Just got my SG installed.. any adjustment tips? Having exposure problems..

Ah yes, mid 2015 the thick mount had a waffle pattern that kept the adhesive from sticking properly. (less surface) The waffle pattern has since been filled in flat and we use an adhesion promoter mount side now as well for an even better bond.

I have the V2 and it has the waffle pattern

That is where mine came detached

I have the V2 and it has the waffle pattern

That is where mine came detached

you need to use the thin mount, the thick one is only suitable for near vertical installs, if there's too much angle the weight of the camera will pull it away like that, it works best on smooth surfaces also, not sure how you'll go sticking either mount to the plastic trim though, 3M dual lock tape usually works better on that type of surface as it uses a different adhesive which works better on textured surfaces

Hehe.

I think back then there was little knowledge accumulated, so by chance i used the thin mount for the offset position as i was testing alongside my lukas in the middle of my windscreen.
And when the lukas got transferred to my sisters car the 9665GC got the prominent location, but then i used the thick mount so i had the thin mount in place in case i had to test other cameras with a simmilar mount.

The thin mount is still there on my windscreen waiting to be used, and if the thick mount come off again i will use some cyano glue on it too just like i did with the lukas in my sisters car.

And i will keep camera well clear of cyano glue while it harden, dont want to mess up the sweet coating on the lens.

...3M dual lock tape usually works better on that type of surface as it uses a different adhesive which works better on textured surfaces
That's what I'm using with my GC mounted on the sensor housing. The tape 'failed' when I initially installed it but that was because I didn't prep the surface properly. Cleaned the surface with alcohol and it's been solid for a year now.

I just re-mounted it entirely with the flat plate. I wasn't aware I had one.. I pretty much just took my UPS package straight to the installer, didn't know I had multiple. Prepped the surface with alcohol of course. The old tape seemed extremely well stuck to the plastic surface, so I think it will be fine where it is. That's really cool tape.. no residue left behind at all.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Looks like the thin plate also fixed my original angle issue, the reason for this thread in the first place. Now only about 15% of my dash is in the frame instead of close to 50%.

No problemo "Homer" just yell out if you run into other issues, we are all here to help.

PS: You are avare that you can turn the lens up and down ? confuse me a little there is so much difference in visible dashbord between the 2 mounts.

...3M dual lock tape usually works better on that type of surface as it uses a different adhesive which works better on textured surfaces

That's what I'm using with my GC mounted on the sensor housing. The tape 'failed' when I initially installed it but that was because I didn't prep the surface properly. Cleaned the surface with alcohol and it's been solid for a year now.
Just thought I'd post a quick update on using the 3M dual lock for mounting on my sensor housing.

After being solid for about a year I've had the dual lock separate from the sensor housing three times in the last week or so. The first time I just stuck it back on and it was OK for 3 or 4 days then fell off again. I then cleaned the sensor housing with alcohol and used new dual lock tape only to have it fail again within a couple of days.

Not sure what's happening here but my suspicion is the plastic housing is starting to 'out gas' some of the oils used in manufacture and affecting the bond.

I haven't decided whether to go back to the industrial strength Velcro (adhesive on that is much 'stickier' than the dual lock) or try the VHB and see how that may work out.

Edit: Decided to go with the VHB and mount directly to the windshield (windscreen). Not as 'stealthy' as when mounted on the sensor housing but less hassle for right now. Camera only sits about 1/4" lower into my FOV so not a big deal in that regard.

The issue with the dual lock adhering to the sensor housing is definitely an issue with the housing plastic as the dual lock was still adhered to the mounting plate very tightly.

Last edited:
I had sort of the same happen when i put the old Lukas into my sisters car, for some reason the base of the camera would no longer work with dualsided tape.
So after trying 3 times with new tape every time i ended up putting some cyano glue on the base of the camera, and after that the camera stayed in place.

I have never had any tape come off the glass of the windscreen, its allways the tape / camera side that fail.

... it works best on smooth surfaces also, not sure how you'll go sticking either mount to the plastic trim though, 3M dual lock tape usually works better on that type of surface as it uses a different adhesive which works better on textured surfaces
Is the 3M 'advantage' on textured surfaces a function of the adhesive or the overall thickness of the tape + adhesive over the overall thickness of the VHB? Do you think that a double thickness of VHB would allow it to conform to the surface better?

Is the 3M 'advantage' on textured surfaces a function of the adhesive or the overall thickness of the tape + adhesive over the overall thickness of the VHB? Do you think that a double thickness of VHB would allow it to conform to the surface better?

I think it's a bit both, it is a different type of adhesive but the thickness of the material I think gives more of an allowance for differences between the mating surfaces

I think it's a bit both, it is a different type of adhesive but the thickness of the material I think gives more of an allowance for differences between the mating surfaces
OK. Tomorrow I think I'll give it a try with a double thickness of VHB and hope I don't have the same degradation of the adhesion that developed with the dual-lock.

Even though having the GC mounted directly on the glass doesn't obscure my vision much more it does make the camera much more visible from the outside and if I can address that I would like to.

Even though having the GC mounted directly on the glass doesn't obscure my vision much more it does make the camera much more visible from the outside and if I can address that I would like to.
the white colour or something? just paint the outside of window black.

the white colour or something? just paint the outside of window black.
No, the VHB is dark grey/black. Just when it's mounted on the glass it shows up more in silhouette against the interior. When mounted on the sensor housing you could still see it but it appeared to be more integrated and not as obvious. (I'm kind of anal about that kind of stuff. :rolleyes: )

Edit: Before I do anything I'll try to get some decent pictures to show the difference.

Edit 2: Prior to using the dual-lock to mount on the sensor housing I was using industrial strength Velcro. It worked well but, being as it was Velcro, on rough roads it allowed the camera to vibrate a little - nothing major but I'm kind of anal about that as well. :rolleyes:

Edit 3: I'm really anal about having the camera mounted on the center line of the vehicle. That's why it has to be on or under the sensor housing instead of along side it. :D

Last edited:
Back