Is the mini-0803 2.5 times better than the G1W-H?

ExMet

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB-100HD
I've taken the members' advice and abandoned the idea of installing a super-cheap dashcam on my wife's car.
So now I'm going to either get the G1W-H (or the G1W-C if you guys suggest it over the G1W-H) for$40 USD or the mini-0803 for 2.5 times the price ($94 USD). I understand that the mini-0803 is a better camera, but is it 2.5 times better?
In 6 months or a year, I won't remember the difference between $40 and $94 but I will always remember a poor product.

Thanks.

When I was working, one of the salesmen promised a customer that we could match the colour of his existing stock to within 10%. None of the Chemists or Technologist knew how to calculate 10% of a colour.
What is your criteria for calculating how one camera is 250% better than another?

Frank

My criteria for how a camera is 250% better than another is that when experiencing one camera (ease of use/setup, image quality, durability/reliability) you would say to yourself:
"I would gladly pay 2-3 times as much as I paid (or add X amount) in order to have the experience of the other camera".
So someone who is very familiar with both cameras can internally summarize his/her experience and then say: "The G1W-H is absolutely worth $40USD and while the mini-0803 is better, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the added quality".

You could easily say that the G1W-H is better than the G1W but not worth double the price. It's a little harder to say that between the G1W-H and the mini-0803, which is why I've started a thread asking for advice.

It's all personal preference, what something is worth to one person is not the same as what it is worth to another. My first cam was a Mobius, I now have a Mini 0803. There's nothing wrong with the Mobius but I bought the mini 0803 because I wanted the GPS function. To me it was worth spending the money to get it. Others don't want a GPS function so it would not be worth it to them.
We are all different in what we think is value for money.

Frank

Thanks. I'm well aware of that. I was hoping for some personal opinions.

I guess not many people have owned both so not many people can give a decent comparison and you do need several comparisons since as Frank has pointed out, different people have different likes and requirements.

Given the prices, I'm not sure it matters how many % better one is anyway, maybe the question should be if the 0803 is worth the extra cost of a half tank of fuel or not.

I can say that I find my 0803 very decent for what it cost me and it does do what I want it to do. I can't comment on the G1W-H.

My criteria for how a camera is 250% better than another is that when experiencing one camera (ease of use/setup, image quality, durability/reliability) you would say to yourself:
"I would gladly pay 2-3 times as much as I paid (or add X amount) in order to have the experience of the other camera".
So someone who is very familiar with both cameras can internally summarize his/her experience and then say: "The G1W-H is absolutely worth $40USD and while the mini-0803 is better, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the added quality".

You could easily say that the G1W-H is better than the G1W but not worth double the price. It's a little harder to say that between the G1W-H and the mini-0803, which is why I've started a thread asking for advice.

what makes the G1WH better than the G1W exactly?

what makes the G1WH better than the G1W exactly?
Hell if I know. I went ahead and just bought the G1W-H.
Wider FOV (G1W has 120 H has 140)
All black casing
Safer to update (I think all H models can be updated with new or different firmware. Regular G1W some can and some cant.)

I bought the G1W-H from Gearbest so unless you're going to tell me that I made the right decision, don't say anything.

I'm sure it'll be great ExMet. I just ordered one now. a G1W-H...as I already have a G1W and I figured I'd like to have one in my GF car too.

I'm sure it'll be great ExMet. I just ordered one now. a G1W-H...as I already have a G1W and I figured I'd like to have one in my GF car too.
There you go. This is the type of response I'm looking for (now that the purchase has already been made).

I bought the G1W-H from Gearbest so unless you're going to tell me that I made the right decision, don't say anything.
For the price you made the right decision. When it comes to the best camera you can get at the best price possible the G1W is it.

I have the G1W and it's freaking amazing! I can't believe how good actually for $50.00 Canadian. Seriously blown away. You'll LOVE it!!!

I just looked at the comparison tool to get some numbers to compare with your "2.5 times better", the main differences it gives are:

Mini 0803 / G1W

Price
$100 / $52 (+92%)

Max Bitrate (Mbps)
21 / 12 (+75%)

Screen
1.5" / 2.7" (-80%)

Size (mm)
75 x 47 x 35 / 113 x 46 x 32 (-35%)

GPS
Optional / No

Diagonal Viewing Angle
135° / 120° (+12.5%)

Based purely on the bitrate, the Mini 0803 images should have 75% more detail in them, it's not the 2.5 times requested but it could make a big difference if you need to read a plate. For me the size was also important, the 0803 does fit completely out of sight behind the rear view mirror. And then there is the GPS which I find very useful, it lets me very quickly find a location within the video and it normally allows me to work out a reasonably accurate speed of other vehicles which while it can't be considered as proof could be extremely useful. I do find the screen a bit small, but it's nearly always turned off anyway. I also find that I quite often look at things right on the edge of the view, that is where cars are when they are closest to the camera and thus easiest to read the plates/see the driver etc. so the extra viewing angle is probably a positive.

Conclusion: No, not 2.5 times better but still well worth the extra cost of a half tank of fuel, and the GPS may prove to be worth far more than that. (Especially if you are putting it in someone else's car!)

Last edited:
Nigel, that is a fantastic summary. Thank you. Had I read it before purchasing the G1W-H, this may have swayed me towards the min-0803.
I'll see how I like the G1W-H. If I decide I need a better camera, I'll install it in my parents' car and buy a better one.
I'm also in the market for a bike camera. I've installed my own system, using a smartphone but it's not ideal. I may make a post about it.

We at BlackBoxed.ca think the Mini 0803 is at least 2.5 times better, but maybe that's because we sell them. Haha.

Although, aside from the benefits Nigel has listed, the Mini 0803 does have a lower profile adhesive mount to keep the dash cam discreet and also is easier to connect/disconnect the dash cam when needed since the power cable is directly plugged into the mount.

Adhesive mounts are almost always better than suction cup mounts because you can stick them anywhere on your windshield, do not fall off easily, and are much smaller.

If you are looking for another dash cam down the road, the Mini 0803 is definitely a good choice.

Kelvin

Last edited:
Back