is the super cap vital for dash cam use?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
I own a blackvue dr550gw-2ch already but want to get the mobius as an action cam and a back up dash cam, posibbly a hidden one.

My issue is if i want to use it portably with a battery i dont want to have to swap them whenever i need to, but at the same time would using a battery in it daily as a dash cam kill the battery life pretty quickly?

I own a blackvue dr550gw-2ch already but want to get the mobius as an action cam and a back up dash cam, posibbly a hidden one.

My issue is if i want to use it portably with a battery i dont want to have to swap them whenever i need to, but at the same time would using a battery in it daily as a dash cam kill the battery life pretty quickly?

Battery life depends on how often and how long u use it. Sooner or later it will die. Worse case sc is that one day it die exactly when you need vital recording ( Murphy law ).

Best 4u to buy one Mobius with supercap, other with battery and u will have full piece of mind ;)

Last edited:
Batty life depends on how often and how long u use it. Sooner or later it will die. Worse case sc is that one day it die exactly when you need vital recording ( Murphy law ).

Best 4u to buy one Mobius with supercap, other with battery and u will have full piece of mind ;)
Yea i am considering buying two haha. But then again i already have the blackvue. I still am thinking of setting up a trap to catch thieves in my work parking lot, but would not risk leaving my blackvue to record since its big and hard to hide, and expensive.

Btw i like your youtube channel niko i subscribed last week. What is your favorite dash cam?

besides using the mobius as an action cam i want to use it on me to film customer interactions. ive had customers who have lied to my bosses to try to get me fired just because they are terrible people and want free food. so many customers lie about delivery drivers its sickening. its not a daily thing but its not uncommon in worse towns. although i am still trying to think about how i could use the lens extender to have most of it hidden and to make the lens not obvious. but this all might be pointless since its likely not legal to secretly film someone at their front door step on their property hahaha. need to look into that.

My battery has died after 3 weeks use as dash cam

Battery life depends on how often and how long u use it. Sooner or later it will die. Worse case sc is that one day it die exactly when you need vital recording ( Murphy law ).

I think the worst case scenario would be where the cam falls off at the first impact, the cable becomes loose and stops recording the rest.

I run my Mobius on battery and have no plans to switch it. I like the option of using it outside the car and now with Isoprop's announcement of a two hour battery, I will definitely upgrade when the time comes. Two hour parking mode with out an extra USB battery sounds great. I have had my battery about a year so far, lived in a hot climate most of that time and haven't had any issues. Buy a backup battery if you're worried, it's simple to replace.

I run my Mobius on battery and have no plans to switch it. I like the option of using it outside the car and now with Isoprop's announcement of a two hour battery, I will definitely upgrade when the time comes. Two hour parking mode with out an extra USB battery sounds great. I have had my battery about a year so far, lived in a hot climate most of that time and haven't had any issues. Buy a backup battery if you're worried, it's simple to replace.

Totally agree...batteries are so cheap ...should one go splat pop in another. Plus no fannying around with date and time not been kept with battery as opposed to capacitor.

Totally agree...batteries are so cheap ...should one go splat pop in another. Plus no fannying around with date and time not been kept with battery as opposed to capacitor.

Many DashCams require soldering skills to replace a battery, plus patience & tools to prise the case open. Doubtless quite a few DashCams get thrown away when the battery fails after a year or so, as their owners have no interest in DIY.

Mobius is unlike most DashCams in that replacing its battery is a 5 minute job, needing just a screwdriver. It makes sense to replace its battery with the much more durable, reliable & temperature-tolerant capacitor, especially as it can be bought for only $6.

As for date / time, neither of my capacitor-equipped Mobius cams have ever missed a beat.

All high-end DashCams are equipped with capacitors, not batteries, for good reason. Say no to LiPo.

I'm surprised that the Mobius is NOT sold with a model with a super capacitor already installed. I understand the battery for the RC People, but having a super capacitor dash cam version makes sense.

To answer the OP's main question, Yes
The Super Cap is Vital to the survival of Man Kind :)
Those exploding batteries will the downfall of civilisation as we know it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the Mobius is NOT sold with a model with a super capacitor already installed. I understand the battery for the RC People, but having a super capacitor dash cam version makes sense.
My thoughts precisely. Eletoponline365 & other sellers should offer a Mobius DashCam kit including pre-installed capacitor, 3 metre power cable, accessory socket adapter, mount & quick installation sheet (IKEA-style diagrams).

I agree! For the cost of a typical decent quality mid-range dash cam with a screen you can own two Mobius cameras, one with a battery and one with a super-capacitor. While you're at it you could have one with the narrower FOV "A" lens and the other with the wider FOV "B" lens. :)

To answer the OP's main question, Yes
The Super Cap is Vital to the survival of Man Kind :)
Those exploding batteries are will the downfall of civilisation as we know it.
Yes, it has been well proven that due to the passengers taking an average of 700 of the things on an average passenger aircraft flight, a large number of aircraft blow up mid flight and fall from the sky :(

Well at least the 700 figure is fairly accurate even if the rest isn't! If they weren't safe then you wouldn't be allowed to take them on board.

Back