Issues with my new X2

operator207

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I have read through the X2 forums but cannot find my issue, though it could be for lack of search criteria. :)

My X2 was bought last week on Amazon from Pier28. I have 2 64gb Samsung Pro cards in it (not the EVO line). It initially was very buggy, it would lock up and I would have to pull the power to get it to work again.
The first day I drove with the cam, the front locked up. If I was watching the screen for Front, it was a static picture. If I got it to cycle to the rear (touchscreen not very responsive) it would show what the rear cam was recording. Pulled the power, let it sit for a minute or two, and plugged it back in. It showed what the front camera was seeing, and then locked to a static picture again. Rear as before was showing what it should be recording. After I got home, I discovered it was not recording. It had maybe the first 10 minutes of recording for the hour I drove.
I checked the firmware. It was 1.01.08. I upgraded to what I have read is the current stable firmware of 1.01.09. here In that process I reformatted the 2 SD cards to exFat to make sure it was not a formatting issue. It seemed to be less buggy, the interface was working much better. the touchscreen was responsive. I drove in this morning, and the screen would not light up when I touched it after parking (car still running). I pulled the power again, had it come up, and checked what it had recorded. It only recorded around 4 minutes total from when I was leaving the house.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Should I flash the firmware again? Got to a higher firmware? Did I get a bad one? Is there an issue with the Samsung Pro cards I am using?

Any help would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pier28 will follow up with you, they're on the west coast so it might be a few hours from now but they'll follow up
Cool, good to know! Other than 2ch, the main reason I bought this unit and from Pier28 was the amount of posting they do here.

I tried posting this earlier, but the site was down.

First day driving the car this camera is in. Sorry for the delay, had to travel out of state for a week.

I have it set to drive only, no motion sensor, no parking mode. It should shut off when I turn off the car. It does not. It stays running, if the screen is on when I turn off the car, the screen will not allow me to get into settings. It will bring up the 4 buttons, and if I click the gear it will light up like I clicked it, but will not allow me access. I can see that being normal behavior, so I am not worried about that. It is not in parking mode. (no icon at top left).
If the screen is blank when I turn off the car, the screen will not come on, but I believe it is still running as I will come back in a few hours and the unit is hot like it is running. I have to power cycle it (pull plug wait 10 seconds, plug it back in) for it to work again. that is after trying to get it to come back by starting the car.

This is over 5-6 stops and starts with 10-20 minutes of driving in between today alone.

I set it up on my last stop before home to use 12.4, no motion, g-sensor to medium, and shut off the car. I came back a couple hours later to go home. It came out of park mode, and seemed to work, but after getting 1/2 way home I checked the reverse camera, it was locked on a picture of my parking garage. power cycled it and it came back to normal.

It knows parking mode, I set it to parking mode (as stated above) and when I shut off the car, it went into parking mode (icon at top left). Also with the previous firmware it would occasionally shut down when I turned off the car. I have yet to see it actually shut down and come back up on its own when I turn the car on.

It seems to have issues with shutting down. It gets stuck in some sort of limbo, and never recovers until I power cycle it.
Any suggestions to try with it now? I am open to trying different firmware or flashing the same firmware again.

Can you try with 32Gb class 10 memory cards if you have them ?

I have 2 32gb sd cards, one is a sandisk ultra HC1 (red and grey) the other is a samsung HC (black with blue samsung on it)

I am not sure if either are class 10 though. I am posting what i have so maybe someone can confirm if they are or not.
Going of pictures in a google search they appear to be. I will try them regardless. Maybe the Samsung pro's I have are not something that behaves in this camera.

The two 32gb SD cards are installed, I had to format them to exfat in a PC before they would be recognized (they were fat32). Formatted them again in the camera to make sure.

I checked the two 64gb SD cards I pulled from the camera, the rear stopped recording on my second to last drive. The last full sized file on that trip is corrupted. It did not record the 1.5 hour trip home. It had 4 small clips that the timestamp corresponds to when I power cycled the camera.
The front is the same, it did not record my trip home. The last full sized file is corrupted as well. It said it was recording on the display though. (top center turned red, and it started counting)

Let's see what the 32gb sticks do. I really hope this is just incompatibility with the SD cards I have and not a bad camera.

I will report back tomorrow my findings.

The drive in this morning seemed fine. It shut off when I turned off the car to get gas on the way in, and came back up when I left the gas station.
I am at work now, I had the screen on showing the rear camera when I shut off the car, it blanked the screen. Hopefully it shut off, I did not get the splash screen when shutting off like I did at the gas station. That could be due to me having the screen showing a camera when I shut off the car.

I didn't want to mess with it until after work when I will have a few minutes to pull the cards and check what it has recorded. I'll report back when I get home tonight if it recorded or locked up again.

Right now it is set to Drive only with the G-Sensors and motion turned off. It was setup that way last night when I installed the 32gb SD Cards.

Interesting because a few weeks ago the X2 was selling with 64gb cards and now with 32.

I'm yet to buy a dash cam but I'm close and the X2 is still on top of my list.

Interesting because a few weeks ago the X2 was selling with 64gb cards and now with 32.

I'm yet to buy a dash cam but I'm close and the X2 is still on top of my list.

The video I have gotten off the SD Cards is great compared to my old Blackvue DR500GW.

I hear that Lexar are the SD Cards to get for this DashCam, anyone have an opinion on them? I could pick up a couple of these if it ends up being my existing 64gb cards are the problem.
Lexar 64GB Class 10 Cards
I don't want to go buy cards just to buy cards though.

Pier28's X2 link has been down all day for me.

I'm assuming your talking about the 64gb cards that came with the kit ?

Yeah, don't buy anything until we hear what's up with these cards.

EDIT ----- What is up with DCT sometimes...... I get a '500 internal server error'

Pier28's X2 link has been down all day for me.

Yeah, don't buy anything until we hear what's up with these cards.

EDIT ----- What is up with DCT sometimes...... I get a '500 internal server error'

Not sure, My post yesterday, I wrote it out in the editor on the webpage, and when I went to post it, it was down. I copied it to an email and emailed it home. By the time I got home the site was working again. Usually that is an application error on the server side, possibly DataBase issues or the service the site is running on (IIS, Apache, Tomcat, etc) is bouncing. My issue yesterday with the site, was I could not get to it at all.

As for the cards, ya, I am not going to buy anything unless someone here in the know, can tell me it is the cards with some certainty. Or the cards I have it it currently prove to work fine.

Sorry, forgot to respond to this part of your post.
No, my 64gb cards are Samsung Pro cards (link is to a review of the 32gb version of the card), they "should" be fast enough for the camera, but they were pretty inexpensive so maybe they have the specs but real world is crappy. Or maybe the 32gb version is fine, but the 64gb version is crappy.

So the drive home, everything seems to have worked correctly. Everything was recorded correctly, it did not lockup. I think (hope) this is just bad or incompatible SD Cards.

Now the next question is this. What SD Cards are good? I linked to some Lexar ones I have heard are good, Should I get those? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The 52GB cards will do ~2.5 days worth of recording for my driving. I would like to extend that and also run them for parking as an option in certain instances.

I plan on testing a few more times, but this is the first day of driving that I didn't have any issues. I am pretty excited right now. :)

We don't have many customers using Samsung cards, so I'm glad you have other brands/sizes to test to confirm things are stable with the right combination. Also, 32GB will be natively formatted FAT32 in the camera. 64GB and up will be formated exFAT. I rarely have anyone report issues with 32GB cards.

Back