iso trouble ?

daoust

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have 2 gitup git2 cam and I made a test with the new firmware.
iso 50 resolution 1440p 16x9 30fps
iso 400
iso 1600

they all look the same , (grainy)
the test was made indoor in low . The test should have show a darker video on the iso50 but the result was the same as the iso 400 , and iso 1600 no difference are almost none.

also who know how we can change the shutter speed for the video mode? it look to low ( it look like 360deg instead or 180deg)

For video you can not change shutter speed, the camera does that, also the ISO sensitivity during video is also automatic. The manual shutter and ISO work only for taking pictures.

Techtronic9000 is correct in the shutter speed ONLY for still image taking (camera) but I think ISO settings DO work with video. If they do not then that should be removed from the video settings and left in the camera still shot settings.

The iso option is in the video menu, but it dont work are not enought difference.

The shutter speed sould be a must have. When I revord my dog and is tail go from left to rigth the camera over expose( to long shutter speed and I see multiples tails. We should have the choise to play with it . Must have for next firmware with iso fix

Last night I tried the following setting son my way home (dark out)

ISO 1600
EV -2
Resolution 1080P 30FPS

All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW the camera video looks so good for a night shot. A couple of hot pixels but who cares... More experimenting to come.

can you try with a different iso , like 50, 400 , 800 ? I have not seen any difference in a ligth room

ISO set to 50 or 400 causes the image to be grainy in low light.

ok , maybe on the gitup , but it don t seem that way on my olympus om-d micro four thirs camera. on a lower Iso , the picture is more dark if you don t have enougth ligth , not grainy ,more you go up in the iso , more it will be grainy as the sensor become more sensitive to ligth and that why it is more grainy . on my gitup , the picture is the same at 50 iso and 400 iso . to much grainy and I belive it should be less grainy , but way more dark..

ok , maybe on the gitup , but it don t seem that way on my olympus om-d micro four thirs camera. on a lower Iso , the picture is more dark if you don t have enougth ligth , not grainy ,more you go up in the iso , more it will be grainy as the sensor become more sensitive to ligth and that why it is more grainy . on my gitup , the picture is the same at 50 iso and 400 iso . to much grainy and I belive it should be less grainy , but way more dark..
are you on the latest 1.3 firmware? they fixed some ISO issues in it, which you might want to try out.

also comparing this to a point and shoot camera or any other camera for that matter - doesn't work. different cameras use all sorts of different image sensors, with different resolutions, physical dimensions, and light sensitivity levels. your olympus may be better at low light because it uses a larger sensor. in a little action camera like this, there's no room for a large image sensor, so low light sensitivity suffers.

are you on the latest 1.3 firmware? they fixed some ISO issues in it, which you might want to try out.

also comparing this to a point and shoot camera or any other camera for that matter - doesn't work. different cameras use all sorts of different image sensors, with different resolutions, physical dimensions, and light sensitivity levels. your olympus may be better at low light because it uses a larger sensor. in a little action camera like this, there's no room for a large image sensor, so low light sensitivity suffers.
The OM-D is no more a "point and shoot" than the Git2 is!

I believe the reason that ISO50 was noisy on photos was the bug that was fixed in firmware 1.3, it should be the least noisy as daoust suggests.

I just take the time to read my first post , and I clearly say that my 2 gitup git 2 are on the last firmware but I forgot to say they are really on the 1.3 update. So yes they are on the 1.3

In no way I try to do a shoutout against my om-d that have 9 times the sensor size than the gitup or even a gopro!!! I just report that the iso on the om-d cleary show darker in the lower ISO and more ligth sensitive on the Higher ISO.

ISO = international standart organisation

So it should always be more dark in the lower ISO "point and shoot" or not

The grainy look Drifter see in the lower ISO should be more white pixel than what is call grainy .

My original post was about the probleme that I see about lower ISO be the same than higher ISO on the 1440p 30fps 16x9 mode . That is the probleme that I report and was looking if I m the only one that have this probleme???

Also by the same time , I was requesting about the manual shutter speed for video modes, it seem that there is none so it should be a good option to add this in the new firmware. This can improve the video quality alot...

So it should always be more dark in the lower ISO "point and shoot" or not
If you have not set manual shutter speed then I would expect that lower ISO would result in a longer exposure and the image would still be the same brightness but with more motion blur. If you have set manual shutter speed then yes, lower ISO should give a darker image. There is no iris so aperture can not be adjusted.

My original post was about the probleme that I see about lower ISO be the same than higher ISO on the 1440p 30fps 16x9 mode . That is the probleme that I report and was looking if I m the only one that have this probleme???

Also by the same time , I was requesting about the manual shutter speed for video modes, it seem that there is none so it should be a good option to add this in the new firmware. This can improve the video quality alot...
I don't think the ISO setting works for video in any conditions.
It does work for photos, there was a bug with ISO 50 but it was fixed in V1.3.

I'm not sure how often the manual ISO and shutter settings are useful for video? The camera has to keep shutter speed faster than the frame rate so valid shutter speeds are normally limited and to get correct exposure the valid ISO values will also be limited. If somebody knows why they want manual settings for video then maybe they could explain, valid reasons could result in it being fixed faster...

as long as the shutter speed is at least twice as fast as the frame rate , maybe 95% of my vidéo will be good , but when filming my dog , I realize that a faster shutter speed will help as he more to fast for the exposure time , and some video get blurry. another frame rate can help , but it is not a option at 1440p as we only have 30fps.In low ligth situation , you can t put a high fps so this is another time that a faster shutter speed should improve if you film fast motion. There may be other exemple but this is the ones I have so far

I just made some other test with my ( two )gitup git2 cam at the 2160p 24fps , and they both do the same . the ISO was set at 50 and after at 1600 and both video are identical.

1 probleme that I found and I would like all of you try this. When it is plug on the hdmi cable and you wath it on your tv in 2160p video . the git2 don t want to record at all , if you unplug the hdmi , there is no more probleme after. I have done this test on my two git 2 and both perform the same on that resolution.

you can see the video have two different ISO 50 for the first 4sec and 1400 for the last 5sec and the result is the same

@Nigel @gitup did you try to plug the hdmi cable and try to record in 2160p resolution??? My 2 gitup git2 cam fail at recording at this resolution when the hdmi cable is plug , but work well when in another resolution. Also , I have post a video of the Iso trouble , you can see that there is no difference at all.

@Nigel @gitup did you try to plug the hdmi cable and try to record in 2160p resolution??? My 2 gitup git2 cam fail at recording at this resolution when the hdmi cable is plug , but work well when in another resolution. Also , I have post a video of the Iso trouble , you can see that there is no difference at all.
The ISO problem is known about and there will be some sort of fix in the next firmware.

I haven't tried the HDMI issue, I don't normally use HDMI and don't often use 2160... but your posts have been read...

Just the cable is in or are you connected to a monitor at the time?

We confirmed it does not support recording on 2160P resolution while HDMI output, no problem for other resolutions.
Regarding the ISO for video, the difference is not obvious for different options.
But if set specific shutter speed for video, change ISO will make obvious difference, we are still doing some research on this.

I don t belive I will need to record any video will the hdmi cable is plug in , I just report as I find it strange that it will work in the other resolution. Still , there must be some time where it is usefull to have the hdmi plug from the cam to the monitor to record.

Back