It's not the firmware, it's the camera

RBEmerson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Sjcam SJ7, Sena Prism
I shot about 45 minutes of video this afternoon. Everything looks about as I'd expect. EIS looked OK, no fuzzy bits, head and tail light blooming looked OK. That leaves me with "it's the camera".

At the end of the ride, the camera crashed again. As with the last bit of testing, the camera wouldn't power down. I tried the app, which didn't show a problem, and I tried the power button. I disconnected the external power, which should have powered down the camera. The only fix was to pull the battery.

The one possibility is trying to shut down the camera from the app may leave the firmware in a funny state. I'll fiddle with that for a bit. Maybe something will show up. Maybe not.

since day 1 i had a few of those crashes, only way to get over them are pull the battery.

Interesting... did they happen only with the app, or without it, too?

without, its darn rare i use the app, or any app for that matter.

EIS v2.0, active WiFi connection and placing SJ7 inside waterproof case are definitely too much for our camera. Did somebody get any answer from SJCAM regarding heat issue? Last 2 months more than 5 firmware versions appeared (most of them were betas). Everything has stopped after fw v1.20. Is this the end of SJ7 support?

I dont think so, i read some one saying they made a update for the Sj4000 not long ago, and to my knowledge that have been out for years.

'bet they are preoccupied with Sj8 rollout!

without, its darn rare i use the app, or any app for that matter.
Sitting on my trusty motorcycle, the app makes it easy to align the camera, start and stop video as needed. The "real-time" imagery is frequently choppy and generally ugly, but then there are times when it calms down. NTL, I'm happy to have controls with visual feedback. The "watch" remote is nice for pushing buttons, but there's no obvious feedback that the button-pushing achieved anything.

Dont get me wrong i am glad the wifi and app are there, its just rare i personally have a use for it.

At least my eyes are still good enough to read the screen, but they better not make the icons and letters smaller cuz then i really do need to get my finger out and get glasses for reading.

EIS v2.0, active WiFi connection and placing SJ7 inside waterproof case are definitely too much for our camera. Did somebody get any answer from SJCAM regarding heat issue? Last 2 months more than 5 firmware versions appeared (most of them were betas). Everything has stopped after fw v1.20. Is this the end of SJ7 support?
I haven't gotten a response to my ticket about overheating. I'l pass along whatever news there is.

I said earlier that SJCam needs to "beware of the 500 pound Swiss Army knife". It's hard to say "this is one feature too many" to something taken from the wishlist. OTOH, the menu is amazingly long right now. And the purpose of some of the functions isn't immediately obvious. Auto Low Light is a good example. Does it boost sensor output in low light situations, or slow down the fps? (For that matter, does anyone know what the exposure times are for the various frame rates? Hint: frame rate does not equal exposure time. ) Anyway, IMHO, some housecleaning is needed before adding more features. Probably some features aren't used or needed. Some may be consolidated with another function. And there should be a full expiation of what a function does. "Turns on and off Automatic Low Light" is ...um... about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

In mid-June my camera had V1.13. Six months later we've gone through several betas to get to V1.20. OTOH, the Sena Prism I bought two years ago is still at 1.00. Problem? Problem? I see no problem. [/grin]

Dont get me wrong i am glad the wifi and app are there, its just rare i personally have a use for it.

At least my eyes are still good enough to read the screen, but they better not make the icons and letters smaller cuz then i really do need to get my finger out and get glasses for reading.
All very easy when you don't have a motorcycle helmet on and it's a nuisance to climb out of it to stare at the screen. Ditto for bicycle gear, sky-diving, and skiing/boarding. [/smile]

If i had a motorcycle license, i would have been dead in the 90ties i am sure.
I like to try one though but on a track, and the one owning it better put on just a little gasoline and up his insurance on it, cuz i am inclined to think i am better than "the doctor" and willing to try and prove that.
And besides a little road rash never killed anyone, unless my old friend that dismounted his Suzuki katana in the late 80ties at 120 km/h in a town zone ( 50 km/h )
Thats when he cemented his reputation as the most whining person any of us ever known.

"Road rash", a permanent , nasty , and ugly consequence of acting stupidly on your bike! It's why I always wore leather and boots! Giving up my Harleys was hard!

Um... more like the consequences of a fight between friction and centrifugal forces, with the rider the loser. How the fight started is another topic. But a rider that hasn't had a sphincter-tightening moment or two hasn't been far from home...

I haven't gotten a response to my ticket about overheating. I'l pass along whatever news there is.

I said earlier that SJCam needs to "beware of the 500 pound Swiss Army knife". It's hard to say "this is one feature too many" to something taken from the wishlist. OTOH, the menu is amazingly long right now. And the purpose of some of the functions isn't immediately obvious. Auto Low Light is a good example. Does it boost sensor output in low light situations, or slow down the fps? (For that matter, does anyone know what the exposure times are for the various frame rates? Hint: frame rate does not equal exposure time. ) Anyway, IMHO, some housecleaning is needed before adding more features. Probably some features aren't used or needed. Some may be consolidated with another function. And there should be a full expiation of what a function does. "Turns on and off Automatic Low Light" is ...um... about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

In mid-June my camera had V1.13. Six months later we've gone through several betas to get to V1.20. OTOH, the Sena Prism I bought two years ago is still at 1.00. Problem? Problem? I see no problem. [/grin]

What is your ticket number?

Maybe make a bullet proof list of excel with suggestions.

#23620 SJ7 Star reaches 135F/57C while videoing

I hope someone is managing a list of "needed yesterday", " work on this", and "we'll get around to it" fixes and "why didn't we think of that", "lets go ahead on this", "next time", and "you wish!" ranking for features.

#23620 SJ7 Star reaches 135F/57C while videoing

I hope someone is managing a list of "needed yesterday", " work on this", and "we'll get around to it" fixes and "why didn't we think of that", "lets go ahead on this", "next time", and "you wish!" ranking for features.
yes, there is an online google excel with bug reports, features request in the Tester's forum.

"Road rash", a permanent , nasty , and ugly consequence of acting stupidly on your bike! It's why I always wore leather and boots! Giving up my Harleys was hard!

My guy was wearing denim and clog shoes, but he did wear a helmet cuz the visor of it had rubber marks on it from the front wheel of the other guy following him on a yamaha DR350

Just go to tell a little about the people i sadly wasted part of my youth on :rolleyes:

When i get my hands on a time machine i am so going back to kick my own ass.

Denims and clogs?

This little clip is called :Why All Gear All The Time" (AGATT)
YouTube commentary said:
Watch the white van coming in from the right and stopping near the reddish van. Just another fun day at the office... Sorry about the lame horn. Blame BMW for that lamb's bleat.
ADDED: Sena Prism - 1080p@30 fps

Yeah not the sharpest guy, today he is 55 i recon and since he was 18 he have probably worked 2 weeks, the rest of his miserable life have been funded by the taxpayers. ( and his mom and dad that paid for his cars and motorcycle too )

Back