ITB-100HD stamp "miles per hour" in videos (selling my work)

Re: ITB-100HD stamp "miles per hour" in videos (selling my w

Just tested out the patch, works great. Definitely worth the $8!

Hi,

I want to buy but you say you don't ship to UK... which is fine. I don't need shipping. ebay is daft sometimes.

Can you PM me with paypal details and I'll get payment sent over. $8 is a no brainer!

I also live in the UK and ebay won't let me buy it because of the shipping settings. I have PMed you when you get a chance to get back to me.

Thanks

Michael

Hello Yowza,

Question: Can you modify the audio/video bitrate for the iTronics ITB-100HD ? It's currently variable, at about 5,5-6 Mbps for video, 64kbps for audio. Since you already handled parts of the firmware, I presume you have the necessary skills to go one step further.

If you can, let me/us know. Include a pricetag please.

I just did a similar hack. http://yakhack.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/194/

I'd be concerned with editing the bitrate. It might result in overheating or some other unknown issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Yak,

Other folks are running Blackvues which are well known for almost always overheating with factory shipped settings, with success.

If iTronics would pose a problem, due to increased processor usage, it would be only in the warmest summer days. I can switch to factory firmware then.

What would you want to change it to?

YowzaGrimace said:
Thank you for the kind words and success stories. It makes it worth it.

Is this the same for the SP?

yakpimp said:
He said in a previous post that want more bitrate for encoding. Actual is about 6000kbps. We think that if we will have about 7500-8000kbps the video quality will be better.
Compared to BlackVue for example, the ITB have video quality much better even at 6mbps, so we don't really need that 12mpbs which was used in the BlackVue custom firmware. Over some bitrate value will be not quality improvement, but just wasted space and this is the reason for ITB we don't need to go to high with the bitrate and I hope the 8mps will be the best quality/bitrate/heat/consume (in this order) value.

enjoy,
Mtz

yakpimp said:

I would want to test 8 Mbps and 10 Mbps. It would be a quality test that everyone here can chip in. We can settle on the best one after.

ITB-100HD can film about 12 Hours with the current bitrate. At 10 Mbps it would be able to do about 7 hours which is more than enough even for long trips.

But even with 8 Mbps, that would surely increase the compression artifacts we are seeing (especially on trees and number plates).

I *am* a little concerned about the extra stress to the processor. A jump from 5,7 Mbps (current bitrate) to an 8 or 10Mbps bitrate can put quite the strain on it. Can anyone more knowledgeable discern what processor ITB is using and what's the buffer on it ? How much more can it take ?

Some people are already concerned about the ITB-100HD temperature asking if the camera will survive in a hot summer. You must understand that most of the ITB-100HD from this forum were bought from ebay, most of them under $200 and because of that they don't have official Itronics support so many users don't want to risk too much. Maybe yakpimp can increase the bitrate but this must be made in a smart way.
The chipset is Texas Instruments, DM368.

enjoy,
Mtz

From what I read here :

http://e2e.ti.com/support/dsp/davinci_d ... 63093.aspx
http://e2e.ti.com/support/dsp/davinci_d ... spx#305497

(fairly technical reading)

I understand that the DM368 can go up to at least 12 Mbps bitrate in H.264 (compression is more likely something that the ARM/processor might be responsible for, but hey...), 30 frames per second (yet the ITB-100HD has 24 fps, so it should lessen the load) 1080 progressive resolution, without issues. The previous DM365 could go lower, but we are not talking about the older version.

This is just as an FYI. It also depends on the ARM used as well as other components used. But we should be able to see 8 Mbps without any serious repercussions.

About heat dissipation, if the camera was to have issues in full summer (I bought my first ITB-100HD after my defective BlackVue 400, last summer. ITB functioned without flaws, the whole summer, with >39-40 outside temperature, in the shade and with 72 degrees in-car temperature, measured with an indoor thermometer placed on top of the dash), which I really doubt, we could always drill more/bigger holes in the case (as we did with the mic hole).

I don't know if the ITB-100HD can go to 30fps because Itronics released some time ago the 100HD SP which have 30fps. So I think if this 30fps could be made just by firmware update they could do this for the 100HD and not releasing the new SP camera just because of that FPS.

Regarding the cooling you can think to my idea about hiding the logo by removing it.

Itronics%20logo%20out.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

You could paint over the logo sticker with black nail polish, that way it's still has the clean line look.

My photo wasn't about the logo but the new 2 holes which maybe can cool more the camera.

But do you have any idea if the bitrate can be changed?

enjoy,
Mtz

Yep. Do tell Yak...

Have you tried messing with the bitrate ? :)

Looked at it for a min, need to fix the mph fix first.

Just so you understand why I need this bitrate changed. Itronics, just like BlackVue (I had the 400 version) and FineVu (I had the 300 version) and pretty much all high-end Korean cameras (where manufacturers really believe that low bitrates are the way to go when we want to see details like license plates), has serious problems with artifacting from compression, in very detailed areas. If you're driving on the highway, everything is crisp clear (well, as much as it can be at < 6 Mbps).

But whenever you encounter trees, lots of motion, shadows, cars, many objects and so on, the quality of the image goes down so bad, that it feels as if it's my 2003 phone filming. And my 2003 phone didn't have a camera.

Decent shoot (highway): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRf7W2YFymA
Not decent video (city, lots of compression artifacts, you can barely notice the license plate on the car in front): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP1IROJEaz4

Both videos were taken with the camera mounted on my windshield.

I need this modification badly, to take my iTronics cameras to the level of quality they diserve :)

Tommy said:
Just so you understand why I need this bitrate changed. Itronics, just like BlackVue (I had the 400 version) and FineVu (I had the 300 version) and pretty much all high-end Korean cameras (where manufacturers really believe that low bitrates are the way to go when we want to see details like license plates), has serious problems with artifacting from compression, in very detailed areas. If you're driving on the highway, everything is crisp clear (well, as much as it can be at < 6 Mbps).

But whenever you encounter trees, lots of motion, shadows, cars, many objects and so on, the quality of the image goes down so bad, that it feels as if it's my 2003 phone filming. And my 2003 phone didn't have a camera.

Decent shoot (highway): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRf7W2YFymA
Not decent video (city, lots of compression artifacts, you can barely notice the license plate on the car in front): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP1IROJEaz4

Both videos were taken with the camera mounted on my windshield.

I need this modification badly, to take my iTronics cameras to the level of quality they diserve :)

I think what's more important is the reflection from the dash. I have the same thing that is very distracting no matter how good the video is. Do we really need such a wide angle lens?
Maybe the focus is in the wrong place. Meaning focusing on using different lenses before higher bit rate.

This makes me wonder about the LUKAS which apparently has a threaded lens housing allowing a CPL to be attached. Maybe other filters and lenses can be tried to narrow the field of view. The app for viewing the clips on the LUKAS has the ability to enlarge somewhat. I like that because you can get past some of the unwanted side view. This app can be downloaded and used with any AVI file. I loaded some clips from the DVR-720 and the ITB to try and I like what I saw.

There is no easy solution for eliminating reflections, thus, I gave up. I tried polarising filters (but then again you have to always take off / put the filters, even in daytime. I tried this with my Gopro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGoGjUFydc + http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhrQc4nzKq4).

I also tried dashmats from DashMat.com. A black one and a beige one. Still had problems.

Back