Just want to say hello

RichardX

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
I haven't visited here for a while because my SG9665GC works so well that it's become almost part of the furniture. I turn the ignition on and a few seconds later I hear the tones to say that the SG9665GC is active. These days, I don't even hear the tones unless I concentrate. It's just there and it just works 100%.

When I watch videos on "dash cam owners Australia", I can almost always pick an SG video by the quality.

A friend asked about dash cams and I replied with details of Street Guardian. I checked that the level and quality of the support that convinced me to buy in the first place was still the same, and that got me to here.

So, thank you, Rick.

I haven't visited here for a while because my SG9665GC works so well that it's become almost part of the furniture. I turn the ignition on and a few seconds later I hear the tones to say that the SG9665GC is active. These days, I don't even hear the tones unless I concentrate. It's just there and it just works 100%.

When I watch videos on "dash cam owners Australia", I can almost always pick an SG video by the quality.

A friend asked about dash cams and I replied with details of Street Guardian. I checked that the level and quality of the support that convinced me to buy in the first place was still the same, and that got me to here.

So, thank you, Rick.
My feelings exactly

I have had my SG9665GC-V2 for over a year and still can't find anything to complain about-----Thanks for a great camera

no, thank you, we are nothing without customers
Very true. But your company's philosophy has made me a welded-on customer. Have you ever heard the statement "This would work perfectly if we didn't have any users"? It doesn't apply to you.

Very true. But your company's philosophy has made me a welded-on customer. Have you ever heard the statement "This would work perfectly if we didn't have any users"? It doesn't apply to you.

can't say I've ever heard that one before

we are very appreciative of our early adopters though and will be doing some special offers on some new products that are coming specifically for anyone that bought an SG9665GC V1, without those that took that leap of faith and gave us a shot on the first version of the product we wouldn't be here now

"This would work perfectly if we didn't have any users"

I think thats the motto of most Danish public sectors :(

A little while back they reformed the system for the public schools, now a few months later even before most of the new stuff is implemented there is talks about changing things again.
Make it more and more easy for me justifying to myself that me not voting is one of the smartest things i ever done, but i am eagerly waiting for someone to vote on, but it seem like old as well as new parties just want to get into that same grove things been stuck in for decades.

And it is pretty nice in politics and business in general when some one stick their neck out and try something new, even if that new isent really inventing a new kind of wheel that will revolutionize transportation.

... without those that took that leap of faith and gave us a shot on the first version of the product we wouldn't be here now
Upgrades are an easy call considering the quality of the camera and the outstanding support.

While I mostly agree; and Rick's customer service is awesome. I'm still having a few niggling issues with my SG.
The adhesive is poor. Every time I get in my car I have to press the camera back to the windscreen as it has half come off. I've had Rick send me replacements; but I'm wondering if there is something stronger.
I still inconsistently get the "Format Card" message on car start-ups. I'm forever checking the camera to make sure it's working; and not showing the Format Card message.
When it is working, it's great, but these issue (previously mentioned), have really killed my confidence in the unit; which is a shame because I really want to like it.

Last edited:
Sound like you should get a new model, are you using the factory trancend card ?

Not that i think its the SD card, cuz i have tried a bunch of different cards in the GC and they all worked fine, and i am most inclined to thing if the Format card is just a regular bleep on the screen and the card are working anyway.
Too bad you are not down the street or i had another card you could try just for the hell of it.

Feeling safe and confident in your dashcam are major things i think.

The adhesive is not to blame, mounting surface should ideally be cleaned with an alcohol wipe and allowed to dry before pasting the mounting bracket to the windshield. Gets just as hot here, never had any issues with the tape falling off the windshield even when parked without any cover. SG uses 3M VHB 5952, doubt you'll find anything in the consumer bracket that's better.

Try a different card.

While I mostly agree; and Rick's customer service is awesome. I'm still having a few niggling issues with my SG.
The adhesive is poor. Every time I get in my car I have to press the camera back to the windscreen as it has half come off. I've had Rick send me replacements; but I'm wondering if there is something stronger.
I still inconsistently get the "Format Card" message on car start-ups. I'm forever checking the camera to make sure it's working; and not showing the Format Card message.
When it is working, it's great, but these issue (previously mentioned), have really killed my confidence in the unit; which is a shame because I really want to like it.
I've looked at your previous posts regarding the issues you have and you've received many suggestions but have never responded as to whether or not you've tried them and what the results were.

I've never had an adhesion issue with any of my 3 SG9665GC cameras, not have I had any issues with 'Format Card' messages. The first sounds like an issue with having a contaminated surface when the camera is mounted and the second appears to be a card issue versus camera.

The adhesive is not to blame, mounting surface should ideally be cleaned with an alcohol wipe and allowed to dry before pasting the mounting bracket to the windshield. Gets just as hot here, never had any issues with the tape falling off the windshield even when parked without any cover. SG uses 3M VHB 5952, doubt you'll find anything in the consumer bracket that's better.

Try a different card.
Thank you; and yes, I've done all that.
It's not the windscreen that the adhesive fails on; it's the other side (plastic).

It's not the windscreen that the adhesive fails on; it's the other side (plastic).
Interesting. Is it the thicker mount with the honeycomb on the adhesive side? They've been known to have issues because of the reduced surface area. Newer thick mounts have a different structure to address this issue.

If a new adhesive pad is used, the same process of cleaning applies to the mount too.

Interesting. Is it the thicker mount with the honeycomb on the adhesive side? They've been known to have issues because of the reduced surface area. Newer thick mounts have a different structure to address this issue.
No, standard one.

If the 3M VHB tape is failing to adhere to a glass surface it is an indication that it was not applied properly. Not only does the surface need to be cleaned and prepared properly but it can take as long as 72 hours to achieve a full bond.

See THIS LINK for 3M's VHB tape Technical Bulletin (PDF) for surface prep and application procedures.

If the supplied tape is failing on the mounting plate, reapply fresh tape but don't install the camera for at least 12-24 hours after you have applied the plate. One time I had a similar problem with the honeycombed mounting plate but after carefully applying new tape with appropriate pressure and waiting overnight before mounting the camera I have had no problems for over a year now. Make sure to clean the mounting plate with alcohol as well as the glass and allow to dry before applying the tape.

Edit: You can abrade the surface of the plastic mounting plate with some course sandpaper to improve the bond.

Last edited:
I've looked at your previous posts regarding the issues you have and you've received many suggestions but have never responded as to whether or not you've tried them and what the results were.

I've never had an adhesion issue with any of my 3 SG9665GC cameras, not have I had any issues with 'Format Card' messages. The first sounds like an issue with having a contaminated surface when the camera is mounted and the second appears to be a card issue versus camera.

If it helps to "fill in the gaps"; Rick sent me a new unit with memory card. While the frequency of the "Format Card" messages has decreased; they haven't gone all together.

I had the same sudden sticker issue with my old Lukas when i moved it to my little sisters car, no matter what i did the camera would no longer stick good to the dual sided tape.

So what i ended up with was putting cyano glue on the camera surface and then press that against the dual sided tape it had fallen off again.
And since then it have stayed in place, and the strong glue is no problem as its not on the windscreen but just the camera and dual sided tape.

You could try the same between the dual sided tape and the GC mount.

I have no idea why the lukas suddenly behaved like that, i tried several times and chemicals to clean the surface, and in the end i even sanded down the surface to make sure it was clean Lukas plastic i was sticking the tape to.

If you try this to be on the safe side keep the camera away from the CA glue as it harden between the mount and the dual sided tape.

CA glue ( fumes ) and lens coatings are not the best mix.

...Rick sent me a new unit with memory card. While the frequency of the "Format Card" messages has decreased; they haven't gone all together.
Since the issue persists with multiple cameras and cards (and the fact that yours is the only instance of this that I've heard of) I would suspect some cause other than the camera/card.

Is there anything happening prior to getting the 'format' message that is outside of the ordinary? I'm thinking along the lines of removing/reinserting the card (especially doing that while the camera is powered on), putting it in your computer/phone/tablet, disconnecting the power source, etc., anything that might be happening that is not happening when you do not get the message.

Back