the outside thus expediting their demise.

Always amusing Nigel how you so often make blanket, definitive pronouncements about how "all" things work in other parts of the planet dictated by your "know-it-all" view of the world from your tiny provincial bubble in the UK. :rolleyes:

Back