Is there a better quality Lithium Polymer battery ?

Vinnny

Reaction score
Country
United States
The internal battery in my Akaso dash cam only last about a year before it starts to swell and eventually fails which causes corrupt videos when turning off the car.
I have changed it a hand full of times with a cheap Amazon/Chinese battery that fits my unit for about $8. Is there a better quality internal battery that I can buy that would give me more than 1 year or is that just reality because of the sun/heat that this happens ? I'm sure living in South Florida with the car sitting outside all day doesn't help either LOL. Yes, I could buy another dash cam that has a cap instead of a battery, but checking this first.

Basically, No. All LIPO batteries have basically the same construction, and almost all lithium batteries have much the same temperature limits, and dashcams get significantly hotter than any of them like.

That is why decent dashcams use supercapacitors instead.

Yea
Basically, No. All LIPO batteries have basically the same construction, and almost all lithium batteries have much the same temperature limits, and dashcams get significantly hotter than any of them like.

That is why decent dashcams use supercapacitors instead.

Yeah, that's what I was assuming, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
The one thing I like about the one I have is the lens can be moved left and right as well as up and down. The dash cam is currently mounted on the drivers side (because of other electronics and that window blackout), so I have to aim the lens more to the right to get a balanced shot. I have looked on Amazon for one that has that feature that's not too expensive, but no luck so far..

akaso.jpg

The one thing I like about the one I have is the lens can be moved left and right as well as up and down.
There have been a few dashcams with that feature in the past, but most don't have it today because it is not needed. With 2K and 4K dashcams, the field of view is wide enough that you don't notice if it is not facing perfectly straight. With FHD resolution, if it is to read license plates easily, then the field of view needs to be narrower, and then horizontal adjustment does become desirable. If you have a window that i particularly curved then it is always possible to put a wedge under a sticky mount to straighten it up, but I don't hear of people actually doing so.

There have been a few dashcams with that feature in the past, but most don't have it today because it is not needed. With 2K and 4K dashcams, the field of view is wide enough that you don't notice if it is not facing perfectly straight. With FHD resolution, if it is to read license plates easily, then the field of view needs to be narrower, and then horizontal adjustment does become desirable. If you have a window that i particularly curved then it is always possible to put a wedge under a sticky mount to straighten it up, but I don't hear of people actually doing so.
Thanks for the info. I may try one from Amazon, since returns are so easy (y)

Back